U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-30-2006, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,659 times
Default Athens, GA

Hi, we are looking to move out of Florida, as so many others are. I've heard that Athens has a lot going on while still being sort of a small town. We have 3 children, so I'm interested in the public schools. I'm currently homeschooling, but I would like to have the option of putting them back in school. Is there a homeschool community there? I would appreciate any info at all on the area or any other good family-friendly areas in GA.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-21-2006, 07:51 PM

17 posts, read 94,849 times
Check out Oconee county.

Unread 12-05-2006, 11:30 PM

12 posts, read 64,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec31 View Post
Check out Oconee county.
I second that. I always hear good things about their schools. However if you are already homeschooling,,,,, I would say a parent one on one can do a better job than the gov't of teaching a child.

Unread 06-29-2007, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,753 times
Default homeschooling in Athens Ga

We homeschool our 4 girls in Athens. There are lots of homeschoolers and groups to join here. Go to homeschoolclassifieds.com and check for groups in the area. Also, www.genesistree.mysite.com (broken link) is the website of a group my kids are in. We have also been in Master's Academy which is great too! Athens Area Homeschoolers is a great support group and so is FCHE.

Oconee has good schools, but we have friends who have their kids there and they have just as many problems as other public schools. If you want your kids to enjoy public school, get them in the gitfted program. We have friends who have their kids in gifted in Athens and they love it.

Either way, stay involved in your education!
Take care!

Unread 06-29-2007, 06:07 PM

511 posts, read 1,640,071 times
Athens is a great city, it is full of youth, especially with UGA being located there, the city has a great college vibe, while still be a great family oriented town, to think both can kinda go hand in hand. The city is also not to far from Downtown Atlanta, which a great thing to be able to get to Atlanta, to mayb catch a Falcons ( Football ), Braves(Baseball), Hawks(Basketball), or Thrashers (Hockey) game. You will also be able to visit the Worlds Largest Aquarium within a breeze. The area is great, and I would suggest moving there over Oconee County.

Unread 07-05-2007, 12:11 AM

79 posts, read 223,561 times
My kids are also homeschooled and there are great groups in and around Athens, GA. Check out the athletic opportunities for homeschoolers (broken link)here and a great group that offers supplemental classes, field trips, etc that is about 20 minutes from Athens.

Oconee County public schools consistently score high and the community is great over there, but you will typically pay more for housing in that area.

Unread 03-02-2011, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,007 times
I'm a homeschool father of 4 from Athens, GA that has created a website that allows you to file your Declaration of Intent and monthly attendance records online. 1,100+ families have signed up since Jan 2010.

The site is easy to use and a huge time-saver! Once you sign up you'll be able to file your monthly attendance in 30 seconds.

HomeschoolCompliance.com uses an electronic signature so you can email a PDF copy of your forms. This eliminates sending the forms in by mail (postage stamps, printer ink, paper, & envelops). There’s an auto email reminder each month which links the user to their monthly attendance forms. I’ve built many time saving features into the system, such as pre-checking off Monday – Friday and it auto calculates the total days of attendance each month as well as the cumulative days for the year.

When the local school district receives the report, you receive a return receipt email stating that they have received the report with the date and time of receipt.

[url]https://www.homeschoolcompliance.com/[/url]

Unread 04-07-2011, 06:10 PM

14 posts, read 18,258 times
Also, if you like music, Athens has had a rich indie rock scene w/ tons of local bands, with the two most famous ever from Athens are the B-52s and R.E.M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia