Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:43 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,118,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
But you know what....

everyone does not violate the super speeder law! Most people go a few over... not 20 over.

It is a growing smaller percentage of people on our highways and rural routes that think it is acceptable to go 15, 20, and even 30 over.

Everyone doesn't do that and shouldn't.

That was the point of the super speeder law.

Our state has laws on the books that actually make it hard for Police to set up speed traps. They make it hard for people to get a ticket for going just a few over (9mph over and less actually). Our state gives people the benefit of the doubt when they are somewhat near the speed limit.

However, this law also says... hey, wait... you're going this fast!?! Enough is enough! One way or another... that is way over that safety buffer of mistakenly going over the speed limit.

We'll be easy on the people going barely over, but we will be aggressive for people driving speeds that are statistically very dangerous for how the roads were designed.
Exactly. Someone gets it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 891 times
So what about when you get stopped and the officer bluntly lies about how fast you were really going?? What then?

Recently was traveling south on i75 - I could see from far 3 cops with lights on the shoulder side with already cars stopped with them. Obviously, my speed decreased. As I past by them, one of the cars standing there started heading out and so did the cop. Lord and behold, he tailed me and stopped me. Now, he comes over and said I was going 90MPH on a 70 and proceeded to ask for license and insurance (who even asks for insurance anymore???) Anyway, I gave him the license and never even bothered with insurance after that. I contested about the speed - I may have been going 79-80 on cruise control and decreased from that speed miles before even reaching them. Tell me that I was going 80 and I would accept that. But 90 on 70 fully knowing they were there miles away??? He didn't even care and gave me the ticket anyway. How is this just?? But wait, there's more... Come to see the ticket later to realize he put 95MPH on a 70!!! YES - Lied yet again... Now please tell me how THIS is even just?? And since apparently the only thing the court needs is the "cop" as evidence... How can you even fight this?? HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!

Old 09-04-2014, 12:41 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,449,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzyb33 View Post
. . . can you even fight this?? HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!
Hire an attorney.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:37 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,687,817 times
Quote:
So what about when you get stopped and the officer bluntly lies about how fast you were really going?? What then?

Recently was traveling south on i75 - I could see from far 3 cops with lights on the shoulder side with already cars stopped with them. Obviously, my speed decreased. As I past by them, one of the cars standing there started heading out and so did the cop. Lord and behold, he tailed me and stopped me. Now, he comes over and said I was going 90MPH on a 70 and proceeded to ask for license and insurance (who even asks for insurance anymore???) Anyway, I gave him the license and never even bothered with insurance after that. I contested about the speed - I may have been going 79-80 on cruise control and decreased from that speed miles before even reaching them. Tell me that I was going 80 and I would accept that. But 90 on 70 fully knowing they were there miles away??? He didn't even care and gave me the ticket anyway. How is this just?? But wait, there's more... Come to see the ticket later to realize he put 95MPH on a 70!!! YES - Lied yet again... Now please tell me how THIS is even just?? And since apparently the only thing the court needs is the "cop" as evidence... How can you even fight this?? HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!
well first and foremost this is an issue of proper enforcement and not an issue with the law itself.

It doesn't matter how fast you were going when you passed them, just how fast when they clocked you. (ie. get rid of the extraneous arguments and facts and focus on what is important)

Do discuss this with a traffic lawyer. They will pick over things such as how the officer followed legal procedure, what device he used, how it was calibrated, how the officer knows he was tracking your specific car (radar is less precise than laser), etc...

DO NOT pay the ticket and ignore it.... as you will get a follow up charge on the super speeder law after the fact, in which case you've already admitted to how fast you were going by paying the ticket.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:39 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,213,904 times
Quote:
.. How can you even fight this?? HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!

I had this happen to me once with a GSP. I went to the sheriff with my complaint. Within a couple of weeks, three other complaints came in against the same officer, and the sheriff dropped all citations. It stands to reason that if they'll do it once, they'll do it again, and certainly multiple complaints about the same officer would help your chances of getting it dropped.

I would start there, and then plan on going to court.

Oh, and i had my cruise set on 59 in a 55; the GSP said he clocked me at 70, then told me i had a defective speedometer.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:19 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,449,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
Oh, and i had my cruise set on 59 in a 55; the GSP said he clocked me at 70, then told me i had a defective speedometer.
I have heard that you can often get tickets dropped if you can prove that the speedometer was inaccurate. A written statement from a mechanic is usually needed. Granted, if the cop is lying, this will be of little help to you.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:06 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,213,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
I have heard that you can often get tickets dropped if you can prove that the speedometer was inaccurate. A written statement from a mechanic is usually needed. Granted, if the cop is lying, this will be of little help to you.
well, it wasn't defective though; he was flat out lying.

I was an 18 yr old college student and what he probably thought was an easy target. I was lucky in the fact that A) he was a repeat offender, and B) other drivers he did this to also reported it to the sheriff.

The odd part in all of this was that he was so polite about it. He kept me on the side of the road for a good 30 minutes just chatting about this and that, wanting to know how school was going, etc. . . which I ended up being late to. Then he thanked me for being so polite back to him. The real problem here is ticket quotas, which as far as I know are not legal, but fully enforced by many departments.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:42 AM

130 posts, read 208,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I really, really, really wish Georgia would increase funding for highway patrollers. But that's not going to happen, because in this state, speeding is a constitutional right, and enforcing the LAW is a violation of personal liberty and can be considered grounds for secession.
Fines dont make the public any safer. Just another case of fleecing the citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: