Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2006, 09:50 PM

5 posts, read 40,834 times

Advertisements

My family (wife and 2 1/2 year old daughter) are considering moving to Gainesville GA for work. I am in the medical field and there is a very good opportunity there for me. I would love to read any opinions on moving to this city. We have visited twice and have been quite impressed... very nice medical center, shopping, town square, lakes and not to far to atl and airport.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 41,277 times
Talking Just my opinion.....

Gainesville is an excellent place to live! I am also in the medical profession (RN) and believe there are unlimited career choices. At the moment I love the hospital where I work but if I ever decide to make a change it wouldn't be diffucult to change locations in the city.

I don't have any children yet but I was born and raised in Gainesville. The schools are some of the best in the country. I can't think of any where else in Georgia, or any other state for that matter, that I'd rather raise a family.

You couldn't go wrong moving to Gainesville.

Nicole Harrell

Old 12-22-2007, 04:00 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
Gainesville is also something of a gateway town to the north Georgia mountains. From Gainesville, you are only about 40 minutes from some great hiking, fishing, waterfalls, etc.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:35 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Gainesville isn't a bad place, but I would certainly not say that the schools are some of the best in the country, not even the state. The schools have large populations of illegal immigrants; one school a couple of years ago had gang members walk right into the school in broad daylight looking for one of their enemies. Working in Gainesville is great, but look carefully at the schools before you choose a place to live, perhaps elsewhere in Hall County or better yet, Forsyth.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 41,277 times
Every large city in the United States has a school "horror story". Schools have changed everywhere. Just google the Forsyth county school system. They have a few of their own. I was in private school growing up so maybe my opinion of the schools here aren't what you're looking for. For me... Gainesville was a wonderful place to grow up.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:22 AM

6 posts, read 49,730 times
How far is Gainesville, Georgia from the mountains?

Old 01-28-2008, 03:49 PM

483 posts, read 2,093,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_2_ga View Post
How far is Gainesville, Georgia from the mountains?
20-30 miles in any northern or northeast direction will get you into nice mountains, including the start of the Appalachian Trail. 100 gets you into the heart of the Smokies.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:39 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,799,808 times
Default Info on Gainesville

We moved from central FL to Gainesville. Here is my advice:

1. Avoid Gainesville City Schools. The demographics are dismal.
Hall County schools are better, but still about 25-30% Hispanic these days.
2. You will see chicken trucks hauling live chickens all around the area. Not a pretty sight, and often chickens fall out and end up as roadkill.
3. The area is heavily Hispanic (Mexican). Some areas of Gainesville are like Little Mexico - it's that bad. The corridor from Atlanta to Gainesville has become a major drug running hub. Mexican gangs are being busted with pot, meth, etc. New teachers to the Gainesville & Hall county schools have to take a 2 hour gang awareness unit as part of their induction.
4. I think crime is mostly confined to the above mentioned areas. I feel a lot safer here than we ever did in Orlando (but that's not really saying much given how horrible O-town was for crime) I have heard recent reports of check stealing out of mailboxes.

Gainesville is a strange mix of million dollar lake mansions and low income Mexicans. I really have no idea where people eat dinner out around here. We have barely any restaurants. (but lots of really cheap $5 buffets where you will be the only white person there). We like the fact that we are about 1/2 hour from the Mall of GA and also the mountains for hiking. Lake Lanier is looking sad these days due to the drought. The water color went from clear blue/green (something never seen in FL) to muddy red/brown GA clay color. At least it is filling back up. There is a big medical community here. The people are very church oriented and you can really find some backward country types around sometimes. (you know they have never left GA)
North Hall county is beautiful, with rolling hills, and old farms. Lots of new expensive homes being built in that area. For teenagers, there is not much to do around here. There are lots of older (50-60+) folks. White folks ages 18-30 are nowhere to be found.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:48 PM

4 posts, read 45,915 times
Default Medical jobs in Gainesville?

My husband and I are going to be checking out the Gainesville/Dahlonega area to relocate. I am a Rad Tech/Mammo Tech. I understand I will probably need to look for a job in Gainesville. Are there many medical outpatient clinics in the area? Any thoughts as to places I should check out while there this summer as possible job prospects in my field?

We have visited the north GA area often for hiking and have found it to be beautiful and the people very friendly and helpful.

Thank you for your help.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:44 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crae View Post
My husband and I are going to be checking out the Gainesville/Dahlonega area to relocate. I am a Rad Tech/Mammo Tech. I understand I will probably need to look for a job in Gainesville. Are there many medical outpatient clinics in the area? Any thoughts as to places I should check out while there this summer as possible job prospects in my field?

We have visited the north GA area often for hiking and have found it to be beautiful and the people very friendly and helpful.

Thank you for your help.
Check into Northeast Georgia Medical Center, and/or the Imaging center at the Northeast Georgia Diagnostic Clinic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia