U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 PM

907 posts, read 858,298 times

Advertisements

I'm reading that people write Athens is hot AND humid in the summer. I am trying to get a sense of just HOW hot and humid it gets, and how long it lasts.

One of the other areas we are looking at is Mount Pleasant, SC, 8 miles from Charleston, SC, on the coast as well, not inland. I have heard the summer there described as "Hotter than the back doors of H...", last from June - Oct.

Is that the kind of heat/humidity we're talking about in Athens?

I would think that being near the ocean with a bit of a breeze wouldn't be as bad, but I know the humidity is higher on the coast, so not sure if Athens would be a bit cooler, not as humid, and perhaps not hot as long as Charleston area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 09:34 PM

3,770 posts, read 2,942,726 times
Average Weather for Athens, GA - Temperature and Precipitation

You can also click to look at record lows and highs, but be careful... those are single day extremes across decades of data.

Nonetheless, it paints a picture. All of the cities you are looking at in the south will be somewhat similar in temperature and humidity.

Most of the south is a humid, semi-tropical environment. It is typical it will get into the 90s for the daily high for about 2-3 months and the daily low will be around 65-70. The 3 extreme winter months avgs 50s in the high and low 30s in the low

However, extreme days will happen... every few years it will get into triple digits for a few days and every few years it can get particularly cold in winter.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,745,631 times
Not just the heat and humidity in the summer but the pollen storm in spring that lasts for weeks. Everything turns yellow. Washing a car is useless. Clouds of yellow pollen. I doubt climate web sites will give you that tidbit. It has been one item tempting us to move out of the state.

The best time of year is autumn in Athens and it doesn't last nearly long enough.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:55 PM

876 posts, read 1,175,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
I'm reading that people write Athens is hot AND humid in the summer. I am trying to get a sense of just HOW hot and humid it gets, and how long it lasts.

One of the other areas we are looking at is Mount Pleasant, SC, 8 miles from Charleston, SC, on the coast as well, not inland. I have heard the summer there described as "Hotter than the back doors of H...", last from June - Oct.

Is that the kind of heat/humidity we're talking about in Athens?

I would think that being near the ocean with a bit of a breeze wouldn't be as bad, but I know the humidity is higher on the coast, so not sure if Athens would be a bit cooler, not as humid, and perhaps not hot as long as Charleston area.
Coastal South Carolina gets hot and it is brutal there, even just a few miles inland. Athens summer weather is less humid but still hot for many, but if you are not used to the hot weather in the south, you might think all of it is too hot. YMMV.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:04 AM

907 posts, read 858,298 times
What is YMMV?

How long does the high heat last in Athens? Does Athens have four seasons?

Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,745,631 times
Yes to 4 seasons.

Heat is usually at its height in July/Aug/Mid-september. Doesn't typically get cold until November and then that is debatable if you compare to NE or MW temps.

The problem some have when they relocate to anywhere is finding they have allergies to something in the new environment. Another reason to rent for a year.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 AM

617 posts, read 466,164 times
As someone who has lived in Athens for 5 years I have to say that it can get pretty hot, but not any different from the rest of the deep south. Compared to Atlanta it's always a few degrees cooler in the winter and a few degrees hotter in the summer. Must be the elevation.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,641,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
As someone who has lived in Athens for 5 years I have to say that it can get pretty hot, but not any different from the rest of the deep south. Compared to Atlanta it's always a few degrees cooler in the winter and a few degrees hotter in the summer. Must be the elevation.
The Atlanta metro is around 1000 feet ASL. The center of Athens is 646 ft.

Here's a comparison between the two weather-wise. Looks like you're mostly right.

City Climate Comparisons

Old 01-12-2013, 10:13 PM

13 posts, read 19,485 times
I grew up in Montgomery, Alabama. I much prefer the climate in Athens, where we do USUALLY (except not this year apparently) get four seasons, and the summers are nowhere near as hot and sticky.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 AM

241 posts, read 212,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Average Weather for Athens, GA - Temperature and Precipitation

You can also click to look at record lows and highs, but be careful... those are single day extremes across decades of data.

Nonetheless, it paints a picture. All of the cities you are looking at in the south will be somewhat similar in temperature and humidity.

Most of the south is a humid, semi-tropical environment. It is typical it will get into the 90s for the daily high for about 2-3 months and the daily low will be around 65-70. The 3 extreme winter months avgs 50s in the high and low 30s in the low

However, extreme days will happen... every few years it will get into triple digits for a few days and every few years it can get particularly cold in winter.
Good post He's right. This ain't Nebraska you know.

Learn to do what we do, stay indoors during the summer, run hell out of your air conditioner, take lots of showers.

But the up side is that you pay that price because nothing in the world is as pretty as Georgia in the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia