U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM

12 posts, read 54,959 times

Advertisements

Hello, I live in Florida, near the Tampa Bay area. Im a huge outdoors fan, I love hiking, biking, mountains, trails, creeks, wilderness and nature.
My boyfriend and I are looking to take a weekend here soon just to escape our town for a few days. We dont have a ton of money, therefore we are trying to figure the closest Mountain trails in Georgia. Only looking to drive from 6-8 hours. Hopefully something close to a cabin rental or cheap hotel? We will be outside majority of the weekend anyways, so it really doesnt matter where we stay. As long as its affordable.
I went to Cartersville last year for a week, I forget what the mountain was called, but I hiked it, took an hour, and it was beautiful.
Im hoping to find something a bit south of Atlanta though. So the drive wont be too crazy.
PLEASE HELP! Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 AM

10,278 posts, read 21,175,413 times
Callaway Gardens
Pine Mountain Tourism Association : Welcome!

Pine Mountain is the southernmost "mountain-ish" hiking area in Georgia. You'll have to do your own research as to what trails are where, etc. It's a good bit south of Atlanta.

oh, here are the trails:

http://www.gastateparks.org/FDRoosevelt

Last edited by ellie; 01-31-2013 at 10:47 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 11:41 AM

4,723 posts, read 6,604,570 times
Pine Mountain for sure. You can stay in Pine Mountain or if you want just stay in Columbus and drive up. Check out the new whitewater course in downtown Columbus too.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,282,702 times
Pine Mountain definitely! It's about 45 mins NE of Columbus. FDR State Park was built during the depression and has terrific old cabins for rent. Tons (miles) of hiking trails from very easy to very challenging. If you go a little later and time it just right you'll be able to enjoy the rhododendron in full bloom. Nearby Pine Mountain, Calllaway Gardens and Warm Springs offer plenty of things to see and do.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:15 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,200,933 times

Mountain Creek Trail-FDR State Park, Pine Mountain, Georgia - YouTube

Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 AM

23 posts, read 83,309 times
Lemme see: Lookout Mtn in the NW; Helen-Unicoi; anywhere close to Brasstown Bald. Everything along US76

Old 02-18-2013, 06:08 AM

574 posts, read 1,038,739 times
Dahlonega north is where you'll find mountain hiking.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:21 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,231,852 times
As a current resident of Warm Springs, GA (right next to FDR State Park), and a Wyoming Native.... there are *NO* mountains in GA. There are some Hills, mild Bumps in the landscape, but no Mountains. For that, you're in for a much longer journey.

But there is at least a couple hundred feet of elevation change here. And the state park has 43 miles of hiking trails, none allow mountain bikes or horses... All the trails are nice, very easy, strolls. Well marked and Very well used, even someone who's never been outside a concrete jungle could manage to stay on-trail. I believe there are a couple backpacking-only camping spots on the trail too, should you want to make a long weekend of it.

Welcome | Pine Mountain Trail Association

Map (new for 2013) is like $5 in the state park, printed on Tyvek so it's nice and durable.

Not much else in the area though. The post above for Calloway Gardens is about it, but it strikes me as a place for the "out of touch rich" to say they went to experience nature (it's all highly manicured/groomed).

Old 02-19-2013, 06:22 AM

574 posts, read 1,038,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
As a current resident of Warm Springs, GA (right next to FDR State Park), and a Wyoming Native.... there are *NO* mountains in GA. There are some Hills, mild Bumps in the landscape, but no Mountains. For that, you're in for a much longer journey.

But there is at least a couple hundred feet of elevation change here. And the state park has 43 miles of hiking trails, none allow mountain bikes or horses... All the trails are nice, very easy, strolls. Well marked and Very well used, even someone who's never been outside a concrete jungle could manage to stay on-trail. I believe there are a couple backpacking-only camping spots on the trail too, should you want to make a long weekend of it.

Map (new for 2013) is like $5 in the state park, printed on Tyvek so it's nice and durable.

Not much else in the area though. The post above for Calloway Gardens is about it, but it strikes me as a place for the "out of touch rich" to say they went to experience nature (it's all highly manicured/groomed).

In a few million years the mountains you refer to will be just like the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains. These mountains are much older and due to erosion over millions of years now are what you consider hills. I'd say a peak over 4700 feet is a mountain.

moun·tain

[moun-tn] Show IPA
noun 1. a natural elevation of the earth's surface rising more or less abruptly to a summit, and attaining an altitude greater than that of a hill, usually greater than 2000 feet (610 meters).

Old 02-19-2013, 06:33 AM

2,708 posts, read 3,507,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

I could show you plenty of mountains in Georgia. I've hiked the Absarokas, Bitterroots, lots of back country Yellowstone, archangel valley in Alaska, Rocky Mountain NP, Glacier, and many other places from New Mexico to the Yukon. You've either not been around, or your bias is showing. For what the OP is looking for, Pine Mountain is in your range, but I would drive a little further. You must have been at Red Top in Cville. Try the Cohutta Wilderness area east of Cisco, or if you want a nice SP, make the drive over to Cloudland Canyon. 1000 foot gorge with plenty of trails and waterfalls. Stop through Rome and try the Fried Green tomato sandwich at Dandylyons bistro. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or