U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-14-2007, 01:41 AM

10 posts, read 53,516 times
Default Hi Seaharbour

Hi Seaharbour, Just wondering where's your native area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-14-2007, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,366 times
I live outside of Cartersville in Euharlee with my 5 kids and husband and we love it here. As for the power plant, I have always thought that being closer to the plant means that we prob. get less pollution than cities that are down wind. There is plenty to choose from in houses under $175,000. I am in real estate and we moved here from Kennesaw 5 years ago so that we could afford a really nice home. Good luck.
Stella

Unread 07-19-2008, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,622 times
Serious Jones,
Where do you get your info from regarding the pollution here
in Cartersville. Plant Bowen is now rated one of the cleanest coal burning
plants in the US,thanks to the multi million dollar scrubber
system that has been installed. Please before circulating info research
first before you post. I live here I know. By the way******where are you from.

KG

Unread 09-10-2008, 01:03 PM

kg42664
Don't wish to debate you on Plant Bowen. I happen to like Cartersville and surrounding area's. If you would have read my post more carefully I said "it was rated the worst emitter of toxic chemicals in the whole United States in 1998" NOT 2008. As to where I get my info/facts see links below. I copied a few article (links) regarding the Bowen Plant and its pollution problems over the years. I was pleased to read an article posted May 2008 in the Rome news Tribune about scrubbers being installed.

Plant Bowen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(In 2006, Bowen was the largest emitter of sulfur dioxide (SO2) into the atmosphere (at 206,442 tons) in the U.S., and ranked 39the worst in the nation in terms of sulfur dioxide emissions per kilowatt-hour of electricity produced)
(The Bowen plant is the third largest producer of carbon dioxide (a greenhouse gas) via power generation in the United States (after Plant Scherer and James H. Miller Jr. Power Plant), emitting 20.5 million tons of CO2 in the atmosphere each year)

Plant-Bowen | Fresh Loaf

Burning Atlanta: all the old regulatory weapons couldn't reform the Georgia power plant that is America's single biggest polluter. But a new law is working | Washington Monthly | Find Articles at BNET

Georgia - Communities at Risk - Toxics - Sierra Club

Rome News - Tribune (http://news.mywebpal.com/partners/680/public/news887782.html - broken link)

Unread 09-19-2008, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,126 times
I wish to debate that Plant Bowen is a nasty plant. 1. Wikipedia is hardly a credible source. Anyone that wants to can go and edit the entry.

Plant Bowen is currently one of the cleanest coal fired power plants in the US. The emissions that you see coming out of the taller stacks is disappearing. Those emissions, in the first place, were relatively low compared to similar sized plants. They included NOx and SO2. In the 90's, they installed SCR's, which stands for selective catalytic reduction. This reduced the emissions by large percentages. Last year, the first Scrubber was in operation on unit 3. The second is about to be in operation on unit 4. By 2010, all 4 units at Bowen will have scrubbers installed and the emissions from the plant will be 98% oxygen, as the scrubbers virtually eliminate the NOx and SO2 emissions. The large clouds you see coming out of the hourglass shaped cooling towers is water vapor, as the water in the plant is reused over and over. That is not NOx or SO2 emissions, it is purely water vapor. The tall stacks are the only ones that are emitting NOX and SO2, and you rarely see anything coming out of them because of the SCR's. The scrubbers will eliminate anything coming from those stacks as there will be a federal mandate that if the unit is on the scrubber is in operation.

Bowen is also one of the largest recycling centers in the world, as the ash produced is sold for use in concrete, etc. The water is reused over and over in the plant's cycle. And on and on.

The scrubbers that you see being constructed are going to produce two by products, water vapor and gypsum. The gypsum is being sold to a wall board manufacturer for use in sheet rock. The water vapor is just water vapor, and contains no polluting properties.

Perhaps you should get your facts in order before you condemn the place. It's always in the top 3 for power production in the United States anually (the nuclear plant in Arizona is always #1 and Bowen alternates between #2 and #3 depending on outages, etc). Yes, it looms large over the skyline, but the pollution produced in other types of plants and businesses is far larger than Bowen produces.

Unread 09-23-2008, 04:29 PM

Default Plant Bowen

Nice write up on Plant Bowen and I am assuming you are a local resident.?? After personally visiting Cartersville on a few different occasions and driving by the plant I did a little research online. Mainly because I was curious. First off I am not an authority and never claimed to be. However I did personally take the photo's that I posted so everyone reading this post could see exactly what the plant looks like. As for my facts not being in order that's a matter of opinion. The information I posted was not based on my personal opinions but was taken from articles written by credible news papers etc. I posted some of the links besides the Wikipedia website. It was not my intention to condemn Cartersville or surrounding area's. Most of the information I found online regarding the plant was negative except for some of the current upgrades that are now underway. I couldn't find any of those facts and figures that you've stated and if you are an authority or work at the plant I will take your word for it. Bottom line it is nice to know that they are upgrading Plant Bowen and addressing issues that have obviously been problems/health issues in the past.

Unread 11-30-2008, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,659 times
Default I own a home in Cartersville

Hi! Cartersville is a wonderful place to live. My husband and I own a home there but we recently decided to go back in the military. We want to sell our home and it would be under 173. We have a yard that definitely needs attention but a very nice inground pool with privacy. 2 car garage, 3 bedroom, 2 full bath, lots of closet space, and a downstairs basement that can be used as an additional bedroom or a just a playroom. It leads outside to the pool that has a deck all the way around. We are not sure if we want to sell it or just rent while we are stationed in California. Very quite neighborhood with access to one of the best schools in Bartow County. 10 minutes from downtown and 30 to Marietta. I love this place but unfortunately we were not able to stay. Feel free to contact me if you have questions about the area or if you are interested in our home. Thanks.

Unread 08-01-2010, 09:05 PM

4 posts, read 5,862 times
Default Moving to Georgia

I live in Arizona and will soon be transferred to Georgia. Our terminal is in Cartersville, Georgia. Can anyone give information on the best areas to live in within a 20mile radius of Cartersville. Information on shopping, intertainment, camping and fishing would also be helpful.

Unread 08-02-2010, 08:17 AM

8,863 posts, read 7,928,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell.1957 View Post
I live in Arizona and will soon be transferred to Georgia. Our terminal is in Cartersville, Georgia. Can anyone give information on the best areas to live in within a 20mile radius of Cartersville. Information on shopping, intertainment, camping and fishing would also be helpful.
Woodstock/Holly Springs/Canton might be locations to consider.

Woodstock - questions

Cartersville is a nice area, I haven't lived there but visited.

Unread 08-02-2010, 08:49 AM

7,650 posts, read 8,862,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
we had heard that you can get a nice home in Cartersville or Marietta for under 175? is this true?
While definitions of "nice" vary from person to person, the kind of home you can get for under $175,000 in Marietta would probably not qualify.

Marietta is a large area that includes the actual incorporated city, plus East Cobb and West Cobb that have Marietta postal addresses. $175,000 or below won't get you much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia