Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:47 AM

919 posts, read 3,183,972 times

Advertisements

We could afford a large home, but we rather save and invest, we had heard that you can get a nice home in Cartersville or Marietta for under 175? is this true? The big concern we have is schools and areas that might be going bad, so we def want to a nice home, 1500 sq feet with a two car garage in a nice subdivison with pools and etc and close to things, or a reasonable drive anyhow...can anyone direct me? Are there bad areas in within these areas? What schools are the best?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 09:52 AM

22 posts, read 145,272 times
is Cartersville a must?? we live 30 mins south of ATL and are considering moving ourselves--while, we havent decided if we are going to sell or rent our home out (if we do relocate)--our home might fit your needs. Our home is bigger than what you described and for a lot less than $175!! (on an 1.3 acre lot in a small subdivision)

Old 10-27-2007, 05:42 PM

My husband will be working in Cartersville, so yea it is, but thanks anyhow! Good luck on your home, we are also in the same boat as you are here!

Old 10-28-2007, 06:25 PM

102 posts, read 382,364 times
There are areas to avoid in both cities (like there is in every city) but for the most part they are nice areas. Marietta is closer to Atlanta, and the closer you get to the city the higher the cost of living will be. So you will be better of staying in Cartersville for a home at that price. The commute to Cartersville from Marietta is short with not a lot of traffic to fight because most of the traffic will be going towards Atlanta. The schools are decent here, but not too bad

Old 11-23-2007, 10:00 AM

10 posts, read 94,629 times
Default Cartersville

I am also relocating to GA and spent 2 weeks in Cartersville, checking out homes and areas. I found prices to be reasonable and they are building it up. What turned me off was the Bowen Power Plant. After doing some research I read this plant is a coal-fired power plant. In 1998, it was rated the worst emitter of toxic chemicals in the whole United States...Of course it's now 2007 but I did go by the plant and the smog cloud could be seen for miles. That was my big turn off to Cartersville. Recently I spent some time in Cumming. It was a bit more expensive then Cartersville but I did like that area better and is about the same distance to Atlanta.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:07 PM

58 posts, read 222,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Jones View Post
I am also relocating to GA and spent 2 weeks in Cartersville, checking out homes and areas. I found prices to be reasonable and they are building it up. What turned me off was the Bowen Power Plant. After doing some research I read this plant is a coal-fired power plant. In 1998, it was rated the worst emitter of toxic chemicals in the whole United States...Of course it's now 2007 but I did go by the plant and the smog cloud could be seen for miles. That was my big turn off to Cartersville. Recently I spent some time in Cumming. It was a bit more expensive then Cartersville but I did like that area better and is about the same distance to Atlanta.

I live a mile from Plant Bowen. Yes, it is coal fired, and was big on toxic chemicals. After a lot of controversy, Plant Bowen had to make a lot of changes. Adding several brushers to help with the pollution. Plant Bowen is growing by leaps and bounds. Walk out the front door and look to the left and that's all you can see. Looming large in the sky. And the sound is deafning when the plant lets off steam. It can be heard for 3 miles. It sits right on the out-skirts of the city of Euharlee, with the Euharlee River running right behind the plant. Plant Bowen may be a down-fall for Cartersville, but it is how we get our electricity.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:06 PM

102 posts, read 382,364 times
The thing with Plant Bowen is that most of the pollution that comes from it is worse on the areas around Cartersville, like Cobb and Fulton, more than it is here!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:36 AM

10 posts, read 94,629 times
Default Bowen Power Plant

Was looking at homes in a subdivison called Shaw Woods. Took a few photos of the plant (Nov 1st 2007).

Old 11-28-2007, 10:44 AM

7 posts, read 25,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Jones View Post
Was looking at homes in a subdivison called Shaw Woods. Took a few photos of the plant (Nov 1st 2007).

That sucks. Someone told me that was steam rising from those stacks, not toxic chemicals. I drove past that plant on my house search, and it didn't smell bad at all.

By the way, there are sooo many NICE houses in the OP's price range. I have an agent there, and he showed me damn near every inch of that city. One thing I would do, since you really want to move there is check the Sex Offender Registry. There are a lot of registered sex offenders there, and they are spread out all over the city. A house that I was going to buy was located across the street from one. It was a beautiful house that had been on the market for almost a year, and it took a lot of research to find out WHY it wasnt selling.

Otherwise, I love the area up there. I wish I could tell you the name of the area that overlooks the entire city, and I think the houses up there are in the 150k - 350k range. All I remember the area is the biggest hill in the city, and it is soooo beautiful up there.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:27 AM

Wow...(((THANKS))) We have deceided to return to our native area, where we grew up...gosh this is terrible and the toxic chems are allowed to still continue? my god! And the sex offenders, wish they cart them off to a island somewhere so the rest of us could live without fear for our children being killed...scarey times we live in..glad this thread was able to help you all, and i hope it continues onward..god bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia