U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-09-2013, 10:08 AM

5 posts, read 7,459 times
Default Best Rural Areas in GA

Hello -

I am considering a move from Colorado to somewhere in the midwest, south, or southeast in 2014. Georgia is one of the states I am researching. I will be working in Mental Health, and will be renting for at least a couple of years before I buy. I am looking for a small town feel, the best rural areas in Georgia to start researching. No children, but would like a decent quality of living. By "decent" I mean, clean neighborhood, low crime (don't we all want NO crime!?), and relatively quiet.

How is the "pet-friendly" housing situation in GA? I have a border collie and a cat, and would prefer to rent a house with a yard. I also aspire to owning alpaca in the next 2-3 years.

I also am passionate about American history so would love any information on access to historical towns, neighborhoods, resources.

Any resources you can point me to would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-09-2013, 10:43 AM

14,727 posts, read 16,436,480 times
I think you should find a job first, then narrow down the areas nearby.

Unread 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM

6,548 posts, read 10,634,591 times
Too hot for alpaca here. Try north GA or another state.

Unread 05-09-2013, 01:56 PM

14,727 posts, read 16,436,480 times
I was thinking, since you are a history buff, you might like up by the TN border. I remember it as being rural, but am not really familiar with the area.

Unread 05-10-2013, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 7,459 times
Thanks all - actually, I am finishing up my Masters in Mental Health Counseling, and from what I have found in my research thus far, if I don't mind working in the rural areas (which I certainly don't) then it looks like there are many job opps.

As for it being too hot for alpaca, I'd thought that too, but there do seem to be alot of breeders in the state - it's important to be able to keep them cool (fans in the bar, etc.) -

There are a lot of historical homes in GA for sale - something else I aspire to.

My understanding is that it's possible to find land less expensively in GA. As a single woman who is not exactly wealthy, this is something else I'm trying to figure into my equation for further down the road.

Again, any input is much appreciated! I would love to find a small town where I can walk to breakfast on Saturday morning, get out and hike without having to drive for 2 hours - and then meet 50,000 people when I get there. Is this doable in GA?

Unread 05-10-2013, 09:38 AM

6,548 posts, read 10,634,591 times
Here's a radical idea. Why not contact some of the Alpaca breeders who live near towns where there are job openings and get specific info from them?

I'm honestly not trying to dissuade you from pursuing your dream or getting information from the Savannah forum, but you might find better info on small towns and the likelihood of restaurants and hiking, as well as finding a small farm and an old house, if you make contacts in the right locations.

Are you thinking you'd like to live in or near Savannah? If you want general Georgia info, there's a better forum for asking questions regarding the entire state.

Our locale is quite flat and there's not much in the way of good hiking nearby. We're more influenced by water and tides here, and if we hike, we usually only do it during our very brief winter season when the ticks aren't as active.

Unread 05-10-2013, 10:05 AM

6,841 posts, read 14,733,342 times
I really don't think that you will find what you want in the southern part of the state. Maybe the northern part around Atlanta would do better. I doubt if the small south Georgia town would have much in your line of work.

Pet Friendly will depend on your land lord until you buy your own home. Small towns seldom have any sort of leash laws. Pets just run loose as they please.

For hiking, you need to be near a national or other public park area. Hiking on private land is trespassing.

Unread 05-12-2013, 04:23 PM

119 posts, read 65,630 times
Chickamauga, Ga is a nice area. Rural, walkable small town but within a few minutes drive of the Chickamauga Battlefield, less than 30 mins to Chattanooga and 10 mins from Fort Ogelthorpe, GA which is a nice midsize town with pretty much everything, but a mall. There is also an Alpaca Farm not too far from there. Hope this helps.

Unread 05-12-2013, 04:41 PM

549 posts, read 961,690 times
I would think the area around Dahlonega would be worth looking into . It is in north Georgia with plenty of mountainous rural land around yet in close proximity to Ga 400 .So access to medical areas is pretty easy . There is a hospital there plus another in Gainsville and Cumming ( both are doable drives IMO ).

Unread 05-12-2013, 11:09 PM

70 posts, read 43,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempete View Post
Hello -

I am considering a move from Colorado to somewhere in the midwest, south, or southeast in 2014. Georgia is one of the states I am researching. I will be working in Mental Health, and will be renting for at least a couple of years before I buy. I am looking for a small town feel, the best rural areas in Georgia to start researching. No children, but would like a decent quality of living. By "decent" I mean, clean neighborhood, low crime (don't we all want NO crime!?), and relatively quiet.

How is the "pet-friendly" housing situation in GA? I have a border collie and a cat, and would prefer to rent a house with a yard. I also aspire to owning alpaca in the next 2-3 years.

I also am passionate about American history so would love any information on access to historical towns, neighborhoods, resources.

Any resources you can point me to would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
I just graduated from Colorado School of Mines and may be relocating to Atlanta for work (I'm originally from Georgia.) Good to meet you.

I know of an alpaca farm in Dawsonville (about an hour north of downtown Atlanta.) I'd be happy to PM you the address if you wish to meet with the owners for any questions you may have regarding raising them.

I'm going to echo go falcon's sentiments and recommend Dahlonega as well. Are you familiar with the town of Golden in CO? Dahlonega is very analogous - they're both about the same size, located in the mountains, and college towns, but neither of their respective colleges have reputations as party schools. The downtown areas in both are highly walkable, and they even both got their start as gold mining towns.

Dahlonega and Auraria was the site of the first major gold rush in the U.S., and you can learn all about it at the Gold Museum on Dahlonega Square. Does the name Auraria sound familiar to you? That's right - the Denver Auraria campus is on the site of the original CO Territory settlement of Auraria, which was settled by Georgia pioneers from Dahlonega! They named their settlement after the gold rush town of Auraria, which is now a ghost town just down the road from Dahlonega.

Of course, the one caveat is that Dahlonega is a bit more isolated than Golden, and since it's a college town, the rental market may be tight. My advice is to find a place & move in during the summer, while the students are still at home & before they move back in August. Drug-related crimes (larceny, etc.) are actually quite common in certain rural "pockets" in Georgia, so I would stay away from any rental properties in run-down areas and/or adjacent to trailer parks. I hate to make generalizations like that, but I grew up in Dawsonville, which is just one county over from Dahlonega; it's a sad reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia