Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 01:34 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,652,931 times

Advertisements

List of colleges and universities in Georgia (U.S. state) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This may help. I checked the cites, they're green.

In all honesty, I'd recommend GSU. It's better academically, and pretty close to being an HBCU - 39% black student body in Atlanta. Most staff are black, and black culture drives the school. Plenty of official and unofficial dealings with the AUC. Also very easy to get into

Albany is a nice small town though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 01:37 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,817,231 times
Albany state is a really small school. If I were you,I would look around first before making a final decision.

Last edited by Columbuskidd92; 06-03-2013 at 01:47 PM..

Old 06-03-2013, 02:10 PM

164 posts, read 242,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Albany state is a really small school. If I were you,I would look around first before making a final decision.
hi

i dont think gsu has forensic science

Old 06-03-2013, 02:16 PM

how is savannah? i see ssu has forensic science

Old 06-03-2013, 11:47 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,067,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetahprints View Post
how is savannah? i see ssu has forensic science
SSU is the one HBCU I dont know much about, but Savannah is the best 2nd Tier City in Georgia to me. Packs more punch than it's size. It's a cool town, very historic, great downtown, close to the beach, etc. My cousin left his rural town for Savannah and is the current SGA President at Armstrong Atlantic (another University in Savannah) so he's loving it there.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
SSU is the one HBCU I dont know much about, but Savannah is the best 2nd Tier City in Georgia to me. Packs more punch than it's size. It's a cool town, very historic, great downtown, close to the beach, etc. My cousin left his rural town for Savannah and is the current SGA President at Armstrong Atlantic (another University in Savannah) so he's loving it there.
awesome@ bolded

i might go ahead and stick with albany. it's the negative comments about that discourages me lol

Old 06-04-2013, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,284 times
As an Alumni of Albany State University I would say go to Albany. I was born and raised in a huge city and I had the time of my life in Albany. It is what you make of it and it is like a family. As for the validity of the education or the degree, I have never had an issue with getting jobs a top corporations, nor has many of the people I know that attended. If you set yourself up for success then you will be successful.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:40 PM

183 posts, read 296,655 times
Quote:
thank you for this info.

i'm not expecting you to know everything about albany and richmond, but are the cheaper apartments in albany only located in the hood and are there any that's safer and sort of walking distance to asu? i would love to go to vcu and will still apply there, but i do have to think about cost of living and if i'll be able to afford it in the beginning. i also think that asu's in state tuition is awesome; it's like 5000 whereas vcu's in state is about 9000.

albany doesnt sound attractive as far as shopping/ things to do. but i didnt plan on staying in albany or richmond for long, just for schooling and then i'm leaving to another state after graduation.
There are two apartment complexes that I can think, very small though so not sure about any vacant spots that are in walking distance. One is basically on campus but I think it may be govt housing, not sure and another one a little further down the road that ASU is on but still in walking distance. In the complex that I mentioned, you should be ok in terms of crime, its not really the safest, but its not terrible, but you will definitely need to be mindful of your surroundings for sure. But honestly, why not just stay on campus, they have some excellent dorms on campus and it'll be much easier to get into the social life on campus. Some of the dorms have a full kitchen with a washer and dryer in the unit. Living off campus makes it a little bit harder, especially if you are coming in as a transfer student. I had a lot of fun living on campus personally and I wouldn't have traded that experience for anything at all. Plus, it's pretty safe on campus as well. Also, if you are not bringing a car, public transportation in Albany is pretty terrible. It will definitely be pretty difficult to get to class on time on the busses there and thats a promise. But if you are really trying to get an apartment and have a car, try and move on the west side of town, closer to the mall, you can get a 2 br probably in the $600 range. Its safe over there, and you'd be close to little shopping and restaurants that the town does actually have.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
There are two apartment complexes that I can think, very small though so not sure about any vacant spots that are in walking distance. One is basically on campus but I think it may be govt housing, not sure and another one a little further down the road that ASU is on but still in walking distance. In the complex that I mentioned, you should be ok in terms of crime, its not really the safest, but its not terrible, but you will definitely need to be mindful of your surroundings for sure. But honestly, why not just stay on campus, they have some excellent dorms on campus and it'll be much easier to get into the social life on campus. Some of the dorms have a full kitchen with a washer and dryer in the unit. Living off campus makes it a little bit harder, especially if you are coming in as a transfer student. I had a lot of fun living on campus personally and I wouldn't have traded that experience for anything at all. Plus, it's pretty safe on campus as well. Also, if you are not bringing a car, public transportation in Albany is pretty terrible. It will definitely be pretty difficult to get to class on time on the busses there and thats a promise. But if you are really trying to get an apartment and have a car, try and move on the west side of town, closer to the mall, you can get a 2 br probably in the $600 range. Its safe over there, and you'd be close to little shopping and restaurants that the town does actually have.
yeah, i was thinking about staying on campus my first yr being there until i'm situated and since i'll be new in the city. hopefully i can get a single dorm with a bathroom.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:22 PM

183 posts, read 296,655 times
Quote:
yeah, i was thinking about staying on campus my first yr being there until i'm situated and since i'll be new in the city. hopefully i can get a single dorm with a bathroom.
Yeah I would definitely do that. Since your coming in as a transfer, you'll be able to get into the dorms that offer a private br. You'll have to share a bathroom with one other person but thats not bad. Just stay on campus the first year, get established, build your social network which you'll do quickly, and also get comfortable with Albany, then move off campus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia