U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,769 times

Advertisements

<P>[quote=veganwriter;122174]Hi ... </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I'm yet one more urban dweller who'd LOVE to get OUT of these cities and move to five or ten acres of land. I don't care if there's nothing but a trailer on it... I just don't want to cope with the insanity anymore.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>So... I've been looking for cheap land and country living. </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I've been told that SW(?) Georgia is filled with a lot of small, family farms. I did a brief search and liked what I saw. There weren't very many homes for sale ... meaning no one was trying to move. That says a lot of good things about a place.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I'm black so naturally I'm looking for places where blacks comprise at least 14% of the population or more. Yes, I've heard about all the problems black farmers are having with the Dept. of Agriculture ... but I'm just looking to grow my own food ... maybe sell a bit of produce at a farmer's market or roadside stand. </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Oh ... and would you say the weather is like Atlanta's?</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>In short, I'm asking for some names of places outside of small towns ... some very remote and some within an hour of a larger city. (Midsize city is fine.)</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Thank you.[/quote</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>We found it! 4 acres and house under 100,000. my sister and I are looking forward to doing like you are. I've worked with the autistic population and would like to invove children in small scale vegetable farming we also plan on having a horse or two. your concerns were also ours. the statesboro area seems to be a good area. most folks have been helpful and friendly, and also clear that while some people have moved on, there are still others having difficulty with the new south. I'm from new york and it is not much different. folks here put on a different face-money and arrogance. contact me for info there is plenty of land in the area.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>en route</P>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 06:30 PM

726 posts, read 2,444,262 times
Congratulations and welcome to the area!

[quote=en route;2083853]<P>
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Hi ... </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I'm yet one more urban dweller who'd LOVE to get OUT of these cities and move to five or ten acres of land. I don't care if there's nothing but a trailer on it... I just don't want to cope with the insanity anymore.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>So... I've been looking for cheap land and country living. </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I've been told that SW(?) Georgia is filled with a lot of small, family farms. I did a brief search and liked what I saw. There weren't very many homes for sale ... meaning no one was trying to move. That says a lot of good things about a place.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I'm black so naturally I'm looking for places where blacks comprise at least 14% of the population or more. Yes, I've heard about all the problems black farmers are having with the Dept. of Agriculture ... but I'm just looking to grow my own food ... maybe sell a bit of produce at a farmer's market or roadside stand. </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Oh ... and would you say the weather is like Atlanta's?</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>In short, I'm asking for some names of places outside of small towns ... some very remote and some within an hour of a larger city. (Midsize city is fine.)</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Thank you.[/quote</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>We found it! 4 acres and house under 100,000. my sister and I are looking forward to doing like you are. I've worked with the autistic population and would like to invove children in small scale vegetable farming we also plan on having a horse or two. your concerns were also ours. the statesboro area seems to be a good area. most folks have been helpful and friendly, and also clear that while some people have moved on, there are still others having difficulty with the new south. I'm from new york and it is not much different. folks here put on a different face-money and arrogance. contact me for info there is plenty of land in the area.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>en route</P>

Old 11-26-2007, 09:11 AM

177 posts, read 684,574 times
Dear Veganwriter,

Have you seen the Farmers & Consumers Market Bulletin? It's a small newspaper that is published every two weeks by the Georgia Dept of Agriculture. Subscriptions are FREE. Call 404-656-3722. I believe it's also on-line. Maybe on-line you can find a toll free number. Several times a year they have a land issue.

We live south of Atlanta. This is a great area for growing. Blueberries, for example grow with vitually no care here (and fetch $15 a gallon, if organic -- but it's hard to find pickers, so keep that in mind). Also, apples can grow here as well. Peaches require more work and since this area is not far from a major commercial peach growing area, I'd only suggest a couple of trees for personal use. I could go on and on about the types of fruits of vegetables that grow south of Atlanta in the Piedmont area.

I thought I'd mention that I KNOW that there are still some Blacks that are farming in Pike and Lamar because I know some of them personally.

I suggest trying to find land in a county area near the line to a town. You must make sure of a good source of water, though.

Try searching around these counties: Pike, Lamar, Monroe. I do know that an organic farm -->Re<--located to Zebulon (Pike county) in the last couple of years. These folks truck their produce up to Atlanta for top prices. I think that land might be cheaper in Lamar than Pike, but am not certain of this. Though there are farmers markets in Pike and Lamar (and I suspect Monroe as well, but haven't seen a Monroe farmers market).
There is a list online called something like "georgiaorganics" that shows some of the farms.You might have to play around with the name to find the group.

You might even call county extension agents in these counties to talk and get ideas.

All the best in your search. We have found the folks in Larmar to be VERY helpful..

It's wonderful to see more people go back to farming, even if it's part time.

zebbie

Also

Old 11-26-2007, 10:31 AM

543 posts, read 1,074,070 times
I don't know too much about farming, but I know if you want cheap land you could look at counties with high poverty. High poverty counties usually have the cheapest land.

I'm from southeast Georgia and knowing the area a little I would recommend Evans County (that's where i'm from) and Jenkins County. These counties are truly remote areas,high poverty rates, very small populations, and they have substantial black populations. Jenkins county is close to Augusta and Evans County is close to Savannah.

I don't know too much about southwest Georgia but if you want to be within an hour of a mid-sized city try looking at Georgia counties near Tallahassee, Florida. I never really thought of Valdosta and Albany as mid-sized cities, more like big towns.

Good Luck.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,085 times
I just got 6.3ac on Ga. coast 1ml. from ocean 30ft. above sea level .This place only have one stop light and that is blinking.It was tree farm land I got them to cut out 3 ac. in the middle and a road all around the property and a road going into the middle of my land.Im a blk man and I will trust a redneck before I would a lot of my so called brothers.Ive lived in the ATL for 12 yrs.When you go some were new go hard !!! I had tac-pump shot gun,semi-auto 45,long bow,knifes ,axe and my blue great dane thats very protective,with me.They think Im crazy down there !! know one mess with a crazy man !!! cant wait to get my toys down there 1973 F-250 4X4,KINGQUAD 4X4, 28'CABIN CRUSIER, 16'RUN ABOUT, 10'PONTOON, 3 SEAT JET SKI, 3 BIKES , MID SIZE TRACTOR, I will live in my 38'rv untill I build my rv garauge with shop and loft apt.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,085 times
Thats a bunch of bull about over farmed land !!!All you have to do is slash and burn during the winter and fertilize come spring and your good to go!!! People always try to hold you back.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:28 AM

199 posts, read 399,034 times
congrats, sounds like you are going to do just fine down here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia