Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:37 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,781,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
LOVE that video!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,120,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yes, drivers in NYC are sooooo courteous, never speed, always use turn signals, don't text, blah blah blah ...

They are generally better drivers, and when you get out of the city, they are much better drivers. Bad drivers are everywhere, but unless you've lived and driven up there, you have no clue for comparison now do you?

The reaction from people who move here from the northeast is almost unanimous. We are amazed at the utter chaos that passes for driving in the south. You may not like to hear it, and you may take offense at people saying it, but that doesn't make it less true.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:33 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,342,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
This is a variation on "We didn't do it like that in New York" Its a sure way to make friends down South.
LMFAO... no, it's really not.

Drivers in the SE (GA, AL, FL) are the worst I've come across in the entire country. Yup, that's right, I've lived in every region, more than half the states in the country have been my "official" residence at some point in the past and NO ONE "does it" like local/natives do it here. California drivers are the closest, go west of the Mississippi and the disgust for bad driving stops being about SE drivers and shifts to CA drivers.. having been in both places though (and lived in GA for 6 years now), they aren't even close though.

As for making friends down here in the south... since not a one of us "imports" can answer the "Who's yer kin" first question out of everyone's mouth, it's the natives who are the roadblock for making friends. Friendship is only possible with other "imports"... what's odd is that this seems doubly true of any GA native who left the state for a few years (my wife, has family history to well before the south threw their hissy fit and started a war).

Lol... how bad does it have to be that my Atlanta-born wife is now wondering why she moved us back here and is considering Another move to get the heck away from the SE.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:06 AM

3,999 posts, read 4,118,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

Drivers in the SE (GA, AL, FL) are the worst I've come across in the entire country. Yup, that's right, I've lived in every region, more than half the states in the country have been my "official" residence at some point in the past and NO ONE "does it" like local/natives do it here. California drivers are the closest, go west of the Mississippi and the disgust for bad driving stops being about SE drivers and shifts to CA drivers.. having been in both places though (and lived in GA for 6 years now), they aren't even close though.

As for making friends down here in the south... since not a one of us "imports" can answer the "Who's yer kin" first question out of everyone's mouth, it's the natives who are the roadblock for making friends. Friendship is only possible with other "imports"... what's odd is that this seems doubly true of any GA native who left the state for a few years (my wife, has family history to well before the south threw their hissy fit and started a war).

Lol... how bad does it have to be that my Atlanta-born wife is now wondering why she moved us back here and is considering Another move to get the heck away from the SE.

I've got to disagree. Having worked and lived in 47 of our 50.. the worst driver's are in the NE. The problem drivers in the SE are folks who have moved. They continue to drive the exact way that they did when they were in their home area. Michigan and Alabama folks tend to drive in the left lane. New Mexico drivers were slower drivers than most. Texas drivers for the most part are very courteous. When your up in the North Georgia Mountains you can tell immediately who's from out-of-town.. just watch for the constant riding of brake lights... Oklahoma (where we are now)... well... they like to pull out in front of you. I can't wait to get back to Georgia and "normal." The thing is... once you figure out how folks drive in an area, you have to adjust your driving to their style.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:47 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,185,429 times
Quote:
So many choices, so little time.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:30 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,120,503 times
Quote:
I have to agree 100% and have posted similar sentiments in other threads. I travel for business all over the country, and I agree with your comments. When I get off the plane and get into a rental car in another part of the country, if I'm in a rush it will hit me when I get into traffic that I'm not in the south because there is less tailgating, more people using turn signals, people go around left turning vehicles, and not everyone is driving 20 mph over the limit on non-interstate roads.

Now some of you can dismiss this and call me a "damn Yankee" or whatever name makes you feel better about yourself, but that doesn't change the reality. Frankly, I've lived in Atlanta at total of 16 years between 10 years in the 1980s/1990s, and 6 years since 2007. While I do like the area for many things, this is one that I would gladly leave in a heartbeat, and since I have 3 children who now drive and who I want to remain alive and uninjured, getting southerners to change is what I'll try to do. The bad behavior is here in Atlanta, so it's folks here who need to make the change.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:45 PM

501 posts, read 797,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Agreed. Georgia drivers (and most southern drivers at that) are just dangerous! I'd much rather drive in New York.. and have. Actually, Canada has some of the best drivers I've ever experienced.
Some of us "southern drivers" have lived in other places and/or have common sense to the following:

- Not to drive at high speeds in inclement weather (i.e, snow, ice, rain) some of us have experienced all seasons and know how to handle it
- The driver in the aisle of a parking lot has the right of way vs. the driver coming out of the parking space
- Uses signals to indicate a lane change
- Stop for pedestrians in the walkway
- Be courteous and allow someone to switch lanes in front of them
and more...

At least I and those I know do but it burns my soul when I hear negative generalizations about people from the South from people that come from northern states. Some of you (not specifically) have a general distaste about southerners as if we are inferior to you but yet you are running down here because the walls are closing in (whether its financial or otherwise) as if everyone is being turned to salt and bring that hateful spirit with you here. Just wow.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
They are generally better drivers, and when you get out of the city, they are much better drivers. Bad drivers are everywhere, but unless you've lived and driven up there, you have no clue for comparison now do you?

The reaction from people who move here from the northeast is almost unanimous. We are amazed at the utter chaos that passes for driving in the south. You may not like to hear it, and you may take offense at people saying it, but that doesn't make it less true.
Uh-huh. And y'all are also smarter, fitter and your kids are better looking. LOL!

Considering that more than HALF of all Metro Atlanta residents are from somewhere else -- including nearly 1 million (13.6 percent!) born in another country -- your premise that "Southerners" as a group are bad drivers and "we" are amazed falls flat.

Just because YOU say something DOES NOT make it true!

Old 07-12-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:

LOL! You really expect us to believe that you've been an "official" resident of "more than half" of the 50 United States -- MORE THAN 25?! As a driving-age ADULT (because when you were 5 doesn't count)?! And that you resided LONG ENOUGH in each of those "more than 50 states" to become an absolute expert on the people, places, history etc of EACH OF THOSE STATES?! HILARIOUS!

You've obviosuly never STAYED anywhere long enough to "know the locals" or make friends. What, are you a carnie? Running from the law? In the witness protection program?!

AND FYI -- I see you live in Warm Springs. That's Meriwether County, right? A beautiful place but arguably one of the most economically depressed and backwards counties in all of Georgia. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?!

Give it a rest, dude. No wait! Why rest?! You've got "less than 25" more states to "officially" reside in before you die (and getting an extended stay room at the Motel 6 for a month doesn't count).

Old 07-13-2013, 12:13 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I've got to disagree. Having worked and lived in 47 of our 50.. the worst driver's are in the NE. The problem drivers in the SE are folks who have moved. They continue to drive the exact way that they did when they were in their home area. Michigan and Alabama folks tend to drive in the left lane. New Mexico drivers were slower drivers than most. Texas drivers for the most part are very courteous. When your up in the North Georgia Mountains you can tell immediately who's from out-of-town.. just watch for the constant riding of brake lights... Oklahoma (where we are now)... well... they like to pull out in front of you. I can't wait to get back to Georgia and "normal." The thing is... once you figure out how folks drive in an area, you have to adjust your driving to their style.
Quite interesting how you have specified certain states with their respective tendencies. Did you come to those conclusions at a few visits or over a period of time?
Personally, I've encountered people in Alabama who refused to get out of the left lane and were offended when I flashed my lights at them to move over. I have also encountered quite a few other drivers in Alabama that gladly moved over when they saw me coming from behind, just as an example. Do the majority of people not move over in Alabama compared to other states? I'm not really sure and can't factually say, but it does seem to me like the region in general (speaking broadly) needs a driving refresher course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
Some of us "southern drivers" have lived in other places and/or have common sense to the following:

- Not to drive at high speeds in inclement weather (i.e, snow, ice, rain) some of us have experienced all seasons and know how to handle it
- The driver in the aisle of a parking lot has the right of way vs. the driver coming out of the parking space
- Uses signals to indicate a lane change
- Stop for pedestrians in the walkway
- Be courteous and allow someone to switch lanes in front of them
and more...

At least I and those I know do but it burns my soul when I hear negative generalizations about people from the South from people that come from northern states. Some of you (not specifically) have a general distaste about southerners as if we are inferior to you but yet you are running down here because the walls are closing in (whether its financial or otherwise) as if everyone is being turned to salt and bring that hateful spirit with you here. Just wow.
Not sure if you are directing this comment towards me (assuming by quoting me you were) or not, but FYI, I am a life long southerner. Admittedly there are bad drivers everywhere, but the majority of them seem to be (IMO) in the south. Speaking broadly of course. There are also good drivers down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia