Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:28 PM

144 posts, read 270,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Agreed. Georgia drivers (and most southern drivers at that) are just dangerous! I'd much rather drive in New York.. and have. Actually, Canada has some of the best drivers I've ever experienced.
Which part of Canada? I've never driven in Canada, but I was on Interstate 79 recently in Pennsylvania and the drivers with Ontario plates were generally very bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 11:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
I'm still trying to figure out how somebody could have lived "in all 50 states" and still be young enough to possess a drivers license. Or use the internet for that matter.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:02 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Quite interesting how you have specified certain states with their respective tendencies. Did you come to those conclusions at a few visits or over a period of time?

For the past 35 years my husband and I have been traveling with his construction job. We can live anywhere from a few weeks to months in an area. I've been out here now for 10 months...although it's not unusual to live in 5 or more states in a year usually. It just kind of my observation. Drive 40,000 miles or so in a year between locations and making trips back and forth to Georgia and you get a good sense of how folks drive. Most major cities have their "quirks". I don't find the traffic in Atlanta to be that bad.. I will however inevitably always see a mattress when I'm on the perimeter. LOL. Drive I-75 from Lexington KY to Chattanooga and you'll see dozens of MI plates in the left lane. Alabama drivers don't give me problems on I-20... but 65 through northern AL, you can bet they'll be in the left lane. As soon as you hit the TX border and your on a two-lane, you need to learn to drive on their wide shoulders, because if someone comes up behind you, you need to move right if possible and let them pass you in the driving lane, if not your in for finger flipping and light flipping like you've never seen.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
Some of us "southern drivers" have lived in other places and/or have common sense to the following:

- Not to drive at high speeds in inclement weather (i.e, snow, ice, rain) some of us have experienced all seasons and know how to handle it
- The driver in the aisle of a parking lot has the right of way vs. the driver coming out of the parking space
- Uses signals to indicate a lane change
- Stop for pedestrians in the walkway
- Be courteous and allow someone to switch lanes in front of them
and more...

At least I and those I know do but it burns my soul when I hear negative generalizations about people from the South from people that come from northern states. Some of you (not specifically) have a general distaste about southerners as if we are inferior to you but yet you are running down here because the walls are closing in (whether its financial or otherwise) as if everyone is being turned to salt and bring that hateful spirit with you here. Just wow.
I too have driven in other places and noticed some bad drivers too. I'm not saying southern drivers are angels, in a with so many transplants and differing driving styles, how can you tell where a driver is originally from? But I noticed other areas with a majority transplant population such as northern Virginia, Maryland, and parts of North Carolina and Florida, the "natives" are always at fault.

Last edited by memberX; 07-13-2013 at 12:17 AM..

Old 07-13-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
For the past 35 years my husband and I have been traveling with his construction job. We can live anywhere from a few weeks to months in an area. I've been out here now for 10 months...although it's not unusual to live in 5 or more states in a year usually. It just kind of my observation. Drive 40,000 miles or so in a year between locations and making trips back and forth to Georgia and you get a good sense of how folks drive. Most major cities have their "quirks". I don't find the traffic in Atlanta to be that bad.. I will however inevitably always see a mattress when I'm on the perimeter. LOL. Drive I-75 from Lexington KY to Chattanooga and you'll see dozens of MI plates in the left lane. Alabama drivers don't give me problems on I-20... but 65 through northern AL, you can bet they'll be in the left lane. As soon as you hit the TX border and your on a two-lane, you need to learn to drive on their wide shoulders, because if someone comes up behind you, you need to move right if possible and let them pass you in the driving lane, if not your in for finger flipping and light flipping like you've never seen.
LOL..so true about I-65 in northern Alabama! Hwy 431 from Huntsville to Anniston has a lot of left lane hogs too. Other than that, it's pretty laid back. But I think they are pretty good about yielding to faster drivers south of Birmingham. I was on I-71 north of Louisville recently and the left lane hogs had Ohio and New York plates. I was also on I-79 in Pennsylvania and West Virginia and the Ohio drivers clogged the left lanes there too.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:33 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memberX View Post
Which part of Canada? I've never driven in Canada, but I was on Interstate 79 recently in Pennsylvania and the drivers with Ontario plates were generally very bad.
Ontario and Quebec.

Any drivers I've encountered on 79 in PA with Ontario plates seemed to go at exactly the speed limit and no higher. They also stayed in the right lane. (I guess they were adjusting to the kph/mph difference since that is still relatively close to their homeland)

It always depends on the driver of course.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:18 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Ontario and Quebec.

Any drivers I've encountered on 79 in PA with Ontario plates seemed to go at exactly the speed limit and no higher. They also stayed in the right lane. (I guess they were adjusting to the kph/mph difference since that is still relatively close to their homeland)

It always depends on the driver of course.
None of it bothers me much till you get two of em side-by-side with neither willing to speed up or slow down allowing the other to get out of the way! LOL

Old 07-13-2013, 03:58 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
- The driver in the aisle of a parking lot has the right of way vs. the driver coming out of the parking space
I agree, but I have been in multiple situations where I am 50%-75% backing out of a spot and someone feels like they should simply continue driving and not stop. It is just stupidity.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:09 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
None of it bothers me much till you get two of em side-by-side with neither willing to speed up or slow down allowing the other to get out of the way! LOL
That happened to me just the other day quite a few times driving south on 85 around LaGrange, GA. To my surprise, it was a car from Fulton county.

On the other side of Atlanta on 85 going north after spaghetti junction and before 985, I ALWAYS notice those Hall county tags hogging the left. Yes, I know 985 splits off to the left, but there is absolutely NO reason to hog the lane for 10-20 miles going 55-60 when there are cars behind you going 70-75 trying to pass. ....My rant for the day.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:51 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Uh-huh. And y'all are also smarter, fitter and your kids are better looking. LOL!
Did I say that? How about addressing the substance of my comments, rather than the normal southern passive aggressive bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Just because YOU say something DOES NOT make it true!
Considering I'm agreeing with the OP who made the point, your comments is ridiculous. Even if that wasn't the case, the point has been made in other topics by other posters, and I have heard the same from relatives and business colleagues who visit here.

Again...you can dismiss my comments and call me whatever you want. The facts don't change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia