U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 04:14 PM

42 posts, read 108,152 times

Advertisements

Recently had to take a job at the hospital in Winder due to being laid off for almost 6 months. I'm a 31 year old white single professional. I'm looking for a place to live that would make my commute at the max 45 minutes. How about Athens? Is there a lot to do there and are there a lot of people in my demographic? I love downtown Decatur and the Virginia Highlands. Although, I know it would be way to far of a drive. I'm thinking about somewhere in Gwinnett County that wouldn't make my commute bad and I would have easy access to Atlanta. If anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,962,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbl26 View Post
Recently had to take a job at the hospital in Winder due to being laid off for almost 6 months. I'm a 31 year old white single professional. I'm looking for a place to live that would make my commute at the max 45 minutes. How about Athens? Is there a lot to do there and are there a lot of people in my demographic? I love downtown Decatur and the Virginia Highlands. Although, I know it would be way to far of a drive. I'm thinking about somewhere in Gwinnett County that wouldn't make my commute bad and I would have easy access to Atlanta. If anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!!!
Athens to Winder is an easy commute, only about 20 miles and under 30 minutes especially if you're living on the west side of Athens. You probably wouldn't want to live right downtown and mixed up with the college kids anyway. But at 31 you're still young enough to go out and enjoy the awesome Athens nightlife! It's an unbelievably magical town!

I think it's a win-win!

http://www.uga.edu/gm/901/FeatTownBody.html

Old 07-14-2013, 09:48 PM

4,474 posts, read 7,291,221 times
Agreed. Especially if you don't think you'll be in Atlanta any more than a few times a month. Athens is the way to go. A straight shot down 316 and you are in Winder in 20-30 minutes.

Athens to Gwinnett is more like 30-40 minutes depending on traffic and once you're in Gwinnett, it's another 25-35 to downtown, midtown and Buckhead.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:33 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,084,839 times
You did not reveal a whole lot about yourself but I tend to doubt your age range will not enjoy Athens that much. It caters to the young 20 somethings and the nightlife downtown is especially for them. Lots of drinking and carousing and some crime that results from drunk students. If you like Decatur, then take a close look at it. You would be going in the opposite direction from the inbound Atlanta traffic. Plus, if you find a better job situation in Atlanta, then you are already closer in. The Winder job doesn't sound like something you are committed to but just guessing. You might want to consider the Buford area as well. Athens is touted as a party town for UGA students and it is but it is also rated quite high as a retiree destination. You fit neither of those categories. Hope you find something you like either way.

I live in Athens. I am retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia