Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:29 AM

14 posts, read 71,248 times

Advertisements

I would like some info / opinons on the pros and cons of living in or around Valdosta, Georgia.

We are also would like to know if there many mixed race families in this area.
My husband is hispanic. I am Caucasian.
My oldest is African American & Caucasian
Our two youngest are Hispanic & Caucasian

Thanks in advance

Last edited by AlecAinsleyLevi; 07-14-2013 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 02:57 PM

6 posts, read 50,779 times
I have lived in Valdosta my entire life. There are two groups of people here: Moody Air Force Base employees and their families and then there are the "natives". The Moody AFB people mostly live in North Lowndes (Hahira, Bemiss Road area of Valdosta). They are a very diverse group and mingle within themselves. There are a lot of biracial families from MAFB. "Native" Valdosta is a lot different. It is a very segregated community and biracial people have a hard time fitting in if they choose not to identify with the black community because whites will never accept a biracial (white & black) kid as white so if your child identifies their self as more white they will have a hard time adjusting. Most hispanic/white biracial people are fine because white people don't mind accepting them. I have never met a Hispanic person here that has a professional job (business/teacher/nurse). The majority of Hispanics here are field workers on farms and there are virtually no Hispanic kids in the local high schools. They usually drop out in 7th or 8th grade and start working on the fields. Valdosta is a big agricultural area. If I had a biracial/interracial family, Valdosta would be my last choice. I have seen a lot of my biracial friends have major issues here with fitting in and its sad. The suburbs of Atlanta will be your best bet.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 17,434 times
I want to know how natives welcome foreigners from sub-sahara(africa). We are considering to call
valdosta - hahira our final home and we are in our late 50's. We are planning to buy a property with some acres in the country side of hahira. Could any of the natives or the transplants that have lived in the area give any advise.

Please, advise.

George.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:52 AM

6 posts, read 50,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abihka View Post
I want to know how natives welcome foreigners from sub-sahara(africa). We are considering to call
valdosta - hahira our final home and we are in our late 50's. We are planning to buy a property with some acres in the country side of hahira. Could any of the natives or the transplants that have lived in the area give any advise.

Please, advise.

George.
Valdosta is a city of choice for retirees of all cultures and nationalities. Great weather, right on the interstate for those with travel in mind and close to vacation destinations like Saint Simon's Island, Savannah, Tybee & Florida.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:45 PM

10 posts, read 26,996 times
I'd like to add that the city has a pretty sizable student population in the Baytree/Mall area all the way to Ashley Street.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:00 AM

60 posts, read 142,070 times
Valdosta, as long as you're near the university, is pretty accepting of minorities. Everywhere else is whitebread central and they're rather homogeneous.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:23 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,337,825 times
I lived in Valdosta for 3 years with my ex. I am a gay man and I never had one bit of problems. With the University comes a lot of young liberal students, and believe it or not with Moody Air Force Base came of few in the closet gay/bi friends of mine. The last time I checked Valdosta had 49.8 percent white and 49 percent black population. so it's not like if you are non white you will stick out like a sore thumb and be attacked or something. Okay so it's not Atlanta but it is light years ahead of other smaller towns in the state.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:18 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
It's hotter than hades in the summer.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:55 PM

137 posts, read 242,270 times
Valdosta eh? As others have mentioned- race is of huge importance living there and most other Sowega towns. Those involved into 'ghetto life' actually do not bother those who haven't a clue as to what it is. However, you still have to deal with the nuances that come with that lifestyle. I mean other than the outskirts, the college, and some of the base denizens, Valdosta is honestly 3 quarters po' suthin' country brothiz. Regardless of what the pop. figures say, the native residents compute to roughly 3/4.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:57 PM

137 posts, read 242,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
I lived in Valdosta for 3 years with my ex. I am a gay man and I never had one bit of problems. With the University comes a lot of young liberal students, and believe it or not with Moody Air Force Base came of few in the closet gay/bi friends of mine. The last time I checked Valdosta had 49.8 percent white and 49 percent black population. so it's not like if you are non white you will stick out like a sore thumb and be attacked or something. Okay so it's not Atlanta but it is light years ahead of other smaller towns in the state.
It says it is 50/50 but to live in Valdosta proper it is much more lopsided than that. I bet you felt quite lost and bored at times with being gay huh? I suppose it depends on which type you were though, hmm. So, have you ever been to the bars near riverside in Jax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia