U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,156 times

Advertisements

Why are people moving to GA from FL?
Here are some reasons>
(1) The real estate values are shooting through the roof. Insurance premiums are almost as high if not higher as mortgages each month. The worse areas are South and Central FL.
I wouldn't worry too much about real estate shooting through the roof in GA. While GA is growing faster than FL now (yes, check the last census 2000), I don't think they will shoot up to FL levels. Reasons- Florida is a real-estate mecca for Millionare and Billionare investors. They come in from California, New York, or Internationally and build multi-million dollar mansions and condos. Drive the poor people and middle class people out by raising the property values and property taxes to unaffordable levels.
Then when they get destroyed by hurricanes shoots the insurance premiums up as well. While I as well as many other Floridians love the state, we the Middle Class and lower middle class can no longer afford to live here. They multi-million dollar condos are going up everywhere. Even in Jacksonville this is beginning to happen.
Where as in Georgia, the real estate is bought more by people living in Georgia, working in Georgia, and earning more money than workers in Florida. I don't think you have all the rich Donald Trumps investing on every corner of the state. No offense, but there aren't any tropical beaches in Georgia. Which in this case is not a bad thing.
(2) Another reason why Floridians are moving to Georgia is that the job market is full of low paying jobs while the cost of living is shooting through the roof. Kind of like a third world country.
(3) Many retirees are feeling too crowded and are not just moving to GA, but also TN, NC, KY, WV, even PA.
(4) I have lived in Florida for a long time, and I wouldn't mind moving to GA myself. I really like north GA, change of seasons, mountains, and Atlanta is a very cosmopolitan city.

However, it seems that Atlanta has recently suffered some job losses (Delta, Coke, Ford, GM). Atlanta has always been the KING OF THE SOUTH for jobs and entertainment. I was recently reading a story about how downtown Atlanta has loss many jobs and has a very high vacancy rate. Is this from urban flight to the suburbs or is it slowing down??? I know cities like Charlotte, Nashville, and Dallas seem to be competing with Atlanta for jobs.
How is the job market doing in Metro Atlanta????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 12:56 PM

89 posts, read 92,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBottom305 View Post
Okay, so heres the deal?!
Why is everyone in GA making a big deal about the people from FL moving there? If anything, people from urban FL are bringing some excitement and life to the country of GA. U fellow Georgians should not feel any sort excitement about us moving there. Clearly, we are just using they cheap life style of GA for an excuse. Believe me......the majority of us prefer to live in FL; however, i prefer living in a nice house in GA than the streets in FL. Atleast, we are ballers, GO HEAT! I did not see you guys in the play-offs !
We are just bringing exotic diversity to see you country' folks. much love!!!
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... This post has to be fake and everyones making a big deal out of it because it is a big deal.We dont want your ethnic diversity in the country and couldnt give two craps about B-BALL..ITS SUCKS. Leave your urban ways behind you when yall come here. Dont complain about the dirt of the roads getting on your fancy cars they were dirt BEFORE yall came here. If you prefer to live in Florida then make the struggle and stay there, or come here and leave the flags and try to blend in. Ethnic diversity..please man you have no clue.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,937 times
I live in GA and love it here. I have found that people are nice, traffic is not bad at all where I live, crime is very low, cost of living is excellent, housing is very affordable, it is a melting pot with very diverse ethnic mix. I have not run in to any true prejudice, other than locals talking about how things "used to be". I live in Hall County, it is about a 45 minute drive to the beautiful North GA mountains with endless hiking and outdoor activites, minutes from Lake Lanier for boating, etc, and less than an hour to Atlanta to the big city attractions. I think the people who are complaining are reffering to the overpopulated areas closer to the city. Somebody could live up where I am and easily commute to Atlanta if necessary. There is traffic if you commute, but it isn't terrible unless there is an accident, and then there are alternate routes. There is also a lot of culture here, especially if you visit the small towns. Good food. Good southern hospitality.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 8,725 times
The people that are leaving FLA aren't the problem, it's the ones that are there. FLA is an awful place to live. We lived there for years, 15 (because we had to care for my mother till sadly she passed away) We worked at our own business and had a home there. We moved to GA as soon as we could. We feel we have come back to America and we love it here. We can travel by car without spending 5 to 6 hours just to get out of the state, like we had to in FLA. We can go see so many great places now. We lived out west so we want to explore the north east.
The people here are real and we are comfortable with them and them with us. I feel sorry for anyone living in south FLA sooner or later they will hate it. Too crowded and nasty in every way. Plastic people and cities.
Atlanta may suck but there are plenty of nice small towns in GA that are really charming. If you are lucky enough to be retired you can go live in a wonderful town like Royston or Greensboro. Check it out.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:26 PM

47 posts, read 589,978 times
Default Many good points here...

A lot of you have given many good reason to move out of FL & why you like/choose Georgia. I haven't heard anyone griping about their utility bills, though. FPL, which seems to have quite the monopoly, has gotten beyond ridiculous with their electricity wattage charges, hurricane fees, fuel surcharges, cost recovery charges, this charge, that charge, his charge, her charge, etc...... our bill when we bought our small 950 sq. ft. home in Palm Beach County almost 7 years ago used to be an average of $80 in the winter and $120 in the summer. Ok, we could deal with that, right! Well, in rolls Hurricane Frances, Jeanne, Wilma, and over the past few years our bill has skyrocketed to about $175 in the winter and $280 in the summer!!!! And no, we didn't "add on" to the house or change anything (my husband is an electrician and is also stumped)...... and that is just ONE utility that has skyrocketed since the storms / ridiculous increase in cost of living in this godforsaken area! We've decided that since we love N. Ga. so much and we have family there (natives) that it is likely the place we will relocate to. Plus, it looks like GA has quite a few ATV trails, parks, which FL has practically none that are legal unless you want to drive to River Ranch or Ocala (3+ hours). That alone sold my husband on N. GA! Anyway, someone mentioned that it has become unaffordable for the average middle class working family to live here and that is 110% true. Not to mention the place has become over run by immigrants/illegals, violent crimes, drugs, gangs, etc..... and no longer is appealing to anyone who has any kind of class. It really irks my husband, who was born & raised here in Palm Beach County back in the 70's, that it has come to this... that he is basically forced out of his hometown. A lot of it should be blamed on the county commissioners, the county development board, and the authorities who handle immigration control (homeland security maybe, whatever they're called).... they let it all get completely out of hand and now the only ones who want to live here are trash.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:18 AM

88 posts, read 456,891 times
Thumbs up Ocala you are absolutely right!

The issue is related to why some people are moving. I don't care what th others say as a mean to defend themselves maybe, but the ISSUE is that in NORTH AMERICA, English is the official language!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. In other countries that I have visited, their official language in spoken. Is the US constitution written in Spanish or German? I don't think so.

To be fair, let's just say that Florida is a melting pot, but you don't see the Europeans, the Haitians, the Jaimaicans, the Asians gretting you in their home language at their workplace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have nothing against the native hispanics that have made South Florida their home, however, I have to say that they are the laziest people when it comes to make an effort to LEARN English. Coming from another background (not hispanic and not american) I speak 4 languages fluently. But when I go to a country, I respect their culture, I don't force my culture onto them.....and YES, I speak spanish fluently. My parents live in South florida and when I go visit and go out to shop I don't respond to the greetings in Spanish. It is as if your face is written "I speak spanish"!!!!, or is it the famous..."you look hispanic" as a trial to make no effort. Malls is South Florida receive many tourists throughout the year, imagine for one second a european's confusion when trying to purchase something and asking a question.....The salesperson, obviously hispanic spanish rumbled something like....no habla espanol? I saw that and was horrified!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
It seems that the issue IS related to why some are moving. It is part of the reason we will be mving back to N. GA.

It is fine, that the Aisans converse in native tongue, but they also speak english to you when you do business with them. I too used to have my nails done in Buford, by a friend of mine in a shop like that... I ran a constuction crew of hispanics, all of them spoke enough english that we could communicate and I speak enough spanish to get by with them as well, BUT,
My issue is not with that, it is with Public Schools. If they can not communicate, they need to learn english or hire a translator. I find it sad and frustrating... Again, not an issue I was ever met with in my childrens' GA school district.

Now that I think about it, I had to have my kids shot records put on the State Forms after we moved, while I was in the County Healt Dept, it was the exact same thing... nearly all of the parents and their children could not speak english at all and they where there for free shots and other free health services. It is sad that our tax money is paying for something that their own country should be paying for.

Again, We are moving back to N. GA., in part, because we did not have this issue there.

Last edited by xxman777; 01-12-2007 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: Fix quote

Old 01-12-2007, 06:50 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,355,231 times
Quote:
A lot of you have given many good reason to move out of FL & why you like/choose Georgia.
This is a good question. I suspect the answers are so simple that you folks are overlooking it. So here are the reasons why I think we choose GA (and North Carolina) more than other places:

1. Proximity - Georgia is the closest state to Florida (other than a small part of Alabama) than any other state. Most people don't want to be too far away from our roots, family, etc.

2. Familiar - Just about anytime we Floridians travel out of state by car, we go through Georgia. So, we know some of the prettier places in Georgia, been there, had fun their with our families and as kids, so we think we want to live there.

3. Many of us already have relatives and friends in Georgia - so it's not like moving to Idaho which seems as foreign to us as Ireland or South Africa. In fact, you probably didn't notice the first wave of Floridians moving to parts of Georgia in the 1980's, because they all spoke with a similar southern accent and were mostly Southern Baptist. Now you get all kinds of people moving up there, so they stick out more.

4. Parts of Georgia remind some of us of the small towns we grew up in in Florida. Some people are just looking for the what was taken away from them by Florida's growth.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
This is a good question. I suspect the answers are so simple that you folks are overlooking it. So here are the reasons why I think we choose GA (and North Carolina) more than other places:

1. Proximity - Georgia is the closest state to Florida (other than a small part of Alabama) than any other state. Most people don't want to be too far away from our roots, family, etc.

2. Familiar - Just about anytime we Floridians travel out of state by car, we go through Georgia. So, we know some of the prettier places in Georgia, been there, had fun their with our families and as kids, so we think we want to live there.

3. Many of us already have relatives and friends in Georgia - so it's not like moving to Idaho which seems as foreign to us as Ireland or South Africa. In fact, you probably didn't notice the first wave of Floridians moving to parts of Georgia in the 1980's, because they all spoke with a similar southern accent and were mostly Southern Baptist. Now you get all kinds of people moving up there, so they stick out more.

4. Parts of Georgia remind some of us of the small towns we grew up in in Florida. Some people are just looking for the what was taken away from them by Florida's growth.

Hey Prichard you seem like alright Floridian and I think you can understand why us locals are kindoff getting sick of all the Floridians coming up to our small towns and changing them. I mean I understand why so many of you are leaving that place "I mean If I had a sister stuck in a wh**e house and a brother stuck in Florida I would rescue my brother first"...but yall are leaving those small towns that had to much growth and doing the same to our towns. The best thing a Floridian can do when moving to North Georgia is..leave the flags behind..forget Floridas ways cause your in Georgia now and no one cares about Florida here..blend in and respect the locals and natives and youll be fine. Remember yall moved here to get away from that crap dont bring it here. Hey Prichard I seen a nice 10 pointer this morning probally about 200 pounds plus a big deer for Georgia.Im gonna keep my eyes on that one.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:04 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,355,231 times
I agree 100% with your advice, Johnny. I've long felt like one of the last hold-outs in Central Florida. In fact, there are so few of us who were born (pre- 1965) and raised here that we all know each other or at least know of each other by last name. It's a rare occassion that I will run across someone born and raised here that I don't know or never heard of. My dad was born and raised in the panhandle. I know just how Johnny feels, having watched most of my close friends that I grew up with move away, and then first northerners moving in, then hispanics, now Jamacians and Haitians. It's just not even close to the same place that I grew up in, but yet I still can't bring myself to move away for good. Someday, I probably will. That's why I got a little cabin on some acerage in North Georgia - I know that some day I won't be able to afford a place in the Georgia Mountains anymore. And that day will be the same day that I decide to move for good. I figured to myself "buy when you can... or learn to speak spanish."

I joke around about flags and plastic palm trees. Fact is I hate palm trees! Seems like every northerner who moved down here or person from Miami that moves up here wants to put palm trees all over their yard. Cities plant palm trees in medians because they are cheap. Developers plant palm trees all over their cookie-cutter house farms, because they are cheap. And the only Flag I've ever flown in front of my house is the American Flag (wife won't let me have a confederate flag Could always find an old Georgia Flag, before they changed it if I ever move up there for good ).

Kind of late in the season, but good luck with that 10-pointer, Johnny - from what I gather that's about as big as they get in the hills.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:22 PM

Good post Prichard and I dont plan on shooting that deer unless it starts messing with my garden area and then hes toast. But if you plan on buying a little cabin up here you better act fast unless your loaded.The prices up here are soaring and probally not as high as in Florida but us locals dont get paid very well. Most locals children unless they already have land will have to move we just cant compete with the money Floridians are bringing up here. So thats kindoff were the locals are getting mad at all the Floridians coming up here. I cant blame people from Florida wanting to leave..it sounds like its turning into little cuba. I still fly the real Georgia flag and a confederate flag on my truck.We never even got to vote on the Georgia flag it was a fly by night thing. Its funny Florida gets the worst of the northerners moving there.My buddy in western New York always said they had to dump their crap down somewhere and Florida seems like a good place to do it. Most true working class type Floridians are allright if they can just leave Florida behind them when they come here...but the half-backs are the worst. Talk to ya later man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or