U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 6,672 times

Advertisements

I too was wondering why all the Florida people were invading Georgia. I live in a brand new subdivision in Kennesaw and alot of my neighbors are from Florida. It seems that in the immediate Atlanta metro area, there are not alot of people that are originally from Georgia. It also seems as if we have alot of people moving down from Ohio too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 07:20 PM

540 posts, read 1,122,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move View Post
what is is going on in Florida you ask? It has become a state where the middle class are being forced out of their homes. Insurance rates have doubled since last summer with the hurricanes. Example, our homeowner's insurance last year was 2400. This year our premiums are going anywhere from 4400-4800. Housing is overvalued and overpriced and property taxes are out of control. We have something called "Save Our Homes" This allows a max of a 3% increase on your asessed value of your current property. We have been in our home since 1992. We pay approx 3400 a year on our property tax. Now if I sold my house today (which I am trying to do) at 450,000, the new owners would pay close to 10,0000.00 in taxes. NOT A TYPO. What Save our homes does not allow you to do, is to move to another home or different county within FLA because thate 3% cap does not follow you. So basically, you are a prisoner in your own home, unless you move out of state, so hence the exodus to GA. In addition, Florida, especially South Florida, has changed in the last years, english has become the second language, and people have become rude and angry. The only thing right now that FLA has going for it is no state income tax. I never thought I would leave FLA, been here since 1980, but there comes a point where quality of life outweighs everything else, and the mountains are looking better and better everyday!
I have been here since 1964! I have seen this place(Fort Myers) go from rural to overpopulated, especially in the past few years. The building will not stop, the roads can not accomodate any more people, yet still they build.We are starting to see flooding during rainy season due to the cement.I agree with you, the mountains are looking better all the time, just do not know which mountains! We are being taxed and insured right out of the state! I say, let the illigals have it, or let it fall into the ocean, either way, it is doomed.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:47 AM

89 posts, read 92,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabefree View Post
I too was wondering why all the Florida people were invading Georgia. I live in a brand new subdivision in Kennesaw and alot of my neighbors are from Florida. It seems that in the immediate Atlanta metro area, there are not alot of people that are originally from Georgia. It also seems as if we have alot of people moving down from Ohio too.
Yep Florida and Ohio seem to be the two that are coming to Georgia in groves but most of them cant leave Florida or Ohio behind them...

Old 01-15-2007, 07:03 AM

2,819 posts, read 9,361,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanative2 View Post
I have been here since 1964! I have seen this place(Fort Myers) go from rural to overpopulated, especially in the past few years. The building will not stop, the roads can not accomodate any more people, yet still they build.We are starting to see flooding during rainy season due to the cement.I agree with you, the mountains are looking better all the time, just do not know which mountains! We are being taxed and insured right out of the state! I say, let the illigals have it, or let it fall into the ocean, either way, it is doomed.
Ok,
Now all we need to do is change (Fort Myers) to the Atlanta suburbs and the rest will match 100%, just an FYI for any and all Floridian natives looking for smaller Utopia's

Old 01-15-2007, 08:33 AM

89 posts, read 92,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Ok,
Now all we need to do is change (Fort Myers) to the Atlanta suburbs and the rest will match 100%, just an FYI for any and all Floridian natives looking for smaller Utopia's
There leaving Florida but changing this area to become just like Florida. There are really no mountains left anymore they have all been raped by develepors. There are no views up here just views of other Cabins. North Georgia is not place to go to get away from growth...most working class locals are not very happy about it. Because of all the wealthy Floridians coming up here we cant afford the taxes anymore it really sucks but I guess thats life and I have to accept it.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:22 PM
nps

10 posts, read 31,747 times
The ones that's leaving Florida are the ones who have been in Florida for a long time. The atmosphere has changed because of the influx from the people up north such as New York - who hated snow, and the Latin people coming from Cuba and South America. But this is true down south of Florida (specifically - Miami/Dade County) where it is so disgusting right now!

However, there are still places in Florida that is nice. Fort Lauderdale is still an okay place to live. We live in 1/2 acre secluded place and have the place to ourselves, on the canal with ocean access, and still be close to amenities -such as shopping center, good hospitals and restaurants. Right now, real estate is at its lowest and the best time to buy and not be hit with huge property tax. But I agree property insurance is kind of high for some people especially those who live along the coasts/shoreline -not the section to buy properties. But we are lucky we have a house that has never been destroyed by hurricanes. It has been here since 1953, so far it is still standing strong- better than the newly built houses in Florida.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 8,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralyssa View Post
A lot of you have given many good reason to move out of FL & why you like/choose Georgia. I haven't heard anyone griping about their utility bills, though. FPL, which seems to have quite the monopoly, has gotten beyond ridiculous with their electricity wattage charges, hurricane fees, fuel surcharges, cost recovery charges, this charge, that charge, his charge, her charge, etc...... our bill when we bought our small 950 sq. ft. home in Palm Beach County almost 7 years ago used to be an average of $80 in the winter and $120 in the summer. Ok, we could deal with that, right! Well, in rolls Hurricane Frances, Jeanne, Wilma, and over the past few years our bill has skyrocketed to about $175 in the winter and $280 in the summer!!!! And no, we didn't "add on" to the house or change anything (my husband is an electrician and is also stumped)...... and that is just ONE utility that has skyrocketed since the storms / ridiculous increase in cost of living in this godforsaken area! We've decided that since we love N. Ga. so much and we have family there (natives) that it is likely the place we will relocate to. Plus, it looks like GA has quite a few ATV trails, parks, which FL has practically none that are legal unless you want to drive to River Ranch or Ocala (3+ hours). That alone sold my husband on N. GA! Anyway, someone mentioned that it has become unaffordable for the average middle class working family to live here and that is 110% true. Not to mention the place has become over run by immigrants/illegals, violent crimes, drugs, gangs, etc..... and no longer is appealing to anyone who has any kind of class. It really irks my husband, who was born & raised here in Palm Beach County back in the 70's, that it has come to this... that he is basically forced out of his hometown. A lot of it should be blamed on the county commissioners, the county development board, and the authorities who handle immigration control (homeland security maybe, whatever they're called).... they let it all get completely out of hand and now the only ones who want to live here are trash.
saralyssa, enjoyed your post. I can relate to everything you mentioned, it is all very true, sadly.
I moved to Fla in the late '60s and caught the end of the glamor of South Beach. It was really exciting then. I worked in the hotel industry and was exposed to the end of the 'Vegas like' excitement . Miami was so different then too. It had a wonderful Latin feel without being overpowering. At least I have the memories!
The problem in Fla is mostly the same as all popular states/areas, over population. They speak of diversity but from my view the majority of the people in south Fla are Latin. The majority rules which can't help but make the minority feel resentful. Add to that the other points you made and moving becomes the only option.
Anyway I hope that you and your family are able to move soon and find peace and happiness elsewhere. Life is short don't let the stress make it shorter! Good luck!

Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,555 times
Default Moved to Ga a year ago

We moved to Ga a year ago from South Florida. Our property taxes had gone up from $3000 to $10,000 a year. Insurance jumped to $4500 from $2500. We were hit 3 times in a year and a half with the eye of the hurricane. We had to replace landscaping and roof tiles in a new home. Our business that what doing very well slowed down virtually to nothing because everyone was spending money fixing their homes from the damage. We moved just north of Atlanta to Canton in the suburbs. It is on the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains. We purchased a beautiful home on 1/2 acres, which we could never do in florida for just under $200,000. We love it here but finding employment was very difficult and the pay scale plus Ga income tax has basically made everything equal.

The difference is that it is much prettier here and we love our home.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:06 PM

13 posts, read 56,474 times
I am looking for a reliable real estate agent. Could someone please PM me with a contact, we will be in the Kennesaw / Woodstock area this weekend and really need an agent to show us some homes. Thanks in advance

Old 04-04-2007, 01:10 PM

75 posts, read 347,609 times
Default hey

Georgia is the first state to aggressive prosecute and remove illegal aliens. We passed a law last year to that effect. Homeowners in florida are being overwhelmed with insurance premium increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or