U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,731 times

Advertisements

InGA,
Everyone leaving Florida are trying to get away from the high insurance costs and the tax mess here. Iam in central florida, love it but my homeowners insurance went from an already to high 1800.00yr to 2818.00yr. and now the new gov. wants to do away with our homestead protection and make everyone in the counties pay equal for our property taxes. I don't live in a 600,000$ home and should not even have to worry that I may be taxed as if I do. That is why we are all trying to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,656 times
As a 31 year old married mother of 2 young boys, I am overwhelmed by all the comments posted on why all the Floridians are leaving this state. My husband and I have tossed around the idea of moving to Georgia for about a year now. The words have been taken right out of my mouth! I have family near Atlanta so we have done quite a bit of visiting. Camping at Red Top Mountain is amazing! I'm a natiive floridian and I never entertained the thought of leaving up until about 2 years ago. We totally missed the boat on becoming homeowners, real estate has skyrocketed to a point of no return. We really don't know who's buying real estate at these prices, and we see our friends who have purchased homes being overcome with the financial burden of maintaining property taxes and insurance fees. NO THANKS! Our combined income is around 75,000 a year, and good luck making it on that! We can't touch a house for less than $200,000 and that's barely getting you a 3 bedroom home. Taxes and Insurance??? Yea Right! We won't even go there! Our electric bill on a SMALL 3 bedroom duplex runs $280.00 in the summer.(for those of you who don't know - that's about 6 months out of the year). NO THANKS! And what do you get in return?? Miserable summers, skin cancer from the relentless beating of the sun, and green to dead (if you're lucky enough to get rain) for a season change! We are hoping there is more to life in northern Georgia than over-populated water parks and Disney. We want Nature your kids won't get heat stroke enjoying, Spring & Fall, clean rivers, fresh lakes and a front porch. I know you can't help feeling like "the grass is always greener on the other side", but in this case I really hope it is! Georgia residents: we hope you don't think we're over-running your beautiful state, we just want a little piece of what you have!

Old 07-05-2007, 04:09 AM

87 posts, read 281,893 times
Since Katrina hit, housing costs really skyrocketed here in GA. I'm close to Statesboro. Prices here for housing & taxes are pretty reasonable, but if you're looking for a job, you really need a degree. There's plenty of places to shop and play, and like everywhere else, the illegal immigrants are moving in, but it hasn't gotten as bad as N. GA. Traffic down here is still low unless there's a football game or graduation at GSU!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:05 PM

15 posts, read 39,963 times
What I don't get is everyone in Georgia and Atlanta saying the traffic is bad and they have to commute, etc...our traffic is just as bad here, plus we have to deal with tourist season every year whick makes it way worse. Also the very first poster said if all of us people came up there would it make things worse on them in Georgia, well my answer to that is,who brings the crimes and traffic to Florida, tourists. So there is no win win situation anywhere.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:25 PM

10 posts, read 45,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
If you don't mind the strip-mall, Developers own the state, corporate chain-store, suburbanite, bible-thumping, mentality/lifestyle then ok I see why you want to stay in the South if your leaving FLA. But GA is about as close as you can get to being FLA, outside of FLA.
Why not look into SC, AL, TN, or even TX? Just my personal opinion, but from what I've seen of these states, if you hate what Florida has become but want to stay in the South, these states will be much better alternatives to FLA than GA...GA is Florida lite, same w/NC...
Hubby and I are in So.FL. and plan to sell after January and move to Ga. Sons live in Tx. and want us there............We can't afford the taxes on a home there. They are very high..........like Fl. Sun City, a Del Web Community in Georgetown, Tx. offers housing for us with taxes the same as what we pay here. I don't like Mexican food all that much! We are also not ready for a retirement community.........personally don't care for that sort of living.
Ga. looks great to us! Tired of Florida..........need a change. We visited Dahlonega a few years ago. Loved it there. We are considering moving near Alpharetta, but I will not disclose our location.........we don't want the rest of the Floridians to follow us........tsk tsk...LOL!!!

Old 07-06-2007, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,874 times
GAisgreat, I have to laugh. At first I was scratching my head. With a name like that I couldn't imagine you were making negative comments about Ga? Then I had to laugh. I grew up in the Athens area and moved away when I was 17. I spent many years first in Philadelphia and then Fort Lauderdale where I lived for 12 years. I am one of those people who has left Florida this past year for Ga. Yes, Florida is that bad. It is worse than bad. But then I was shocked to see Metro Atlanta become just as bad. South Florida is full of transplants who bring want people to be like they are back home. We don't call South Florida the sixth borough of New York for nothing. After returning home last year I was sad to see that mentality in Metro Atlanta (especially Gwinnett Co.) Personally I would like to see those folks do what I did. Just go home.

By the way Good food (Bar-b-Q for one), strong traditions, and diversity does exist in Ga You just have to leave Atlanta. Come to Athens for a visit. Our downtown area is full of local restaurants, local stores, and great music.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:56 PM

276 posts, read 1,029,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfeagin View Post
As a 31 year old married mother of 2 young boys, I am overwhelmed by all the comments posted on why all the Floridians are leaving this state. My husband and I have tossed around the idea of moving to Georgia for about a year now. The words have been taken right out of my mouth! I have family near Atlanta so we have done quite a bit of visiting. Camping at Red Top Mountain is amazing! I'm a natiive floridian and I never entertained the thought of leaving up until about 2 years ago. We totally missed the boat on becoming homeowners, real estate has skyrocketed to a point of no return. We really don't know who's buying real estate at these prices, and we see our friends who have purchased homes being overcome with the financial burden of maintaining property taxes and insurance fees. NO THANKS! Our combined income is around 75,000 a year, and good luck making it on that! We can't touch a house for less than $200,000 and that's barely getting you a 3 bedroom home. Taxes and Insurance??? Yea Right! We won't even go there! Our electric bill on a SMALL 3 bedroom duplex runs $280.00 in the summer.(for those of you who don't know - that's about 6 months out of the year). NO THANKS! And what do you get in return?? Miserable summers, skin cancer from the relentless beating of the sun, and green to dead (if you're lucky enough to get rain) for a season change! We are hoping there is more to life in northern Georgia than over-populated water parks and Disney. We want Nature your kids won't get heat stroke enjoying, Spring & Fall, clean rivers, fresh lakes and a front porch. I know you can't help feeling like "the grass is always greener on the other side", but in this case I really hope it is! Georgia residents: we hope you don't think we're over-running your beautiful state, we just want a little piece of what you have!
Well said...and I second your sentiments exactally...I am a floridian as well looking to relocate to GA and I am also looking for the quality and serene lifestyle that you write of...Thank you for the share...Lisa

Old 07-06-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boca Barb View Post
Hubby and I are in So.FL. and plan to sell after January and move to Ga. Sons live in Tx. and want us there............We can't afford the taxes on a home there. They are very high..........like Fl. Sun City, a Del Web Community in Georgetown, Tx. offers housing for us with taxes the same as what we pay here. I don't like Mexican food all that much! We are also not ready for a retirement community.........personally don't care for that sort of living.
Ga. looks great to us! Tired of Florida..........need a change. We visited Dahlonega a few years ago. Loved it there. We are considering moving near Alpharetta, but I will not disclose our location.........we don't want the rest of the Floridians to follow us........tsk tsk...LOL!!!
What do you mean by Florida lite? Maybe I just dont get it but I would like to understand what you mean by this term...Thanks ...Lisa

Old 07-06-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember39 View Post
GAisgreat, I have to laugh. At first I was scratching my head. With a name like that I couldn't imagine you were making negative comments about Ga? Then I had to laugh. I grew up in the Athens area and moved away when I was 17. I spent many years first in Philadelphia and then Fort Lauderdale where I lived for 12 years. I am one of those people who has left Florida this past year for Ga. Yes, Florida is that bad. It is worse than bad. But then I was shocked to see Metro Atlanta become just as bad. South Florida is full of transplants who bring want people to be like they are back home. We don't call South Florida the sixth borough of New York for nothing. After returning home last year I was sad to see that mentality in Metro Atlanta (especially Gwinnett Co.) Personally I would like to see those folks do what I did. Just go home.

By the way Good food (Bar-b-Q for one), strong traditions, and diversity does exist in Ga You just have to leave Atlanta. Come to Athens for a visit. Our downtown area is full of local restaurants, local stores, and great music.
Hi there,
I too am from Fl(transplant from Boston ...sorry) I moved here to be closer to my mom who retired here four years ago to live out the rest of her life without winter....sadly my mom passed away unexpectantly and I dont like Florida for a number of reasons but the climate and such isnt one of them ...Although I do miss the change of seasons. I want what I always thought was a true southern way of life and it AINT here...I have done tons of research and talked to both family and friends who have either lived or visited GA plenty and absolutely love it and the lifestyel as well as the serenity and way of life. I want this for my family and I am looking to narrow down my search. You mention Athens and that is one area that has just come to my attention and I would love to hear more about it if you wouldnt mind(anyone really)..I have been concentrating on Buford and Woodstock as they are smaller cities but still have a quiet feel to them yet are close to stores etc and schools are good which is important to me as we have an 11 yr old. Any feedback/opinion(good or bad) would be more than appreciated...Thanks in advance...Lisa

Old 07-06-2007, 04:29 PM

10 posts, read 43,701 times
Which part of FL are you referring to? I have friends who moved from MIA to ATL due to the reported high crime rate and cost of living...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or