Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 04:05 PM

22 posts, read 41,276 times

Advertisements

Mainly I want information on downtown Athens and the bar scene.

So UGA has been ranked as a top 5 party school on a consistent basis. Personally, I want to know more about the popular bars in downtown Athens and what kind of crowds they attract. What bar would be best if I want to just hang out with my friends, which bar would be best if I want to make friends with UGA students, which bar is known for attracting a lot of the Greek Crowds, which bar is known for attracting people who are looking to just go out and hookup, etc.

Going there as a grad student so I wanted some info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 07:13 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,642 times
Flagpole Magazine | Athens, GA News, Music, Arts, Restaurants

This "paper" covers the night scene for Athens. Lots of other stuff too. Athens is loaded with bars of all sorts. The 40 Watt Club is probably the best known. Lots of big name bands got their start there.

I might add there is no shortage of trouble to get into as well. Lots of students with their mug shots in the local paper. Just had 20 students arrested and charged with felonies regarding manufacture of false IDs.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Flagpole Magazine | Athens, GA News, Music, Arts, Restaurants

This "paper" covers the night scene for Athens. Lots of other stuff too. Athens is loaded with bars of all sorts. The 40 Watt Club is probably the best known. Lots of big name bands got their start there.

I might add there is no shortage of trouble to get into as well. Lots of students with their mug shots in the local paper. Just had 20 students arrested and charged with felonies regarding manufacture of false IDs.
Wow

Well I am a grad student who is 23 but I am trying to find out more about the bars in Athens alone. Like the reputation the bars have, which ones attract more greek crowds and which ones attract a variety.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackleLess View Post
Wow

Well I am a grad student who is 23 but I am trying to find out more about the bars in Athens alone. Like the reputation the bars have, which ones attract more greek crowds and which ones attract a variety.
I'm much, much older than you and way out of that bar scene thing. Maybe someone else can answer the question more directly. I suspect you will have to explore on your own to find your niche. There is no shortage of places nor some where you can get your teeth knocked out, I-phone ripped off etc. The good news is the police are heavily present downtown both the UGA cops and ACC police.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
I'm much, much older than you and way out of that bar scene thing. Maybe someone else can answer the question more directly. I suspect you will have to explore on your own to find your niche. There is no shortage of places nor some where you can get your teeth knocked out, I-phone ripped off etc. The good news is the police are heavily present downtown both the UGA cops and ACC police.
do you know someone here who might know about the bar scene in Athens?

Old 08-20-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackleLess View Post
do you know someone here who might know about the bar scene in Athens?
No, fraid I don't. You might try calling one of the frat houses and connecting with someone. The bars do check IDs so a lot of underage drinking likely occurs inside the frat houses themselves.

Maybe someone else will pop up on this. It is a bit of an unusual question.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:55 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,193 times
I don't see a lot of students on this forum. Maybe they are at the bars

Seriously, there are bars everywhere in downtown Athens. I am sure you will figure out which ones you want to frequent pretty quickly without understanding the 'scene' before you get here.

My kids are starting to look at colleges and even though we are local to UGA my kids have it on the bottom of their lists because of the party reputation. If that's what you are looking for I think you will be satisfied.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:05 PM

I am already AT UGA.

lol

Old 08-20-2013, 09:15 PM

Oh good. I will make it a point not to bother replying to this sort of query again. Wasted time.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:01 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,315,899 times
Just go there this Friday/Saturday evening, and you will see the crowds. Some more popular than another, etc. Some of these bars come and go as well, so most people won't remember the names of each one.

Look at that flagpole list as well.

Globe should be a good one for a grad student to start, I think. Nowhere bar, I think is a very cool place that has been around for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: