Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 10:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,733 times

Advertisements

Looking for info about Lagrange, Ga area. Most of the forums I found were old. I'm currently in south Ga & commute 40 minutes to Tallahassee, Fl to work as an RN. My father works for Kia & lives in Lagrange, and I'm wondering if it would be a good move for me & my daughter, age 10, for a fresh start & to be closer to him. I'd be leaving my comfort zone & major support system for this place I'm unfamiliar with & know no one but my dad & stepmother, so its a big decision. Any info on good neighborhoods, rental rates on housing (what am I going to get for my money? $1200/mo where I am is high-end rent. Am I leaving a nicer home in a great neighborhood for an outdated downgrade at the same price? Where do I even begin looking?...big concern) schools (elementary & middle...I've done a little research there), after school programs, summer programs, recreation (is there horseback riding lessons, or gymnastics/cheer/dance there??), medical community & job market/salaries for nurses? Are people happy living there? Do most have to commute to larger areas for work or better pay? What do people do for recreation in the area (no day trips to Destin I'm assuming!)? Are there community events/festivals/etc? I do remember a lot of churches. Is it an easy town to transition into with the people & lifestyle, etc....any info helps. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 04:22 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyMom1 View Post
Looking for info about Lagrange, Ga area. Most of the forums I found were old. I'm currently in south Ga & commute 40 minutes to Tallahassee, Fl to work as an RN. My father works for Kia & lives in Lagrange, and I'm wondering if it would be a good move for me & my daughter, age 10, for a fresh start & to be closer to him. I'd be leaving my comfort zone & major support system for this place I'm unfamiliar with & know no one but my dad & stepmother, so its a big decision. Any info on good neighborhoods, rental rates on housing (what am I going to get for my money? $1200/mo where I am is high-end rent. Am I leaving a nicer home in a great neighborhood for an outdated downgrade at the same price? Where do I even begin looking?...big concern) schools (elementary & middle...I've done a little research there), after school programs, summer programs, recreation (is there horseback riding lessons, or gymnastics/cheer/dance there??), medical community & job market/salaries for nurses? Are people happy living there? Do most have to commute to larger areas for work or better pay? What do people do for recreation in the area (no day trips to Destin I'm assuming!)? Are there community events/festivals/etc? I do remember a lot of churches. Is it an easy town to transition into with the people & lifestyle, etc....any info helps. Thanks!!
What about living in Columbus and commuting to Lagrange?

Old 09-12-2013, 06:29 AM

3 posts, read 3,733 times
Thought about outlying areas, and I don't mind a short commute for work, but because my dad is in Lagrange, & I'd need close support as a single parent, I'd rather be there if I decide to go that direction. From what I've been seeing, the northwest part of town? (Hillcrest area) seems to be nice & family oriented with a good school zone. Not sure what the rental rates are there, didn't find much online, but the homes I was looking at are outside my budget at $1450+ range. I currently pay $1200/mo and thats top budget if I found a position with comparable salary to what I earn in Tallahassee. I like the small town feel, and like that its a cental location to larger areas like Atlanta, Columbus or Auburn. Planning to visit & explore the area more in upcoming months before I make a decision. I'd be relocating at the end of this school year if we decide to take to leap.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:24 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
My nephew just finished his RN at LaGrange College and was immediately hired on at West GA Medical Center. They love life there. They have a nicely renovated home near the college, just 5 minutes or so from the hospital.

I love LaGrange. I grew up northeast of there in rural Meriwether County, went to high school in Hogansville (back when it was a city run system and they allowed us to cross county lines). LaGrange was where we went for all our shopping, dining, etc. One of the nicest small cities in the south IMHO.

There are plenty of great options in LaGrange proper, not sure of rents but would think you could get a nice home for your budget. Commuting from Columbus would not be anything I would consider doing, can see no advantage there whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia