Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 01:14 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Why do you keep trying to paint the entire state of Georgia with your miserable broad brush? The rest of the state is NOT like Meriwether County!
Because at this point in time, Meriwether county is the one I've lived in the shorted period of time out of the 7~8 years I've lived in GA. My experiences aren't limited to this county, and I certainly don't Stay in this county exclusively. It may be slightly worse here (I donno about that myself), but as someone who isn't "from" here and talking with lots of others who are the same, we sure seem to share a lot of similar gripes and it has nothing to do with the county of residence. Especially considering I know very few people in Meriwether.

*shrug* your opinion differs, that's fine. Takes all kinds of people ~ even those who would chose to live in GA given another option. I'm only here because my wife wanted to be here (though she has regrets now that we're here). But I try to make the best of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
$350K for 5 acres is not going to happen within at least 45 minutes of Sandy Springs. Doing a cursory search of property with acreage 3-10 acres in Fulton, Cobb, Cherokee, Forsyth, Dekalb and Gwinnett counties between $300K and $400K, there are 65 properties for sale, more than half of which has 4 or more bedrooms. HOWEVER, none of those houses are within 15 miles north of 285, or within 10 miles east and west of 285. Some of the homes are frankly advertised as tear-downs -- very old ranches, for example, on large lots. Going further out gives you more options -- but further away from Sandy Springs, if not necessarily too much in mileage, then definitely in travel time.

I honestly don't think you'll find any issues with your families unique ethnic heritage -- you'll probably get a few raised eyebrows and a few interested questions -- but other than that, by the next week, you'll be old news. :-)

Old 10-16-2013, 06:16 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
I want to agree with dblackga. Your budget, desired commute and house specs aren't compatible.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:40 PM

21 posts, read 31,084 times
Ok, so if I'm out of my price range North of Atlanta (which I was afraid of...) talk to me about south of Atlanta...
All the same questions. And, yes, I know this will only be possible if hubby can work remotely.
As somewhat depressing as your answers are regarding my budget, I appreciate them all very much. I am hoping we actually get an answer soon if this is even going to happen, because I am driving myself nuts with all the 'what ifs'.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:57 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyfourLegs View Post
Ok, so if I'm out of my price range North of Atlanta (which I was afraid of...) talk to me about south of Atlanta...
All the same questions. And, yes, I know this will only be possible if hubby can work remotely.
As somewhat depressing as your answers are regarding my budget, I appreciate them all very much. I am hoping we actually get an answer soon if this is even going to happen, because I am driving myself nuts with all the 'what ifs'.
Fayette or Coweta counties (SW of the ATL airport) would both offer everything you're looking for ... affordable acreage and good schools, diverse population, safety, fine shopping and restaurants, etc. .... and much more "open" and rural lifestyle than the very congested North ATL suburbs. The only concern would be your husband's commute to work, which is perfectly doable if only a couple of days a week.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:15 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyfourLegs View Post
You're not out of your price range in the North Metro Atlanta suburbs as you can still find a high-quality home for $350k or less in a diverse area with good schools and activities for the kids.

...You'll just have to substantially decrease your expectations for acreage down to a property size that will likely only be one-tenth of what you desire, particularly on the heavily-populated and heavily-developed Northside of Metro Atlanta where major suburban counties like Cobb, North Fulton and Gwinnett are approaching total build-out status.

$350k for a 4-bedroom home in a diverse area with good schools and activities for the kids relatively close to where your husband will be working in Sandy Springs is very obtainable, but likely only if you lower your expectations down to either a detached single-family home or an attached Northeastern-style rowhouse townhome.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:47 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
You're not out of your price range in the North Metro Atlanta suburbs as you can still find a high-quality home for $350k or less in a diverse area with good schools and activities for the kids.

...You'll just have to substantially decrease your expectations for acreage down to a property size that will likely only be one-tenth of what you desire, particularly on the heavily-populated and heavily-developed Northside of Metro Atlanta where major suburban counties like Cobb, North Fulton and Gwinnett are approaching total build-out status.

$350k for a 4-bedroom home in a diverse area with good schools and activities for the kids relatively close to where your husband will be working in Sandy Springs is very obtainable, but likely only if you lower your expectations down to either a detached single-family home or an attached Northeastern-style rowhouse townhome.
She has horses --- she needs the acreage.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:27 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Again, I recommend Coweta County (SW of the airport). That's gonna give you the most bang for your buck, if you need pastureland to accommodate horses. But the commute to Sandy Springs would be near impossible to do on a daily basis.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:25 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
She has horses --- she needs the acreage.
...Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Again, I recommend Coweta County (SW of the airport). That's gonna give you the most bang for your buck, if you need pastureland to accommodate horses. But the commute to Sandy Springs would be near impossible to do on a daily basis.
...Coweta and Fayette counties south of Atlanta would be a good place to look for acreage in your price range, though Newsboy makes a good point that commuting from south of Atlanta for a distance of between 40-60 miles one-way through extremely-heavy rush hour traffic to the Northside would be extremely-difficult (if not impossible psychologically) to do each workday.

That means that, like Newsboy recommended before, living on the Southside should likely only be an option if the OP's husband will be commuting to and from Sandy Springs only 2-3 times each week tops.

If the OP's husband will be commuting to and from Sandy Springs on a more-frequent basis (like at least 4-5 times weekly through very-heavy rush hour rush hour traffic), to attempt to minimize the effects of what could potentially be a long rush hour commute to and from work, the OP should likely consider looking at exurban, semi-rural and rural areas in Cherokee and Forsyth counties where the type of acreage that the OP is looking for could POTENTIALLY be available in the price range that the OP is looking for on the Northside possibly SLIGHTLY closer to her husband's workplace.

The OP could also increase her family's chances of finding the amount of acreage and price range that she is looking for by looking further out from Atlanta to the north in areas like Pickens, Dawson and Lumpkin counties that would place the OP and her family in the highest foothills and southernmost ranges of the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains.

The OP could and would likely increase her chances of finding the type of acreage and price range that she is seeking by looking in outer-suburban and exurban Northside areas like Cherokee, Forsyth, Pickens, Dawson and Lumpkin counties, but the OP would also have to sacrifice the type of diversity that her family is seeking as almost all of those outlying Northside areas are still overwhelmingly predominantly white (...to the tune of no less than 80% white).

Though, the OP could possibly increase her chances of finding 5 acres for $350k or less in a slightly more diverse area with quality schools by looking around in South Hall County in the feeder zone for Flowery Branch High School where whites only make up about 70% of the student body.

The OP could also try looking in mostly exurban and rural Barrow County (off of GA 316 between Atlanta and Athens) in the feeder zones for Apalachee and Winder-Barrow high schools where whites only makeup about 60% of those respective student bodies.

The only challenge with living in Hall or Barrow counties is that, despite being more diverse than other outlying counties with an abundance of affordable acreage, and despite being on the Northside of the metro area possibly slightly-closer to where OP's husband will be working in Sandy Springs, the OP's husband would have a challenging rush hour commute by way of I-985 and I-85 to and from Hall County and by way of GA 316 and I-85 to and from Barrow County.

In any case, the if the OP and her family want 5 acres for $350K, the OP and her family are going to have to accept that her husband is going to be making a LONG commute to and from Sandy Springs through very-heavy to extremely-heavy rush hour traffic every workday (unless her husband is able to leave very-early for work every workday before about 6:30am when Atlanta rush hour traffic often starts to get extremely and severely-heavy, likely resulting in a longer day for him).

Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
In any case, the if the OP and her family want 5 acres for $350K, the OP and her family are going to have to accept that her husband is going to be making a LONG commute to and from Sandy Springs through very-heavy to extremely-heavy rush hour traffic every workday (unless her husband is able to leave very-early for work every workday before about 6:30am when Atlanta rush hour traffic often starts to get extremely and severely-heavy, likely resulting in a longer day for him).
Its all about choices; is a paycheck from urban/suburban-located employment coupled with a rural lifestyle worth the extra time spent on a longer commute? Are you willing to possibly never see your house with all that acreage in daylight during the late-fall/early-winter months [i.e., leave for work before sunrise, get home after sunset]? If you need a doctor, should you get one closer to home, or work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia