Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 09:39 AM

13 posts, read 27,422 times

Advertisements

We've been looking in the mountains for a retirement place, Ellijay, Cherry Log, Blue Ridge, Blairsville, Dahlonega, etc. We made a few day trip up in October and another in November. One thing that I am very curious about, why so many places for sale. Other than the economy, anything unusual about the areas mentioned I should know. I've seen some dated threads here about illegals and stuff like that, but what I'm concerned about is environmental, like water problems, huge pending tax increases, things that would be a big surprise after moving in, things a realtor won't tell you unless you ask the right questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 10:52 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
We've been looking in the mountains for a retirement place, Ellijay, Cherry Log, Blue Ridge, Blairsville, Dahlonega, etc. We made a few day trip up in October and another in November. One thing that I am very curious about, why so many places for sale. Other than the economy, anything unusual about the areas mentioned I should know[?] I've seen some dated threads here about illegals and stuff like that, but what I'm concerned about is environmental, like water problems, huge pending tax increases, things that would be a big surprise after moving in, things a realtor won't tell you unless you ask the right questions.
Nope, no environmental issues, water problems or huge pending tax increases to be concerned about in this case.

Just simply too much overbuilding during the last economic cycle before the downturn (developers trying to sell mountain properties to a once-robust but now-diminished market that included vacationers and retirees from Florida and other places) and a mountain economy that continues to struggle mightily during the so-called current economic recovery.

If you are looking for a place to retire to or vacation, the North Georgia Mountains are a great place to do that with properties that are much-cheaper now than they were before the economic downturn as there is no sinister underlying issue, just a mountain economy that continues to lag more-populated areas like Metro Atlanta.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:15 PM

Thank you for the good info.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:16 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Born 2 Roll hit it exactly right.

With that being said, when you are looking at homes in the area, your biggest concern's should take into account how far of a drive you want for your needs (how far to the grocery, medical care, etc.?) and the quality of construction. We drove by hundreds, narrowed our list down prior to actually having the realtor set up the appointments, and still looked at plenty and saw such a wide amount of quality differences. Be sure and find out about the quality of the builder. We found just the perfect place and the quality has been worth the effort.

Welcome to the mountains!

Old 12-01-2013, 06:44 AM

What we are looking to do is to bring our RV up in the area in the spring for a few months and take our time looking around much like you aus10 did. Once again, good advice and thank you for that.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:40 PM

744 posts, read 2,482,123 times
Bringing an RV up and really taking time to explore all your options is really good advice .Be sure to add Rabun county and Towns county to your list of places to look into .

Old 12-01-2013, 06:58 PM

nosticks... there are a lot of wonderful RV parks in the area. Depending on how you like to camp. Everything from wonderful state parks to RV resorts. Let me know what kind you prefer and I'll be glad to share some info.

Also... you'll want to do some checking. Depending on what kind of property your looking for you need to be aware of the roads getting your RV in and out of your place. We didn't want to "store" our RV, thus we had to make sure the roads and bridges we traveled could handle the rig. Low weight bridges, narrow curvy roads, and grade can all make a difference. Some sub-divisions (even the rural ones) wouldn't allow our RV. Make sure you check for any covenants and restrictions.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:32 AM

aus10, We have a fifth wheel, so the idea is to use it as a base and take day trips. I like full hook ups, 50a if available, and reliable wi-fi is a must. We tow with a 4 x 4, so we should be able to travel just about any road without the 5er attached, although up there I've found a few that make turning around a fun experience. I would most likely start off in Ellijay as a base then later move up and over to Hiawassee, from there to Dahlonega. Any suggestions as to campgrounds in those areas would be appreciated.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:12 AM

194 posts, read 317,346 times
nosticks, Born 2 Roll is right. North Ga was just over built and there is really no industry up there to support the development, hence the buyers market. I attended Young Harris college in the 80s and remember how "country" the whole region was. Now, Hiawassee and Blairsville have most amenities that the suburbs have i.e. grocery, shopping, etc.. I developed some property in Rabun county in the 90s and remember that they did not have residential building codes or inspectors. Therefore, every man with a pick-up was a "contractor". So take aus10's advice and really check the quality of the houses you inquire about.

The entire region is awesome and the only "environmental" issue is the Woolly Adelgid that is killing the hemlocks in the area. The GDNR is working with locals to correct the problem so hopefully a solution is forthcoming. What is killing my Hemlocks? How to Save Your Hemlocks - Woolly Adelgid Infestation

But you will love the mountains, so good luck and welcome to the hills.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
aus10, We have a fifth wheel, so the idea is to use it as a base and take day trips. I like full hook ups, 50a if available, and reliable wi-fi is a must. We tow with a 4 x 4, so we should be able to travel just about any road without the 5er attached, although up there I've found a few that make turning around a fun experience. I would most likely start off in Ellijay as a base then later move up and over to Hiawassee, from there to Dahlonega. Any suggestions as to campgrounds in those areas would be appreciated.

There are two campgrounds that I know well in Ellijay. Diamond Lure and Plum Nelly. Diamond Lure (south of town is probably the best of those two). Plum Nelly is probably more convenient.

Moving north off 515 you'll find Camp Cherry Log. Admittedly I know nothing about it... (we've got a Diesel Pusher that won't fit just anywhere) and I here that it is a little off the beaten path...

Blairsville has two very fine places.... Trackrock south of town.... or Mountain View RV Resort! Mountain View is very close to Blairsville and all it has to offer.

In Hiawassee I'd try either River Bend or the Georgia Mountain Fair Campground.

Another place that we stayed and thoroughly enjoyed was Rivers Edge Mountain RV resort up in Murphy, N.C. If your looking in the area north of Blairsville and up close to the state-line... it was excellent.

Have fun!!!! Hopefully someone can giver some Dahlonega info... because I rarely get down that way... and then others may have some other hidden gems I don't know about....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia