Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,347 times

Advertisements

I am a young mother and wife who will possibly be moving to albany, ga. I have an 18 month old son and is currently pregnant with #2. My husband and I were trying to figure out what is there to do in albany with a little one? I have lived in Atlanta before but never albany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 12:00 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Stay as far away from Albany as you can. Trust me it is not a good place for a child.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:22 AM

76 posts, read 114,443 times
I live in Albany. Not a good place to live at all.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:12 AM

55 posts, read 69,548 times
been to albany not to down it but it will be a total shock from atlanta even if you lived in the burbs of atlanta its still a culture shock to albany they messed by not putting the interstate at least close to the city thats just my opinion

Old 02-01-2014, 06:56 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
It's not that bad. I know a good handful of people from there. It's a little provincial, but it's not the North Dakota oil fields.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:47 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times
The biggest issue with cities outside of Atlanta in Georgia is the job market. There are not a lot of good jobs. The biggest employers in most counties are medical centers, colleges, and the local board of education.

That being said, if you or your husband will be moving to Albany with a good job, then you will be fine as you can live in a nice area with like minded people and others with young children. It will be much slower paced than Atlanta, but fine.

As far as activities with young children, the downside compared with Atlanta is that there isn't much in the way of cultural offerings but the rural areas of southwest GA offer much in the way of outdoor recreation. I hear the Flint River Aquarium is very nice, though I have never been there. Instead of going to museums and kid friendly theaters, etc, you will spend more time in parks, near lakes, etc. Not a bad trade if you enjoy being outside.

A lot of it is perspective...By that I mean most smaller southern cities/areas have great things and not so great things that create the town's identity. If you go with an open mind and try to take advantage of the good and appreciate it for what it is then you will probably enjoy anyplace. The people who have a hard time are those who are looking for a replica of what they had or did in their previous city and become frustrated when they can't find it.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:19 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
The people I bought my house from in 2010 were moving to that area. They bought a home in Leesburg (which I'm guessing was a more desirable option around there).

Old 11-07-2014, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,705 times
My family moved to Albany, GA from Florida and it was pretty difficult to "fit in" here. Everyone seems to know everyone and they see you as an outsider. The people have been nice and polite, but not overly eager to invite you to join their circle. The majority of the city is not really anywhere you would want to go (Poor, run down and full of crime). There are a few nicer areas on the NW side of Albany near Lake Park Elementary and the Lee County/Do. County line that are pretty good. I dont feel overly safe here, but not overly threatened either. It depends on what neighborhood and schools you end up with. Leesburg is a smaller town connected to Albany that many people tend to gravitate towards. It doesn't offer much in that town, but the crime is lower (although probably comparable to the NW side of Albany). We haved lived here almost 2 years and are finally getting adjusted. They offer a few good things for kids like the Flint Riverquarium, the Flint River and trail, and Chehaw animal zoo. We are regulars there! There are occassional kids events, but it is rare. I wouldn't choose to move here if you have other options though.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:04 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satarib90 View Post
I am a young mother and wife who will possibly be moving to albany, ga. I have an 18 month old son and is currently pregnant with #2. My husband and I were trying to figure out what is there to do in albany with a little one? I have lived in Atlanta before but never albany.
My family is from the surrounding area - I grew up going to Albany for "big city" things - shopping, restaurants, etc. I still have family in Albany. True, the downtown has not been revived and is a bit weary; however, the areas of town out toward and beyond the mall are nice family areas - Doublegate Country Club comes to mind. In addition to the amenities described in prior posts, above, also look into the performances, exhibits and events sponsored by the local college - Darton State College. I believe ASU also sponsors these sorts of things, but I am less familiar with ASU. Albany is a place that you have to make your own and make of it what you put into it. But, Albany and its surrounding areas are just fine.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:18 AM

286 posts, read 437,938 times
Even though this is a old thread if your still deciding on moving to albany ga.I can not judge albany ga because I have never been there before. But im pretty sure with albany only having a population of only 77,434 residents it probably doesn't offer much as far as jobs go.But I could be wrong

If your still having a tough decision on moving to albany then why don't you try Columbus ga it's only an hour from atlanta. Columbus ga does have high crime like albany but columbus does offer a little more than albany. Because columbus does have a higher population so there would be better shopping and entertainment and stores here. And our downtown is great too. Like I said I have never been to albany so I can not judge it.
The only two bad things I have heard about albany is the crime and the poverty because lack of jobs. But Columbus does offer a little more in jobs but just a little more than albany because columbus has a few 500 fortune companies here and also columbus is a faster growing city compared to albany.

So if your looking for a better downtown for entertainment to dine shop and live then downtown Columbus is the better choice. I heard that downtown albany doesn't offer much for dining most of there storefronts downtown are vacant.

Last edited by columbusmetro89; 01-18-2015 at 04:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia