U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:03 PM

985 posts, read 5,289,439 times

Advertisements

IMHO, the best chinese restaurant is China Inn in Doraville on Peachtree industrial Road. It probably is most authentic Chinese food from all suggestions from my Chinese friends. They are going to open another one in Duluth (I just saw they put up the new sign just a couple of days ago) in front of super Walmart, across the street from super H Mart and the best thing is that is is about five minutes from my house

Old 12-20-2006, 03:11 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,360,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
IMHO, the best chinese restaurant is China Inn in Doraville on Peachtree industrial Road. It probably is most authentic Chinese food from all suggestions from my Chinese friends. They are going to open another one in Duluth (I just saw they put up the new sign just a couple of days ago) in front of super Walmart, across the street from super H Mart and the best thing is that is is about five minutes from my house
jx,

I have one for you, the Iron Wok in Dacula/Hamilton Mill GA.
Exit 120. Right to the light, left on 124. Follow to right just past Starbucks,
by far the best Mongolian Beef I have ever had. Place is first rate.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:44 PM

165 posts, read 604,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
I wish I could go back home but I have a child in high school now and I promised myself and him that we would stay put until he graduates. Sometimes as a parent, you have to do what's in your child's best interest. In this case, some stability. But you better believe that as soon as he is off to college, I am out of the South for good!
I do not see anyone else who caught something. His "handle" (name) is NY LATIN QT.... Get it? NY Latin..... Without going into detail, (We) Latinos who are raised in the NY area often can NOT get used to anywhere else too easily. His son may be happy in GA, but not him..... Hey, 'mano (slang for brother), when you can, go back home (to NY) and have some cerveza (beer) and listen to salsa and bachata (Spanish dance music)..... ...................I have had complaints like everyone else, but I have lived happily in New Jersey, Puerto Rico, and now Florida, and who knows if Georgia might see me some day.... LOL

PS. I'd be in New Jersey, my stomping grounds, if I could afford it AND it wasn't so #$@ cold..... But I do love Florida.....

Old 12-25-2006, 01:58 PM

1,748 posts, read 4,925,215 times
Is Taylor Ham available in Atlanta?

Old 12-25-2006, 02:10 PM

947 posts, read 2,771,677 times
Is this the one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Ham ?

If so, Publix Supermarkets should have them around here.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,426 times
As the Peanuts gang would say "Good grief Charlie Brown" you a block head" Georgia is one of the most self rising and exciting city since California. I moved from Ohio in 1990 and never considered on going back. Yes, I was homesick for the first year but I was determined to stick it out and Hotlanta has been gooooood to me!!!. Life is what you make it, it do not make you. I am a soul sister that loves the south and country music, cowboys and boots and still love my afrocentric attributes I was born with. I have a great job with the state in unemployment and looking forward to buying my first house in March annnnnd going even further into the south of Georgia. Yeah, check out Newnan it is great! I lived in the airport are (East Point, College Park, Hapeville) known as the Tri-Cities community. It was good for the 15 years I spent here, I am older now, kids are grown with college degrees and I have 16 grandchildren. So yep, I am ready to leave the city and go 100% country. I look good for my age and stay active and in tuned with life. Will release my first inspiration book for women in 2007....oh my goodness, it was the best move I ever made. So giddy-up and get some oomph in your poomph, enjoy Atlanta. Bobby Brown sures the hell do!!

Old 12-27-2006, 12:37 PM

11 posts, read 41,908 times
Well im from NYand relocated to NC 3 years ago from there and just recently moved here to Savannah GA with my husband and family thanks to the military.

I will say yes I have my moments where I miss NY and yes theres alot to do up there, but that is the extent of it. There is no reason that I have friends who have decent successful careers there and still live at home with there parents because they cant afford the rent there or are renting an apt in someones basement because they can t afford to buy a house there.

I have met many people from NYC down here and GA and NC that are from the Bronx , BK and LI (where im from) that agree if it wasnt for them living down here they would never even own a house or make enough money to raise a family off of comfortably. Alos these are young people 23 and 24 years old owning house and living nicely. The South is what you make of it granted when I 1st moved to NC I lived in a small little town where you darn near had to drive to your mailbox because thats how far the driveway was and you couldnt walk to a store.

But once we moved into Fort Bragg Fayetteville area it was perfect we had a beautiful apt for under $650 a month and there were plenty of people from all over there.

We are now in Savannah and while Savannah is more costly then other parts of the south I have seen I would rather be here then NY anyday .

This is coming from someone who when I did live in NY never stayed home was always in the city partying, living it up and doing everything else. We now own our 2nd home 3 brd 2bth 2 decent cars, my parents are very successful but pay $2000 a month in long island for a house thats smaller then ours and older. This is just my personal opinion but I wouldnt be to quick to run back to NY.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:37 PM

233 posts, read 827,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldiersWifey25 View Post

This is coming from someone who when I did live in NY never stayed home was always in the city partying, living it up and doing everything else. We now own our 2nd home 3 brd 2bth 2 decent cars, my parents are very successful but pay $2000 a month in long island for a house thats smaller then ours and older. This is just my personal opinion but I wouldnt be to quick to run back to NY.
I agree with your comment 100%. I attribute a good percentage of my success to having relocated to the South. I still know people in NY, in their 30's living at home, because rent is too high for someone with an average job to afford. There are people in the South working at the neighborhood supermarket, and are still able to pay their mortgage, instead of rent.

There is the argument of lower wages from the North to South. I think if you sit down and do the math, you will save more by moving to the South.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:47 PM

81 posts, read 435,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
I have to disagree with one point. That would be the food. NY has great delis, and I love a good deli. But Chicago has much better pizza, and there is simply no comparison between a Chicago dog and Sibrets (sp?)
I haven't been to NY in many years but my recollection is that the pizza in NYC is the best in the world (Chicago is good too but the cornmeal in the crust is a bit strange). Chicago dogs are great but I had a hotdog in Buffalo (atleast I think it was buffalo), that was called a Jaffafa hot (Spelling?) that I still have dreams about. With all of that being said, there is a barbeque place in Vienna, Ga. called Jack's Old South. They serve the best ribs in the world. You can see their bill boards on I75, advertizing the world's best barbeque and they are not exagerating.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:28 PM

12 posts, read 53,680 times
Well Go! dont be putting down where I live cause you want to live with a rat in a box or whatever you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia