U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,491 times

Advertisements

Good post, I live in Savannah GA but my house is sold and I'm moving back to Buffalo, NY. Thats right! I love home and move in 6 weeks. Simply put I miss everything about home, and there is NOTHING to keep me here. Buffalo has a BETTER cost of living than Savannah, by far. Savannah is way too hot.
Buffalo has more character, sports, arts, education, leisure, culture than Savannah could ever dream.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:27 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,474,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bflobound View Post
Good post, I live in Savannah GA but my house is sold and I'm moving back to Buffalo, NY. Thats right! I love home and move in 6 weeks. Simply put I miss everything about home, and there is NOTHING to keep me here. Buffalo has a BETTER cost of living than Savannah, by far. Savannah is way too hot.
Buffalo has more character, sports, arts, education, leisure, culture than Savannah could ever dream.

Sadly, Savannah has really become downtrodden during the past 15-yrs. Much like what's happening in Camden, NJ, if you've been following their news in recent months. Camden is now the murder capital of the U.S. In 1990, it was beautiful & I considered moving to Savannah, from Atlanta, as I thought it would be nice to live in a smaller city. When I revisted in 2000 in the hopes of relocating, it was scarey. I'm fairly friendly & try to gain local info, no matter where I travel. So many local biz owners recounted stories of it's unsafety & amazing increase in crime. While looking for inner-city apts, I just saw row upon row of burned out bldgs where squatters/addicts lived & then 2 streets of lovely apts in the middle. That area wasn't like that just 10-yrs previous. The landlord was scared to death to get out of her car to show me the apt & you wouldn't believe the look on her face as I walked up to her car. She was terrified of me & I'm a small, blonde girl! Hardly intimidating.

It's happening in pockets in every state, but I understand you're wanting to leave. Glad you sold your home & good luck in your relocation. But, truly dude! Moving BACK to Buffalo come winter! Wow! You really are a hearty NY-er! My hat's off to ya'! (Leave yours on. You're going to need it!)
Freezing here in Boston once the sun goes down. Must be i c y cold in Buffalo!

Best of luck to you! Keep us posted on settling back in Buffalo... Baltic_Celt

Old 10-29-2006, 03:27 PM

21 posts, read 125,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkir View Post
OK, this is what is really freaking me out about moving to northern Atlanta (and is the reason we think we have to stick with the Alpharetta area). Are people in Cumming, Sugar Hill, Suwanee, and further north so biased against those who are NOT Baptist that it truly can cause a problem???? I am no holy roller but am a practicing Catholic and I would hate to put my kids in a situation where they were berated because of it.
YES THEY ARE! Try being Jewish in Cumming, and towns north of here - talk about feeing like an outsider! Just can't wait till December and the battle of the neighborhood decorations contests... My children have already been harrased for their religion, and this is in elementary school... Let's see how the schools will handle this!

Old 10-29-2006, 04:29 PM

894 posts, read 3,969,215 times
Default Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooner View Post
YES THEY ARE! Try being Jewish in Cumming, and towns north of here - talk about feeing like an outsider! Just can't wait till December and the battle of the neighborhood decorations contests... My children have already been harrased for their religion, and this is in elementary school... Let's see how the schools will handle this!
Where did you come from prior to living in Cumming? Did you research the area before decieding to live there? I think I read that you are waiting for your lease to be up, where will you go then?

BTW, I found a temple in Dahlongea, granted they use the physical location of a church, but it is a temple nevertheless.

My husband and I are relocating to Metro Atlanta in the next several months, I am Jewish, he is not. Our son is a freshman in college so need for us to worry about kids and school. kids today have so much to deal with, let alone getting harrased for their religion....

Old 10-29-2006, 04:51 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,376,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooner View Post
My children have already been harrased for their religion, and this is in elementary school... Let's see how the schools will handle this!
I hate to read that in this day and age, people (especially children) are harrassed for their religion anywhere in this country. Is anyone taught respect anymore??? I am sorry that happened to your children, FOONER.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:54 PM

21 posts, read 125,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
I hate to read that in this day and age, people (especially children) are harrassed for their religion anywhere in this country. Is anyone taught respect anymore??? I am sorry that happened to your children, FOONER.
Thanks adream...I apprectiate the understanding. My kids are learning a valuable lesson in all this - to stand up for themselves and to choose their friends wisely.. We didn't have to deal with much of this before moving to Cumming, but it IS eye-opening to hear what local parents, and local churches are teaching children these days. Yes, the homes here are beautiful, and everything LOOKS so nice, but in reality,what's going on here is ugly.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:17 PM

575 posts, read 568,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I'm surprised "the war" hasn't begun yet over that post. LOL... people must be sleeping in this weekend. ;-) Good luck... once Billy Joe Bob and Darla Sue Mae read that, there's gonna be some riled up folks puttin' together a hootenannie (or whatever) to get rid of you.
I almost fell out of my chair. I love humor!! Please do not make me fall on the floor laughing. My son thought I was going loco... when I read your post above I was laughing loudly.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:27 PM

575 posts, read 568,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bflobound View Post
Buffalo!! the only thing I like about Buffalo is "Buffalo Wings" <wink> No Buffalo is to cold for me. Called best friend last week she was snowed in...I have had enough snow in my life time living in Maryland... not as much as Buffalo. I do like going over to Toronto, Canada.
Good luck!
I hope you kept your LandsEnd Clothes---I gave all my turtle neck sweaters away and also all of my "LONG JOHNS"....brrrrrrrrrr keep warm.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:53 AM

5 posts, read 12,242 times
Baltic_Celt,

Great post!! I agree with almost everything you had to say. Part of the problem in the north and eastern Ga. area is a long ugly history with the north (yankees.)
My mother was not allowed to attend her oldest sister's wedding in the 1930's because she was marring a yankee from Chicago, her grandfather was wounded in the battle of Atlanta. Push forward 70 years and I married a wonderful catholic girl from Detroit (I'm a hockey fan now.)

I grew up in Savannah in a very mixed culture! In Savannah everyone gets along and I mean everyone. Did you know Savannah has one of the largest Jewish communities in the south, large gay comm. Greek and German not to mention all the English, Scotts and Irish. It is very different from rural Ga.

And my favorite football team is Newcastle United.

Rich

Old 11-01-2006, 01:34 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,474,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floormerich View Post
Baltic_Celt,

Great post!! I agree with almost everything you had to say. Part of the problem in the north and eastern Ga. area is a long ugly history with the north (yankees.)
My mother was not allowed to attend her oldest sister's wedding in the 1930's because she was marring a yankee from Chicago, her grandfather was wounded in the battle of Atlanta. Push forward 70 years and I married a wonderful catholic girl from Detroit (I'm a hockey fan now.)

I grew up in Savannah in a very mixed culture! In Savannah everyone gets along and I mean everyone. Did you know Savannah has one of the largest Jewish communities in the south, large gay comm. Greek and German not to mention all the English, Scotts and Irish. It is very different from rural Ga.

And my favorite football team is Newcastle United.

Rich

Rich -

I agree with what you say, as well. Thank you for your post. All our family histories are filled with heartaching stories, no? Times change, situations heal & others stay the same & don't heal. Guess we can only be responsible for our thoughts/behaviors/words. Seems like you did okay then...

Newcastle United, is it? Now that's "football"! I saw Manchester United play back in the Eric Cantona days. Don't remember the opposing team, but it was after I lived in the UK & was visiting friends. Dragged along by some Irish friends. Amazing day! Been a fan of the sport since. Lots of fans in Boston, ya' know. Now, those are some footballer fans!

Cheers, then my friend... Baltic_Celt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia