U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 05:03 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,955,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
Very true stvincent. I am white and hang with my own kind. I have nothing against other colors but my music is different, my worship is different, my way of socializing is different, my focus on life is different and all this is okay. Malcom X was right on target when he said " Let white be White, Let Black be Black and let's still get along". He was put down by people who thought it was "against God " to segregate but hey, we live in America and we all have the right to live as we want. Hate is bad and abomination to God. Segregation is a choice people have a right to make if they want to when it comes to their personal life. Nobody should put anybody down that feels this way. This violates everything we say we stand for in the US.
I think you are making a lot of generalizations....blacks are not from another planet, many want the same things in life that you do. They have the same emotions, feel the same pain and joy, love their children, worship the same God and many enjoy the same music and culture as non-blacks...they also have friends and socialize in a similar fashion....their "focus on life" is not different...many want the same things as any other person. There are exceptions across the color board. I don't think you realize how prejudiced you sound.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:15 PM

17,835 posts, read 29,963,939 times
georgia and brian - your "killing me" I want pizza and cheesesteaks now not in 5 more days when I fly up north. We land at 10:30 with picking up the luggage and rental car I am guessing by noon I will be starting with my first slice and contemplating a cheesesteak. I am bringing a empty tote bag to bring home bagels,tastee Kakes and some good bread.

karla

Old 12-18-2006, 07:38 PM

436 posts, read 522,885 times
Cheesesteaks? Tastycakes?

Thought we were talking about pizza.

Now you're making me hungry thinking about sliced steak being chopped/stirred around the sizzling griddle with the metal spatulas, and the provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, peppers, etc. Got to have that seasoned oil and vinegar dressing and the right kind of sub roll too. The ingredients must be sliced t-h-i-n. Sub shops outside the northeast rarely get it right, and even the best copies always seem to be missing something.

I've had people in other parts of the country try to put mayo and/or yellow mustard on their version of a Italian sub. The horror of it all.

Think of us when you're walking by the (Tastycake) Butterscotch Krimpets.

Last edited by brian_2; 12-18-2006 at 07:49 PM..

Old 12-18-2006, 09:29 PM

108 posts, read 644,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaryl2002 View Post
Life in a small southern town stinks. To anyone who is considering moving from a large city to a small Georgia town please read this post first. I live in one of those South Georgia town just across the Florida border. Listed below is what to expect from the Georgia lifestyle.
The purpose of my last post was to illustrate the values that we share in many small towns in the south and across our country. To someone living the big city life it’s all too easy to say life in a small town does stink. With vibrant Arts and entertainment districts, professional sport, first class restaurants and endless shopping choices many big city dwellers relish the notion that they are the envy of the world.

To small town America nothing could be further from the truth. To us the artwork on the windows at McDonalds is priceless. The school plays and little league ball games will fill scrapbooks and photo albums for generations to enjoy. Eating out among friends and neighbors only adds to the dinning experience.

There is a common thread that holds small towns together. It’s made with family, friend and community. Yes we do watch our neighbor’s house when they are out of town. We bring them food when they are sick. We take care of their children and treat them as if they are our own. It’s a bond we create because we take comfort in knowing that we have something special. It’s called southern hospitality.

To those who dream of living such a lifestyle I say “Welcome South brother”.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:47 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,963,939 times
lol brian
when you mention pizza it brings the other 2 foods i miss. my poor husband when ever we go home thats all he gets to eat
I do add diner visits in also
and I will eat some Butterscotch Krimpets just for you
and once we move there I can bring them for all to share

Old 12-19-2006, 04:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,886 times
Hi Guys,

I've been reading over the posts on the forum for the best few weeks and thought I'd drop in a comment.
I think every country has its "I wouldn't live there" attitiude.

Residing in the UK, you'll find the same attitude. We have it the other way though, in that the people from the south of England always regard the north areas as less affluent, which is partly true and untrue.

You may also ask why I come onto the forum, espcially as I'm from the UK. The fact is that one day I'd like to move to the states and due to my partner having family in Atlanta we've thought that would be an ideal place to look.

Also if you think the cost of living in the US is high, please plan a trip to the UK, it will open your eyes...

An example is for a 2 bedroom town house (we call them terraced houses), with no drive for your car, located just outside of Liverpool with a floor space of approx 550sq feet will cost you around the £115,000 ($218,500).

Anyway, drop me a line if you'd like to know more about life over the pond, and likewise if anyone would like to give info on Atlanta and surrounding areas.

Ta

Old 12-19-2006, 06:40 AM

2,819 posts, read 9,375,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_2 View Post
Cheesesteaks? Tastycakes?

Thought we were talking about pizza.

Now you're making me hungry thinking about sliced steak being chopped/stirred around the sizzling griddle with the metal spatulas, and the provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, peppers, etc. Got to have that seasoned oil and vinegar dressing and the right kind of sub roll too. The ingredients must be sliced t-h-i-n. Sub shops outside the northeast rarely get it right, and even the best copies always seem to be missing something.

I've had people in other parts of the country try to put mayo and/or yellow mustard on their version of a Italian sub. The horror of it all.

Think of us when you're walking by the (Tastycake) Butterscotch Krimpets.
Now you have been going to the wrong place in the NE. First a sub is something a bubblehead in the Navy rides around in. A HOGIE is the real name of the sammich
There is a place in Philadelphia off the beaten path. Not the Cheesewit tourist trap serving Steak'ms and Whiz, but a true hole in the wall Hogie place.
It is so cool, right off 4th and Arch where you get real steak, real chicken, and real meat. And yes, you can watch them fix your fix while they yell and cuss each other. Now that is Philly.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:43 AM

2,819 posts, read 9,375,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
lol brian
when you mention pizza it brings the other 2 foods i miss. my poor husband when ever we go home thats all he gets to eat
I do add diner visits in also
and I will eat some Butterscotch Krimpets just for you
and once we move there I can bring them for all to share
Now that would be Entenmann's Bakery with one of their many outlets.
Of course there is always Calendra's bakery in NE NJ.
Ohhh the fat, butter, and fat with butter...Mmmmmm

Old 12-20-2006, 08:32 AM

436 posts, read 522,885 times
"You'll just be living in a bigger house in the middle of nowhere in the suburbs which are lifeless and you'll be wishing every single day that you could go back home."

I can really relate to your sentiments. I've done the CA/PA/GA/FL/NY/CA/NY/AZ cycle. That said, people are different. Sometimes transplants have to survive the 'two-year hump' to acclimate to a new place. Some people just can't cope with another environment that is so different, they really don't acclimate (or want to). Some folks like the new environs. Go figure.

NY is unique. I lived on the upper east in a shoebox, and I had a small home in the Catskills outside Woodstock. Even though Woodstock is light years away from citylife, I still felt 'connected' in either place. We had plenty of people who knew the city in the country (and vice versa). Being in CA/FL/GA/AZ - I never felt/feel that connection. Even though I was born in CA, I've never felt a connection to a place like I did in NY and the people, places and lifestyle there. It's really strange, but that's how I feel about it. I visit the city and the Mid-Hudson Valley when I can, but I wish I could afford a small home back there to live part of the year. OK, I admit I love visiting Big Sur in CA (its a California that is all but gone). For me (where I live now) Arizona is a 'sort of purgatory', although there are beautiful places like Canyon De Chey/Grand Canyon/White Mountain towns, ect., AZ is still a core of 'deadness' overall, but I'm making the best of it. For now.
I lived in Roswell, GA pre-Olympics (when immigrants poured across the border to work Olympic construction in Atlanta because that's what the builders wanted, cheap labor, and ever since then Fulton County residents have complained because of all the Mexicans - H-E-L-L-O). I didn't like it much then, and like it less now (and no, not because of increases in immigration).

Who's going to care for all these aging boomers in the outlying suburbs as they can no longer drive? No train or subway in sight. Try hailing a taxi in Canton. I wouldn't be surprised to see that the Spanish speaking caretakers they bad mouth (much as the old Georgians who've passed away bad mouthed Black Americans) are the ones changing their bedpan (not to suggest that only Black and Spanish-speaking employees work these more menial, but important, jobs). That said, Georgia has become much more (thank goodness) varied ethnically and culturally in population. That's a good thing.

My story is not complete just yet, and I suspect yours isn't either. Plan, prepare and move on when the time is right.

Last edited by brian_2; 12-20-2006 at 09:13 AM..

Old 12-20-2006, 02:47 PM

14 posts, read 40,881 times
Default Good pizza in Metro Atlanta

LaBella's New York-style pizza (in Marietta off Sandy Plains Road, near Piedmont Road) has some great pizza. It is right near Sprayberry High School. Now if somebody could tell me where to find some decent Chinese food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia