U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 08:23 AM

431 posts, read 1,977,524 times

Advertisements

In the past few years, there seems to be a mass exodus of folks moving from NY, NJ, CT, MA and going down south. Why? Mostly because of the high cost of living in the north. I am from NYC, lived in Florida in 2004-2005 and now in Atlanta. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I would love to go back home to NYC. It is so different down here, you would not imagine. Visiting for a week will not give you any real insight as to what it's really like. Don't get wide eyed looking at new homes that you could never afford in the north. There's a reason why the cost of living is more expensive in the north. It's just better to live up there. Yeah i've done the whole working two jobs just to get by in NY and I thought I was sick and tired of the rat race. But guess what? I'd do it all over again. And don't think for a minute that you will escape the rat race. You won't. You'll just be living in a bigger house in the middle of nowhere in the suburbs which are lifeless and you'll be wishing every single day that you could go back home.
The only thing better about Atlanta than the north is the weather (can't say the same about Florida). Even so, I still miss the snow. And to think that I used to complain about winters. Christmas is just not the same in the South.
I even got my real estate license in GA and I see so many people relocating here and I feel sorry for them because I know that most likely within the first year, they are going to hate living here. I'd rather live in a shoebox in NYC than a mansion in the South. And you won't even get a mansion but you'll feel like you hit the lottery when you go visit the new construction homesites. Think about it before you move.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:05 PM

66 posts, read 320,836 times
I Move To Central Fl Fromthe North 15 Yrs Ago . I Missed Somethings About The North But I Had A Real Good Life In Fl, New I'm Heading To Ga Or S.c. Due To A Change Sorry Your Not Happy Where Your At .if Your That Unhappy For Gosh Sake Go Back Even If You Rent It's Better To Be Happy Were In Our Late 50's Were Looking In To An Active Aduld Place In Canton And Lake Lanair . Well Good Luck And For Gosh Sake Go Home .

Old 10-22-2006, 12:55 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,226,890 times
I'm surprised "the war" hasn't begun yet over that post. LOL... people must be sleeping in this weekend. ;-) Good luck... once Billy Joe Bob and Darla Sue Mae read that, there's gonna be some riled up folks puttin' together a hootenannie (or whatever) to get rid of you.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:19 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,961,812 times
"once Billy Joe Bob and Darla Sue Mae read that, there's gonna be some riled up folks puttin' together a hootenannie (or whatever) to get rid of you"

lol Greg you want to come clean the diet pepsi that spewed on my screen when I read that.
Some people are just not happy anywhere.If you read the OP other posts he hasn't been happy anywhere he has lived. He just needs to "go back to NY"
When I moved to NE FL 14 years ago from NJ sure things were different. When you move to a different area there are going to be changes. It is up to the person to either embrace the changes or fight them.
When I first posted that we were looking to move to Atlanta all I heard was "traffic omg the traffic" We decided that yes, there is going to be traffic and we found a place that my husband said " I may have to deal with some traffic but knowing I am coming home to a house I love and a loving wife(he got major points for that) he can deal with it.
Now I get to hear the "the housing market is so bad you will never sell your current house"
We have decided the same attitude, we refuse to let this ruin our excitment, I am not going to worry myself sick for the next 4 months while our new house is being built that "we won't be able to sell"
We are going to do what we can It is a great house in a great location. We will price it at a good price and not be greedy. Someone is going to get a heck of a deal. I think it would be great if it turns out that our "non greedy pricing" means a family will move in that will love our house and my gardens as much as we do. I am willing to weigh that against $15k extra profit.
Life is to short to be miserable, not to mention it's hard work being so unhappy
Karla

Old 10-22-2006, 05:30 AM

894 posts, read 3,968,338 times
I just read Greg's post and spit out my coffee! I love laughing like that first thing in the morning!

[/QUOTE}Life is to short to be miserable, not to mention it's hard work being so unhappy
Karla[/quote]

well said!

Old 10-22-2006, 07:13 AM

431 posts, read 1,977,524 times
I wish I could go back home but I have a child in high school now and I promised myself and him that we would stay put until he graduates. Sometimes as a parent, you have to do what's in your child's best interest. In this case, some stability. But you better believe that as soon as he is off to college, I am out of the South for good!

Old 10-22-2006, 07:15 AM

894 posts, read 3,968,338 times
Good luck to you then!

Old 10-22-2006, 07:23 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,473,503 times
Firstly, NY, sorry to hear of your experiences. You do sound very homesick & as Baily/Ready said, go home where you'll be happy. I don't know what you left behind in NY (family, friends, lifestyle)? But, if it made you that fulfilled, well then you deserve to be there, happy & healthy. But, make the best of your situation now, as you'll only take your dissatisfaction with you, no matter where you go. Best of luck to you.

Agree with the others, Greg! Made me drop my laptop, I laughed so hard. Glad I was sitting on my yoga mat on the floor. In the future, when holding expensive objects, I'll be skipping your posts! When mouth is full of Starbucks, I'll be skipping your posts! <The little blonde girl goes to the closet for duct tape, to glue her very expensive laptop onto a very low bench...>

And, Karla, well said with everything & you do sound very well adjusted in your desires to sell your house. I'm sure you will have very happy buyers & I wish you much luck. By the way, rush hour traffic in Atlanta is like any other large city I've lived (Boston, L.A., Seattle). As you already realize, it depends on where you live in the city, how far you'll commute each day, etc. Truth be told, Boston is the worst traffic I've encountered (even though it's smaller than L.A./Atlanta), mainly as the roads are not equipped to deal with the volume of cars & of course, I've had to drive in the heart of the bulk of traffic. Atlanta's beautiful, clean, slower paced (surprising for a city of it's size) & I wanted to be there so much, I just fell in love with it immediately. Stayed for 6-ish years then was offered a job in Seattle & off I went - to another breathtaking city. I'd return to either in a heartbeat.

I agree with you. You find what you think you will find. I have a reason to be back in Boston now (renovating a house) & although it's not my favorite city, I'm not miserable here. I am, however, looking forward to moving away again. How lucky we all are to live in a country where we can change what we don't find optimal for something better. And, should that not be the best, we can do it again & again...

Have fun everyone... Baltic_Celt

Old 10-22-2006, 09:08 AM

29 posts, read 190,518 times
Another NYer here who moved South, but we do like it here - altho we miss many things about NYC we wouldn't go back unless we hit lotto

You are absolutely right - 1 week or a quick visit isn't long enough to decide whether or not to move anywhere. Some things you can only get a feel for by experiencing. I think some who move here from the North only research homes & jobs, but not the overall picture - like the slower/different lifestyle. Atlanta has a reputation of being like NY or Philly (minus the high cost of living & housing prices) but it's not ... I know a few who went back because they weren't ready for the lifestyle changes - but those people were younger, in their 20s. And you can't judge all the extra expenses it costs to live in the South on a week's visit. Like now we MUST maintain 2 cars, whereas in NYC we didn't even need 1 car & we really only used the one we had on weekends so maintenance was practically nonexistent.

One thing that really bothers me here is there are few opportunities (in my line of work) if I need OT. Yeah I could get a 2nd job but thankfully I'm not that desperate yet! Professionals (& the company in general) in my line of work make the same money that my NY company did, if not more, but they don't pass any of their profits onto their employees in the form of decent raises or bonuses here.

We moved to ATL because DH wanted to still experience the changing of seasons .. my first choice was Phoenix! But so far so good here ... & a big part of the reason I conceded to move here was due to milder weather, which was my primary concern when leaving NYC. I'm one that doesn't miss the snow & cold winters. Haven't worn my shearlin since we left & I don't miss it I'll always love NY but aside from family & friends, broadway shows, shopping & some restaurants/eateries (ESPECIALLY just getting a GOOD slice of pizza!), don't necessarily miss the rat race. Making ends meet is a lot tighter here though I will admit. But if you really are unhappy here, life is entirely too short for that. If you want out, you should definitely go home. You'll be hard pressed to find a NYC lifestyle anywhere else. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2006, 09:42 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,961,812 times
I think had I moved directly to Atlanta from NJ is would of been even more of an adjustment. Believe me I was quite the "jersery girl" when I moved to Jax, I was in my early 30's and single I couldn't grasp the fact that people went out at 7pm and would come home just when I was use to going out. It was a rough first 6 months. I would get impaitent waiting in line at the checkout thinking to myself "whats with the whole conversation thing, just pay already"
Well needless to say I slowed down,"mellowed out" and can y'all with the best of them (granted at times it may have a slight jersey flavor.)
and yes I have conversations in the checkout lines
My husband jokes that once we move to Cumming I will probably spend more time looking for good pizza and bagels than worrying about getting the house unpacked. lol a good "jersery girl" knows whats important
From what I can tell there are quite a few of us reloacted Jersey and NY folks
as I think someone suggested maybe we could have a "tips topic section" on where to find good pizza, deli and bagels or yeah and cheese steaks
Once we move in y'all are welomce to our house for a real "yankee" housewarming
Karla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia