Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,767 times

Advertisements

Here is a little info about my family. Originally from Kenya. We have lived in Michigan for the past twenty years. We have little one's 11, 4 & 14 months. Definitely leaving a good paying job and comfort to pursue the warm weather in Georgia which is almost similar to the climate we left back in Kenya. My husband and I have been searching and we are narrowing it down to Alpharetta, Canton, Hiram and Dallas area. I'm in the health care field while my husband is in computer business so we hope sooner or later we will land some job as we are hardworking individuals. We are going to use our savings to make this move. The most important consideration for us is a quiet place where we can wind down and raise a family quietly. I have read previous post about racism and all that....but to me those are things that can easily be ignored...you meet ignorant people everywhere. The main thing is to avoid them and have limit association. We just want to make sure the school district that we are moving to my kids can excel as they are coming from an excellent school district in MI. Also need info on preschool for my 14 month old...cost, locations pros and cons my 4 year old started private preschool at 2years and I can't tell you what a difference it has made in his life. One more thing non denominational churches.....we are highly involved in church.. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 06:29 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
First thing you need to do is find employment, then start looking for where to live.

There are alot of computer related jobs in Alpharetta area, but you can not Commute to them from Hiram/Dallas area. I'm sure you have seen from other posts traffic is bad, and 30 miles on mapquest can take 90 mins or so to drive during rushhours.

There are churches on every other corner, i'm sure you will find one you like. North Fulton, Forsyth, Cherokee school are very good, Don't know about the school out in Hiram/Dallas area

Old 02-09-2014, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,767 times
Thanks for your feedback flyonpa. I'm not so worried about jobs as much as the location. As I mentioned I'm in the healthcare field, I have had a few job offers hubby is a different story. I'm looking for anyone with any info on this areas. I seriously have to get out of MI especially after experiencing so much cold weather and snow this year. It has been depressing

Old 02-11-2014, 08:06 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
First thing you need to do is find employment, then start looking for where to live.

There are alot of computer related jobs in Alpharetta area, but you can not Commute to them from Hiram/Dallas area. I'm sure you have seen from other posts traffic is bad, and 30 miles on mapquest can take 90 mins or so to drive during rushhours.

There are churches on every other corner, i'm sure you will find one you like. North Fulton, Forsyth, Cherokee school are very good, Don't know about the school out in Hiram/Dallas area
This is good advice as you should definitely find employment FIRST before moving to the Atlanta metro area and/or North Georgia where the job market is still somewhat very-soft in the aftermath of one of the worst economic downturns in American history...an economic downturn which hit the Atlanta metro region and North Georgia particularly hard.

Get hired to jobs in Georgia first, THEN move to Georgia.

...This is because you do not want to end up exhausting your savings if you cannot quickly find employment in a still-struggling Atlanta metro area job market where many highly-skilled people have been out-of-work for and extended period of time and remain out-of-work.

Also, don't get fixated or infatuated with one particular area.

Be willing to take a good and/or high-paying job wherever it may present itself and then search for someplace to live in an area of good schools that is within a relatively-close distance of where you will be working.

...That's because traffic is *BAD* in the Atlanta metro region (particularly during morning and evening rush hours and even on weekends during peak hours) and because excellent schools can be found in all parts of the Atlanta metro region, NOT just areas like Hiram, Dallas, Canton and Alpharetta.

Good schools can be found relatively-close to wherever you may find a job in the Atlanta metro region or North Georgia.

In short, stay in Michigan, and find a job in Georgia while still living in Michigan, get hired to a job in Georgia and THEN, and only THEN, should you move to the Atlanta metro area, AFTER first getting hired to a good decent-paying job ANYWHERE in North Georgia or Metro Atlanta.

Good luck on your job search. After you get hired to a job, come back and start a new thread in the Atlanta Forum, where there is more traffic and we will help you find a place to live in an area of good schools relatively close to your new jobs.

Again, good luck!

Born 2 Roll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia