U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 04:31 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,862,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Another Northerner lecturing us on how we drive in ice and snow. How very novel.
Yes, people here get tired of hearing it. I get that...BUT...someone once said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

Here is the anatomy of this winter storm in Atlanta:

1) A week or so in advance, the media begin to hype that winter weather could be coming

2) A few days before, the media ramp up their coverage and long range apocalyptic projections

3) A couple of days before, the politicians join in and urge everyone to stay off the roads and to buy milk and bread. They warn everyone to have a flashlight and batteries and to buy silly gadgets that no one really needs like snow chains or foam covers for outside spigots.

4) The day before...everyone starts to issue closings and the media and politicians step up the hype. We hear how this storm will be "catastrophic" and we'll get "heavy snow" (that totals less than 4" of accumulations) and ice will be "crippling" or worse.

5) The day of the apocalypse....we get high 30's and rain. The media warns us to not let our guard down...the apocalypse is coming.

6) Day 2 of the end of the world as we know it..."record ice storm" and "catastrophic power outages that could last for days" are predicted. Up to 5" inches of snow for the metro area predicted. Could be carnage on the roads. Everyone closes yet again.

7) Day 3...the snow stops. The sun comes out and melting begins. Some trees did come down and some people had power outages. Most people got a couple of inches of snow and a coating of ice or sleet. Some people got a little worse ice but major and widespread power outages didn't happen.

My point here is that much of the pain is self inflicted. People who are used to dealing with a foot, or two feet of snow in a storm see the hype and panic and do laugh a little. "We're not used to it" is a cop out because this stuff happens here all the time. The state and counties make a choice not to be adequately prepared, and people make a choice not to know what to do, and to freak out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 12:26 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,269,069 times
There is a difference though when a location receives numerous winter weather storms including up to a foot and beyond of snow and ice at various times compared to another location that may receive 2-4 inches of snow and the sporadic ice storm here and there once or twice every other year (AND the fact that it will probably be gone in a day or two).

"We're not used to it" is, in a way, a cop out, but it is also pretty accurate. Even those in northern states struggle when the season's first accumulating snow occurs. It takes re-familiarizing yourself with those winter weather driving habits.

As for the "if you don't like it, go home" attitudes I hear in response, it's a very dumb, immature one considering we're all really immigrants with the exception of the Native Americans. So, your family has been on this side of the Mason/Dixon for a few more generations than your newly transplanted neighbor. You think you know more than him in regards to winter weather? Stupid southerner, shut up and hear them out. You could probably learn something that makes your life easier. (Speaking generally and not towards anyone in particular.. as a fellow southerner myself)

Old 02-14-2014, 10:24 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,147,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
As for the "if you don't like it, go home" attitudes I hear in response, it's a very dumb, immature one considering we're all really immigrants with the exception of the Native Americans.
Well, this seems directed at me so I'll reply. Careful with your assumptions, you know that it makes an asss out of people. I was born and raised in Wyoming, learned to drive there, have seen storms that dropped 4~5 FEET in a couple days. I'm currently spending 2 months in Montana, driving up to a ski hill ~5 days a week on roads that are completely covered in snow and here recently, ice... the only reason I live in GA is because my wife is from there and wanted to be near her family.

Someone who complains about it being better or different "back home" needs to move back there ASAP since it was so much better. It's either that or accept the way things are where you are and stop comparing/complaining ~ but the people who are vocalizing in the first place are generally not the type of quality-character people who can learn. I've watched this kind of poor attitude my whole life, those people who complain are the one bad apple that ruin things for everyone else.

And BTW, even the native americans (they really don't care if you call them indians BTW, grew up 5 miles from a reservation, it's still a 'politically correct' term) immigrated across the frozen Bering Straight. As far as history/science knows, there were no humanoids in North America before that.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Someone who complains about it being better or different "back home" needs to move back there ASAP since it was so much better. It's either that or accept the way things are where you are and stop comparing/complaining ~ but the people who are vocalizing in the first place are generally not the type of quality-character people who can learn. I've watched this kind of poor attitude my whole life, those people who complain are the one bad apple that ruin things for everyone else.
I can only speak for myself, and in my view your comment is complete and utter BS.

When you see something that can be done better or that needs improvement, speaking out is what needs to be done. I'm not going to accept stupidity or bad planning because "that's how we've always done it here" or whatever it is you believe. Sorry that the truth makes you uncomfortable.

My home is here, and that's why it's upsetting to see this place and the people who live here act so ridiculously, led by a local media who just can't wait to stir up the hype and hyperbole.

As for "quality character"...if you want to start into personalities and get into character...then it says more about you than anyone else. Your whole "love it or leave it" attitude is something I can't stomach. Lots of people said that back in the 1950s and 1960s here. All those interfering Yankees trying to get in the middle of race relations in the south. Why didn't they just mind their own business, right?

Old 02-16-2014, 04:19 PM

677 posts, read 961,129 times

Snow, Atlanta v. NewYork (Reaction) - YouTube

Old 02-16-2014, 04:21 PM

They aren't used to any snow
so when it falls
they take it waay to serious
Dusting=Snow
Snow= a Blizzard
blizzard=
END of the world

Old 02-16-2014, 04:22 PM

35,120 posts, read 40,086,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJohnny View Post
2 or 3 inches is NOTHING. In New York people go to work, school, the world doesn't stop just because of a little snow. Unfortunately it does here. The streets in this state are stupidly design like a car racing track with so many unnecessary curved streets with dead ends. Who the hell designed this place? Plus the hills and ditches and the slow response of the road department to clean the streets. 3 inches of snow... that's not a snow storm. 18 inches of snow is. That's a real snow storm. I saw more accidents caused by snow just in my subdivision than I ever seen in New York and that's 21 years. That's embarrassing. The whole Northeast is laughing at your state.

Are you aware of the fact that you are not posting in the "New York" forum hence the reason it has the title of "Georgia".
If you are that impressed with New York then go back there and quit complaining how things are done in a different part of the country.

PS ~~ Most of those reading your post are laughing at your post simply because there is no real comparision of New York and Georgia weather wise.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:51 PM
PJA

2,386 posts, read 2,473,633 times
I'm tired of folks saying the south is over reacting. I still have relatives who have no power and the storm was days ago. A lot of people even lost water for part of the day. This wasn't just some dusting or a little snow. This was an ice STORM that has had severe effects.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
I'm tired of folks saying the south is over reacting. I still have relatives who have no power and the storm was days ago. A lot of people even lost water for part of the day. This wasn't just some dusting or a little snow. This was an ice STORM that has had severe effects.
Sorry that you had family impacted, but that was a pretty isolated circumstance. The majority of people in the area were unaffected beyond being stuck at home.

The contrast that I would draw is an ice storm in Massachusetts we suffered a couple of years before we moved to Georgia. We got hit by a lot of ice with wet snow on top of the ice. A power pole snapped and took out the power. It took a while to get it back. I don't recall CNN showing up or the local media doing a 24x7 live shot. It was winter. We dealt with it.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Yeah people get affected way worst
power and water
thats to be considered very lucky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia