Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 12:28 AM

76 posts, read 122,960 times

Advertisements

Hi:
We will be retiring soon and have been researching Peachtree City GA along with other areas as well. We just recently read about Peachtree in the forums and online. My husband has classic cars and likes to work on them. Would that be a problem in Peachtree City? T I didn't know if the ordinances within the master planned community would allow for such things so wanted to ask first. I looked at ordinances online but didn't see anything specifying rules regarding this. He would also like to build an additional garage on the property as he likes to keep the cars inside . Are their strict ordinances regarding building such a structure in Peachtree City? If ordinances wouldn't allow and if you live in GA what area would be good for us that is low crime but near amenities such as a good hospital, shopping? We also like to walk so somewhere where there is nice walking trails. Does the Marta go to Peach Tree city? Thanks for all advice and suggestions. Our price range we can afford for a home would be a maximum of $300,000. Also does the county that Peachtree City is in give retiree property tax exemptions?

Last edited by SmokeyCat; 09-11-2016 at 12:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 04:42 PM

761 posts, read 907,514 times
Peachtree City is a great place to retire. It's a very safe and friendly community, and the golf cart paths are easy to navigate for walkers, runners, bikers, and of course golf carts. The do allow some property tax exemptions. I've attached the link from the Fayette County Tax commissioner's office. The zoning ordinances are onerous in Peachtree City, but I think they do allow for the addition of a garage, but most neighborhoods are in HOA's that may have their own guidelines. Also, the average price right now is around 441K, and most lots in PTC are on less than 1/2 acre and many are on less than 1/8 of an acre, so you may have a difficult time finding a lot that will fit a garage addition.

Also, Marta doesn't go to PTC and probably never will. The area is very affluent, Republican, and conservative, and most residents do not want MARTA anywhere near Peachtree City or Fayette County.

As for a home, there are several 55+ neighborhoods in PTC on smaller lots. The homes in those neighborhoods usually run around 250-350K and sell within a day or two.

Fayette County Tax Commissioner

Old 09-13-2016, 03:22 PM

Thanks so much for the info. As lovely as Peachtree City sounds it may not be conducive to an additional garage as you mentioned due to lot size. I didn't realize the prices in the community so thank you for that information as well and also the Fayette County tax site. I can understand why the Marta would not be popular. Do you have any suggestions for any of the other cities just outside Peachtree that my have bigger lot sizes? Went to FBI statistics for crime on various cities within GA and wanted to find somewhere that has good law enforcement and even though crime is inevitable everywhere trying to find a location that neighbors watch out for eachother and good police patrol.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:01 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Sharpsburg and Senoia in eastern Coweta County just across the county line from Peachtree City / Fayette County should have plenty of options in your price range, larger lots and less strict building codes to allow for an additional garage. You may also consider unincorporated Fayette County south and east of PTC which has larger lot minimums and is popular with folks seeking "mini estates"'and farms, but price is going to become an issue. Generally across the board, home / land prices in Fayette County are significantly higher than anywhere in Coweta County, though of course there are always exceptions. You just have to search.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the info. We will check out the areas you mentioned outside of Peachtree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Sharpsburg and Senoia in eastern Coweta County just across the county line from Peachtree City / Fayette County should have plenty of options in your price range, larger lots and less strict building codes to allow for an additional garage. You may also consider unincorporated Fayette County south and east of PTC which has larger lot minimums and is popular with folks seeking "mini estates"'and farms, but price is going to become an issue. Generally across the board, home / land prices in Fayette County are significantly higher than anywhere in Coweta County, though of course there are always exceptions. You just have to search.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:22 AM

38 posts, read 109,188 times
We are currently moving out of Peachtree City, GA. I would consider Senoia; it is not the great place people say it is. There are good things but the police dept is corrupt and there is a lot of things that go on that is hidden. Lots of suicides at least one every year we lived there. Although people seem nice they are very cliqish and I do think it is a better place for retirees than young families like ours. Attorney's make good income on the actions of the corrupt police dept who's previous chief shot his wife.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:55 AM

Wow that is really really sad about the suicide rate. We will look into Senoia. Thanks for the info/advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgb6 View Post
We are currently moving out of Peachtree City, GA. I would consider Senoia; it is not the great place people say it is. There are good things but the police dept is corrupt and there is a lot of things that go on that is hidden. Lots of suicides at least one every year we lived there. Although people seem nice they are very cliqish and I do think it is a better place for retirees than young families like ours. Attorney's make good income on the actions of the corrupt police dept who's previous chief shot his wife.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:52 AM

761 posts, read 907,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgb6 View Post

Suicides are always sad and they deal with suicides in Coweta too. I don't believe the suicide rate is any higher in Peachtree City than any other affluent area of 36,000 people. Also, the new police chief Janet Moon is awesome.

My family and I couldn't be happier with the people and lifestyle in Peachtree City. Our neighborhood is loaded with kids. We have over 100 kids on our neighborhood summer swim team.

Here are some stats we looked at before our move.

Peachtree City:
Top 100 Safest Cities in the Nation, 2014 (Neighborhood Scout)
Georgia’s Best Place to Raise Kids 2013, -Business Week, 2012
Top 100 Best Places to Live in the US, CNN/Money Magazine, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 (Top 10 in 2005 & 2008)
Top 10 Cities for Families, Family Circle Magazine, 2011
Top 6 Most Patriotic Cities, Rand McNally/USA Today 2011
Most Airport Friendly Atlanta City, KNOW Atlanta Magazine, 2010
Top 100 Places to Live, RelocateAmerica.com, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
Georgia’s Best Affordable Suburb, BusinessWeek, 2009
Top 10 Places to Retire, Retire in Georgia Magazine, 2008
10 Great Places for Boomers, Newsmax Magazine, 2009

Fayette County:
Population (2012): 107,524
Demographics (2012):
73% White, 21% Black, 4% Asian, 7% Hispanic
Median Income (2006-2010): $82,216
(Income rank #2 in GA, #33 in Nation)
Median Family Income (2011): $91,000 (rank #2)
Bachelor Degree: 42%, #2 in GA
Rated Georgia’s #1 Healthiest county
(2010, 2011, 2012, #2 in 2013)

Old 10-07-2016, 01:11 PM

You did good homework! I am so glad you are happy living in peachtree! It is good to know the new police chief is so good. Like you said suicides are so sad for the family and friends dealing with the grief. We will have to make a point to visit Peachtree . Thanks again for your comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Suicides are always sad and they deal with suicides in Coweta too. I don't believe the suicide rate is any higher in Peachtree City than any other affluent area of 36,000 people. Also, the new police chief Janet Moon is awesome.

My family and I couldn't be happier with the people and lifestyle in Peachtree City. Our neighborhood is loaded with kids. We have over 100 kids on our neighborhood summer swim team.

Here are some stats we looked at before our move.

Peachtree City:
Top 100 Safest Cities in the Nation, 2014 (Neighborhood Scout)
Georgia’s Best Place to Raise Kids 2013, -Business Week, 2012
Top 100 Best Places to Live in the US, CNN/Money Magazine, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 (Top 10 in 2005 & 2008)
Top 10 Cities for Families, Family Circle Magazine, 2011
Top 6 Most Patriotic Cities, Rand McNally/USA Today 2011
Most Airport Friendly Atlanta City, KNOW Atlanta Magazine, 2010
Top 100 Places to Live, RelocateAmerica.com, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
Georgia’s Best Affordable Suburb, BusinessWeek, 2009
Top 10 Places to Retire, Retire in Georgia Magazine, 2008
10 Great Places for Boomers, Newsmax Magazine, 2009

Fayette County:
Population (2012): 107,524
Demographics (2012):
73% White, 21% Black, 4% Asian, 7% Hispanic
Median Income (2006-2010): $82,216
(Income rank #2 in GA, #33 in Nation)
Median Family Income (2011): $91,000 (rank #2)
Bachelor Degree: 42%, #2 in GA
Rated Georgia’s #1 Healthiest county
(2010, 2011, 2012, #2 in 2013)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia