U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 12:28 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 1,977,305 times

Advertisements

This is going no where. Those low ranking companies are having an outstanding year and the return on my money is great. Not only that, but the money they pump into this city and this entire area is a testament of great civic pride. The last time I checked (using the FBI census statistics Columbus the city is still growing 191,221 and counting). Chatham County growth is largely due to white flight in Savannah and retired people. Savannah is losing population just like Macon and Augusta. With only 9,000 people having jobs at Fort Benning, I doubt this city will dry up and cease to exist, on the contrary there is ample enough employment in the area to keep the city going. Case in point, when all the cotton mills shut down and more than 10,000 jobs we lost, Columbus survived, it literally re-invented itself from a blue collar town to a white collar one. There is a lot more to this city than Fort Benning. Bye the way, all retirees are welcome here and we have plenty to offer. Civic Pride!! and one other thing, WAR EAGLE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 12:09 AM

177 posts, read 897,079 times
IMHO, it's not whether Columbus or Warner Robbins is bigger or better, just a matter of personal preference.

Much of Warner Robbins appears to be in the middle of active development. There are lots of major chain stores and restaurants in nice strip malls with easy access. Warner Robbins also has a REALLY great airplane museum, which I believe is adding a new exhibition hall. While shopping and eating out in Warner Robbins, I've often seen LOTS of folks in military uniforms, so the military presence seems to be a big part of Warner Robbins. (And, coming from a military family, I found it touching to see military families out shopping together on my last visit). I don't know anything about the medical situation in Warner Robbins but Macon has several hospitals and at least one of them is supposed to be excellent.

In my experience, Columbus is quite different. It seems to me to have more of a downtown. I've been there for events such as vintage car races. The historic area of Columbus in very impressive and actually one of the largest I've seen. These historic houses are probably expensive but I did notice on several visits (not recently) that there are a number of more modest historic and vintage houses just across the river, just BEGGING to be fixed up. I find the area along the river in Columbus to be very attractive and think the one of the houses just across the river (on the Alabama side) would make a wonderful place to live or possibly even a great investment. However, I was not impressed with Phenix City. There appear to be new developments in Columbus as well. Medical care in Columbus is supposed to be excellent, there is a lot of information on line about the various hospitals. The range of specialities in Columbus is astounding to me. I believe there is a state college (or part of one) in downtown Columbus. There is also a nice enclosed mall in Columbus.

So, IMHO if the choice were between Warner Robbins and Columbus I would suggest that if you like a lifestyle that is really contemporary, a definite military "feel", and like access to a lot of drive by shopping, then Warner Robbins might be your cup of tea. In contrast, if you like a more historic feel, the definite presence of a river and like to wander around in a downtown or in an historic area then Columbus might be more appealing to you.

zebbie

Old 09-03-2007, 07:08 AM

511 posts, read 2,283,089 times
You can also get the historic feel, definite presence of a river, and like to ander around in a dowtown historic area then Warner Robins is you place, because like many citizens of Warner Robins who take that 20 minute drive to Downtown Macon, enjoy all of those things.

Way to go Macon Music for making it to the playoffs on your first year, we hope next year is even greater, and that the City of Macon will someday renovate historic Luther Williams Field.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:50 AM
JLA

deja-zebie, your description of Columbus is correct. The state university downtown is Columbus State University, it is an excellent school. It is refreshing to see college students downtown. What was once a decaying eye sore has become very attractive and vibrant downtown area. As a solute to our Army community, Columbus is currently building a Museum. One of the other things people seem to like about Columbus is the vast amount of shopping, dining and entertainment. I would have to admit it is not all located in the same place, but Columbus is quite a bit larger than Warner Robins and Macon.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:26 PM

105 posts, read 479,974 times
What is the Macon Music? A baseball team?

Anyway I agree with you zebbie about Phenix City. I think that they are trying to do a few things on the riverfront in Phenix City. When you cross the 13th Street bridge going to Alabama. It does look like you are going back in time. But if you cross it going back into Georgia, it is more modernized.

There are loads of military retirees and there families living in Columbus. For some reason they far in love with the place and choose to stay there.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by roamfree; 09-03-2007 at 12:36 PM..

Old 09-04-2007, 01:25 PM

177 posts, read 897,079 times
Well, it has been a couple of years since I've visited the Columbus area. At one time my husband and I were considering getting a second home there to use when he retires (I took an early retirement). Unfortunately, we concluded that Columbus proved to be too far for us to even maintain a second home until his retirement time. One of the things that we like is the way the river front area was restored. It's not junked up or commercialized as we've seen in other areas of the country.

We live in a small rural town and Macon is "our" City. So, I can and do appreciate many of the things that Macon has to offer. The City is beautiful during the Cherry Blossom festival and in five years I've seen a LOT of improvement to the downtown area. And, I've also seen a lot of old junky buildings (like old gas stations) torn down. We've had friends that have move to DOWNTOWN Macon because of the improvements.

One thing I had wondered is (and it might be pertinent to the gentlement who is asking about acquiring land or a home near a base) is whether it would be financially advantageous to live on the Alabama side of the river, since it's so close to downtown Columbus with all the amenities. Certainly the view of the river is appealing and that large historic district on the Columbus side is directly across from Phenix City. And, yes, it appears (even a couple of years ago) that directly across one of those bridges on the Alabama side that there some new buildings have been constructed. I think one of them was a court house or something like that.

I figured at the time that one could live on the Alabama side and even get to downtown Columbus by golf cart as the bridge I'm familiar with is not long.

I guess if I were considering a move to an area in Georgia I'd check crime stats. First I'd check on city-data, then see if I could find more specific crime stats for a particular area (narrowing the search to a part of the city or county). Also lots of newspapers are online now and if the gentleman has a couple of possibilities he could also check out newspapers in those areas.

Since the original questionner had mentioned acerage, there is always the (Georgia) Consumer and Market Bulletin. Subscriptions are free of charge and I believe it's available on-line, but don't have the address. Land is always listed, but also there are special editiions (I think at least a couple of times a year) which specialize in land. Only PRIVATE land sales are allowed (no real estate agents or things like that).

We moved to Georgia from the West a little over 5 years ago and have been annonying our friends back "home" by patting ourselves on the back ever since. We were fortunate to find a smallish historic house (3 bedroom) in GOOD SHAPE on 1/2 acre in an historic district for $72,500. Course we needed to upgrade electricity, and add a/c, etc. It IS possible to find reasonably priced housing in Georgia.

Good luck on the search
zebbie

Old 09-04-2007, 05:31 PM

I love Macon from the bottom of my heart but this past month has been really rough for the city, before August the city was just great, but August was rough, and I hope thats the last of it.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:34 PM

Also Macon Music is a baseball team, and we happen to beat Columbus several times this year. Its really great to go to there games, the area has really missed baseball, and that is shown when the seats fill up during there home games.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:27 PM
JLA

deja-zebbie, the cost of housing is cheaper in AL. Lee and Russel Counties in AL are growing rapidly because it is cheaper to live in AL and work in Columbus. Phenix City is trying with the help of Columbus to improve their side of the river. There should be condos built over there soon. I have been spending some time in Savannah this week. In my opinion the cleaner uncluttered river front of Columbus is much more appealing for normal living. The river walk is kept clean and is monitored by the city police on bicycles. Savannah's river front (Bay and River Streets) reminds me of a County Fair. Any way if you are looking for more bang for the buck, then AL is your best choice if you are retired, the land and taxes are cheaper, but the amenities are few (you get what you pay for).

Old 09-04-2007, 08:28 PM
JLA

What ever happened to the Macon Whoopees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or