U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:40 PM

18 posts, read 62,226 times

Advertisements

Hi, can anyone give me an honest breakdown of the good, bad and ugly? Online I'm not finding much that is encouraging as far as poverty, crime, economy but my husband who visited Cordele recently insists that the town is in much better shape than the info I've found online.

We have small children so I am concerned about crime and the school system. Any other perks or downsides to living there that I need to know about?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 10:14 PM

634 posts, read 2,178,802 times
Seems like a fairly progressive town to me...
Compared to the towns around the area.

There seemed to be a lot of restaurants and stores for its size too.
It only has about 11,000 people and seemed to have enough stores for 30,000 people.

Lake Blackshear nearby is gorgeous and they have a fish restaurant nearby.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:21 PM

Is the area in general run down and decaying, or on the upswing? Are there any towns within a 10-20 mile radius that are better?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:33 PM

55 posts, read 246,762 times
Default The Lake Blackshear area is nice

I drive through Cordele occasionally, but have never spent much time there. The area near Lake Blackshear and the Georgia Veterans State Park and golf course is the nicer area. It is about ten miles west of Cordele. I am sure there are a lot of good houses in this area and crime would not be a problem.

Otherwise, Cordele is a small farm town that benefits from having the Interstate highway run right beside it. It does have a good farmers market with lots of good stuff in the summertime.

Cordele Farmers' Market (http://home.earthlink.net/~white_and_gold/Cordele_farmers_market.htm - broken link)

Old 12-09-2007, 11:30 AM

19 posts, read 52,904 times
I think your impressions are based on where you are coming from. I'm from up north and continually addressed as a Yankee. Racism is severe and very disturbing how deep rooted is still is. Building friendships is very difficult unless you are from the South. Cordele is very clickish. Albany is somewhat better. Cordele is a dying town. Applebees has backed out twice even though the town is right on I-75. No good restaurants nor grocery stores. I have to drive 35 miles one way to get decent shopping and I live in Lake Blackshear Plantation out in the county near the lake. Yes, Lake Blackshear and surrounding area is wonderful. Housing is very reasonable when compared to other warm climate states and much much cheaper than up north, but a house is not everything.

Yes, farmers market is great but only when items are in season. Schools are NOT good although some seem not to complain. Private school is available K-12. Parts of the area are very dangerous. The poverty is heartbreaking with no help in sight. Littering is horrible and the local chamber, the Crisp County Board of Commissioners don't seem to care. No enforcement of codes, hundreds of abandon buildings that are a dangerous (not just an eye sore). If you go outside the City, no leash laws. Dogs wander aimlessly.

I wish I could move tomorrow. Oh, golf is cheap too.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:42 PM

Miltysmum, you currently live in Cordele? What do you mean by decent shopping, do you mean there is nothing but WalMart? Also, online Albany sounds terrible (based on some of the other threads in this forum), is it not as bad as it's made out to be? Do you send your children to a private school? Also, Lake Blackshear...is it overrun with tourists and vacationers, or is it sort of a hideway private area?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltysmum View Post
No good restaurants nor grocery stores.
Not true. There are lots of good places to eat around Cordele. The Daphne Lodge is a very good restaurant. Another place that comes to mind is El Girasol.

And for grocery shopping in addition to the Wal-Mart Supercenter, there is Stripling's for all types of specialty items.

Striping's General Store

It is true that a small town in a rural area like Cordele does not the amenities that a large urban area would have, but I would imagine most people with any common sense would not expect that it would.

Last edited by Blue Eagle; 12-09-2007 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-16-2007, 10:38 AM

19 posts, read 52,904 times
Blue Eagle, how can you judge Cordele, when you don't even live here. Daphne's is good but expensive and not a "family retaurant." Striplings General Store is in a brand new building but is slightly larger than a convenience store. Prices are very high and meat is not always fresh. For 11,000 people, I would hope my town would have a decent grocery store and decent schools and decent places to shop for common items like clothes, get good service (lacking), and enforce rules. Littering is terrible here, condemned buildings abound, poverty is high.

Anyone with common sense knows that to know a community, you have to live there.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:48 PM

Default There is good eating in Cordele

I have made no claims as to knowing the community. But I have eaten in Cordele many times and have found lots of good places to eat there. As for inexpensive family restaurants in Cordele, there is Golden Corral Family Steak House, Cutter's Buffet and a Cracker Barrel.

I am fond of Smoakies BBQ. They serve some great ribs.

For a small town, Cordele has lots of good restaurants.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:03 PM

64 posts, read 222,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltysmum View Post
Blue Eagle, how can you judge Cordele, when you don't even live here. Daphne's is good but expensive and not a "family retaurant." Striplings General Store is in a brand new building but is slightly larger than a convenience store. Prices are very high and meat is not always fresh. For 11,000 people, I would hope my town would have a decent grocery store and decent schools and decent places to shop for common items like clothes, get good service (lacking), and enforce rules. Littering is terrible here, condemned buildings abound, poverty is high.

Anyone with common sense knows that to know a community, you have to live there.
You are 100% correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia