Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 03:32 PM

102 posts, read 166,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Those projects should help start attracting people back to Macon. Maybe the estimates next year will actually have an increase. However, since these are estimates, Macon could have in fact gained...we won't know for sure until 2020.
You do have a good point,but its not likely that they made that big or a mistake. Maybe it was just an off year. It will probably be back to gaining next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 04:34 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
I think eventually, Macon is going to benefit enormously for being so close to ATL. Do people realize that it's only 45 minutes from Macon to McDonough / Henry Couny? It's a little over an hour from Macon to ATL airport. The North Macon suburbs (especially Forsyth) are within easy commuting distance of South Metro ATL job centers.

I think it's safe to say the Macon and Atlanta CSAs will eventually be joined.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I think eventually, Macon is going to benefit enormously for being so close to ATL. Do people realize that it's only 45 minutes from Macon to McDonough / Henry Couny? It's a little over an hour from Macon to ATL airport. The North Macon suburbs (especially Forsyth) are within easy commuting distance of South Metro ATL job centers.

How long do you think that will take?

Old 03-27-2014, 05:11 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising-Star View Post
How long do you think that will take?
I think by 2030 easily ... If not before.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:33 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Atlanta-Chattanooga-Macon-Athens CSA? Yikes.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You could add Columbus in there too. The Atlanta and Columbus metros already touch. The proposed high-speed rail, which is moving faster than we thought, will only bring them closer.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:01 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

These are some good points and a good prediction.

The process of Macon benefitting greatly from being so close to Atlanta could be sped-up with some meaningful transportation infrastructure improvements like:

...The implementation of high-speed (or higher-speed) passenger rail transit service (high-speed regional commuter or interurban rail service) between Atlanta and Perry by way of the Atlanta Airport, Griffin, Barnesville, Forsyth, Macon and Warner Robins, and...

...Widening I-75 to 8 lanes (4 lanes in each direction) between the I-675 merge/split south of Atlanta and the I-475 Bypass split/merge just north of Macon, with variable speed limits up to 75-80 mph and congestion pricing in the form of variable cash-back tolls implemented on the road after construction is completed.

Implementing high-speed passenger rail service, widening I-75, installing variable speed limits and raising the maximum speed limit will have the effect of making Macon more conveniently-accessed to and from Atlanta, something which would help to make Macon seem like a suburb of Atlanta and also put Macon and Middle Georgia in a much-better position to benefit more-directly from metro Atlanta's continued high growth rates.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:04 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times
Quote:
That just sounds terrible. The Georgia CSA...as in half the state. Lol. It sounds preposterous...but...North Monroe county is already home to many metro commuters and south Monroe is firmly Metro Macon.

I dont know if the density will ever be there but it could happen albeit the only commuters will be within a few minutes of I75

Old 03-27-2014, 07:27 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
You could add Columbus in there too. The Atlanta and Columbus metros already touch. The proposed high-speed rail, which is moving faster than we thought, will only bring them closer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
That just sounds terrible. The Georgia CSA...as in half the state. Lol. It sounds preposterous...but...North Monroe county is already home to many metro commuters and south Monroe is firmly Metro Macon.

I dont know if the density will ever be there but it could happen albeit the only commuters will be within a few minutes of I75
Just like people tease Houston by calling it "The Blob That Ate South Texas" for Houston's explosive growth and ever-expanding geographical footprint across Southeast Texas, people will be able to tease Atlanta as being "The Blob That Ate North Georgia" for its continued explosive growth that threatens to expand Atlanta's regional geographical footprint across most of Georgia above the Gnat Line.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
That would be huge.I thinks that that's way to large of an area to grouped in the same CSA, since it takes up a very large portion of the state. For all of them to grouped into one,they would have to have a large number of employment interchange between the cites, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia