U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,011 times

Advertisements

Hi, folks. My husband has relocated to Marietta for work. He moved about 2 months ago and is so inundated with work that he has not had time to really research the area. Not to mention the fact that he really doesn't know anyone who has young, school-aged children. We are beyond thrilled to be moving to the area and are really quite overwhelmed by all of the options and the information that we're finding on the internet about schools and areas to live. I realize that I'm asking a lot of broad, opinion-based questions here so bear with me. Please feel free to answer any question that you can.

My (almost) 4 year old is in a beautiful, well-run Montessori school (preschool-9th grade)here in Winter Park, Fl. Are there any stand-out traditional Preschools or Montessori schools in east cobb or nearby? I also noticed that a lot of the elementary schools say that they have pre-k programs. Do most people view the pre-k program positively or do the prefer to send their child to a preschool?

I realize that everyone touts Walton to be the best and following closely behind is Lassiter. However, when I went and read the reviews of these schools I got varied opinions. I was reading that Walton and Lassiter both have rampant drug problems, don't have particularly warm and friendly administration and that Walton is so academically competitive that your child may get lost in the sea of other bright children. I also read a couple of people saying that there are a lot of 'hood' students at Walton...which seemed strange to me...since it's such an affluent area. What is the word on the street? What REALLY are the most well-rounded and loved elementary, middle, and high schools in the area? How much better are the Lassiter and Walton districts than Pope? I have 3 young (7,6,4) children and obviously they will not attend High school for quite some time, but after this hellacious move, I don't ever want to move again...so i'm thinking ahead of myself!

I am concerned about finding a strong, tight-knit community. We really, really want to find a neighborhood where there are other young families with children for our kids to play and grow up with. This is so important to us. In your opinion, what area do you recommend? We're looking for strong community with challenging schools where our children won't get lost in the shuffle of other bright students.

Thank you! All opinions are welcome and truly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 11:00 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,873,599 times
You'll get far more response by posting this in the ATL forum. Sadly, a lot of the Atlanta posters never bother to scroll down to the general Georgia threads.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:47 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,021,068 times
I cannot think of a school anywhere in the country where one will not encounter students who mess around with drugs and get into trouble. They are in Winter Park, FL to the same extent that they are in Cobb County. You will deal with this wherever you go to some degree.

Your children will find this element wherever you go if they are so inclined. You cannot do much better than either of the three schools you list anywhere in the country. Walton does get the press because its numbers are always a tad higher than the other two, but it is irrelevant in the larger scheme of things IMHO.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:46 PM

83 posts, read 110,677 times
Those three are very good schools, from what I've always heard.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,873,599 times
"Hood" students at Walton? That's a new one ...

You've got to remember, kids go online and post negative reviews of their rival high schools all the time. I promise you, anybody who calls Walton a "hood" school hasn't yet learned how to drive.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:01 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,021,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
"Hood" students at Walton? That's a new one ...

You've got to remember, kids go online and post negative reviews of their rival high schools all the time. I promise you, anybody who calls Walton a "hood" school hasn't yet learned how to drive.
SMH on that one myself. Any "hood' type complexes or neighborhoods anywhere in the East Cobb environs would most likely be zoned for either Wheeler or Sprayberry or be in the city limits of Marietta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or