Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 07:53 AM

52 posts, read 74,751 times

Advertisements

The family and I will be in Clarkesville for a week in June and will be staying at the Apple Mountain Resort. As this forum has successfully been helpful for past trip, I'm going to give it a whirl with this trip as well. I'm looking for places I must eat at or visit while in Georgia for my first time ever and that are in a decent proximity to Clarkesville. If It's worth an hour drive or such, please let me know. Open to any and all suggestions. 6 adults, 2 teens, and 2 kids in the party... please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 05:46 PM

Nothing, huh?

Old 04-21-2014, 05:30 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
This is posted on their web site: fishing, hunting, golf, whitewater rafting or any of the many other outdoor activities Habersham County has to offer.

You can also visit Helen GA a cutesy faux German/Swiss village. If your in for a longer drive you could go up to Cherokee NC from there and visit the Qualla Boundry. There is Tallulah State Park near by.

You didn't say what you and your family like to do? It's located in NE GA MTs. and there won't be big night life. I can't tell you about where to eat, best bet is to ask the locals when you get there.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:44 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Definitely do Helen -- it's a bit tacky but there's plenty to see and do there, lots of cute shops and restaurants, a water park, zip-line, tubing adventures down the Chattahoochee River, etc.

Nearby is Sautee-Nacoochee, a little mountain hamlet down in a valley that has several historic sites and the oldest functioning general store in Georgia.

Also close to Helen are both Brasstown Bald, the highest peak in Georgia, and Ana Ruby Falls, which are quite beautiful and worth the trek. The falls are accessible through Unicoi State Park, which is also a very nice place to visit with hiking trails, picnic areas, beach, etc.

After visiting Brasstown Bald, take the Richard Russell Scenic Byway back down the mountain toward Cleveland. It's probably the most beautiful drive in all of NW Georgia! The views are breathtaking. In Cleveland, there's really cute downtown area to explore, the Babyland General Hospital (home to the original Cabbage Patch dolls) and a fantastic bakery run by Austrian Puritans or Quakers or some such (I can't remember). Everybody thinks they're Amish, but they're not!

It's a bit of a drive, but Dahlonega -- site of America's first gold rush -- is definitely worth a visit. It's a cute town with tons of good shopping and eateries. Be sure and visit the Smith House for all-you-can-eat Southern cooking.

A bit north of Clarkesville in Rabun County is Talulah Gorge, where the movie "Deliverance" was filmed. It's quite the fascinating site! And a bit further north of that are the mountain resort communities of Clayton and Dillard. Definitely plan to eat at The Dillard House while you are there!

Old 04-22-2014, 09:30 AM

Thank you both SOOO much! This is exactly the kind of stuff we were looking for! We are coming from Chicago and just love to take in the beautiful scenery we generally won't otherwise experience and we LOVE to try the best food/restaurants for the areas we're visiting!

My best friend works in culinary management and her parents are in their 70s so the good eats, the cool historical and old timey places to visit fit right up our alley!

Also, the kids will love a water park and 2 of the 10 are dying to go zip lining!

If there's anything else anyone wants to contribute, please do! But thank you to both who did... I come onto this forum anytime I go on a trip or vacation and I have not yet been led astray!

Ps What is the popular go to grocery store in or around the area? I work at a supermarket and I like to see how the local favorites operate. Thank you again!

Old 04-22-2014, 12:55 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
I believe the most common grocery store chain in that part of the state (besides Walmart) is Ingles Market. I see there's one in Clarkesville. They are usually pretty nice stores, with reason good deli and meat departments, Starbucks, etc, but some can be hit and miss depending on the age and demo of the community. My sister lives in Cleveland, Ga. and she raves about the Ingles there. It's very nice.

There are also small independent grocers under the IGA banner throughout NW Georgia. Some of then are quite quaint, and of course specialize in mom-and-pop type service which you don't get much these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia