U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:54 PM

4,461 posts, read 7,257,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Great Smoky Mountains
That would be in Tennessee. The Blue Ridge Mountains are probably what you're thinking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 01:00 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,242,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
That would be in Tennessee. The Blue Ridge Mountains are probably what you're thinking about.
That's true, but the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is divided in two by the NC/TN border.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:03 PM

191 posts, read 266,689 times
Agreed. Virginia also makes a good political comparison. Geographically, its probably not a good comparison with most of its population density being stateside DC (ranks with Atlanta as an Alpha- global city) and Richmond (ranked as a "high sufficiency" city).

Also, I forgot to mention that Greensboro is a "sufficiency" city - so NC has three small global cities whereas GA only has one large global city.

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-23-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewplanner View Post
Great points. Although, I feel like comparing Charlotte to Atlanta is like comparing Atlanta to New York
That's quite a stretch IMO. We know Atlanta has a population of around 5.5 million. Charlotte is near 2.5 million while New York's metro is closing in on 20 million. Comparing Atlanta and Charlotte isn't as far out of the realm of possibility as comparing Atlanta and New York would be. Though comparing Charlotte to Birmingham would be closer, Charlotte is booming pretty good like Atlanta. I understand where you're coming from though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Thinking about it now, the Alabama comparison is probably a bit off. I'm not too familiar with 2nd and 3rd tier cities in GA such as Columbus, Macon, Augusta, etc. but I'm sure you're right. Asheville is indeed very liberal mainly because it's a college town, but it's practically a blue oasis because the surrounding areas are very red. The NC mountains have always been very conservative and still very much so. Actually, I would say Durham might take the crown for the most liberal city in NC due to the high population of minorities. However, Chapel Hill and Asheville are not far behind. So I would say Durham is the most liberal with Asheville at second and Chapel Hill at third. The Charlotte area and the Triangle overall are only moderately liberal. As for Asheville being a "political island" I'd say it's more like Athens but I could be wrong. How about Georgia? What are the big liberal areas over there?
What about Boone? Wouldn't that town be considered pretty liberal. It's smack dab in the highest part of NC's mountains.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Virginia also makes a good political comparison. Geographically, its probably not a good comparison with most of its population density being stateside DC (ranks with Atlanta as an Alpha- global city) and Richmond (ranked as a "high sufficiency" city).

Also, I forgot to mention that Greensboro is a "sufficiency" city - so NC has three small global cities whereas GA only has one large global city.

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's true. Most of Virginia's population lives in NOVA, the Richmond area, or the Hampoton Roads area. All either in northeast or eastern VA, Roanoke is practically the only decent sized city in the west and most of central VA is relatively rural. The population of NC is a little more spread out. NC and VA have some cultural similarities as well, the biggest being the tobacco industry. Georgia was more dependent on cotton like the rest of the Deep South, tobacco was bigger in the Upper South. South Carolina is an interesting state we haven't covered. Obviously, it does have similarities with NC and GA but in a way, it's almost more similar to Alabama. What would you say?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
That's quite a stretch IMO. We know Atlanta has a population of around 5.5 million. Charlotte is near 2.5 million while New York's metro is closing in on 20 million. Comparing Atlanta and Charlotte isn't as far out of the realm of possibility as comparing Atlanta and New York would be. Though comparing Charlotte to Birmingham would be closer, Charlotte is booming pretty good like Atlanta. I understand where you're coming from though.

What about Boone? Wouldn't that town be considered pretty liberal. It's smack dab in the highest part of NC's mountains.
I believe Boone is moderately liberal because of App State University, but the surrounding area is quite conservative like it is around Asheville. Watauga County (Boone) went for Romney in the 2012 election, while Buncombe (Asheville) was the only county in western NC that went for Obama. Interesting point bringing up Birmingham, AL, that's another city in which I believe is growing as well.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:27 PM

191 posts, read 266,689 times
Quote:
That is just one way to compare cities and there are many ways. I lived in Atlanta for several years and visited Charlotte many times. I don't see the comparison other than both being their state's largest and some awkward Bank of America relationship we have with one another. People often refer to Atlanta as "The New York of the South" some people from NC seem to consider Charlotte to be a "sister city" with Atlanta - I was just trying to say that both are similarly awkward sentiments.

Charlotte's "combined" statistical area has almost 2.5, but Atlanta's has almost 6.2 - that's about 2.5x larger whereas New York's "combined" area is about 3.8x larger than Atlanta's. Tomato-Tomahto.

Another way to look would be Global City status. New York is an Alpha++ (Tier 1), Atlanta is an Alpha- (Tier 4) and Charlotte is a Gamma+ (Tier 8). Atlanta is 3 tiers below NY, Charlotte is 4 tiers under Atlanta. Again Tomato-Tomahto... all Im saying is they are not peers. Atlanta is peers with Miami/Houston/Dallas, Charlotte is more Kansas City/Indianapolis/St Louis.

Sorry - and please dont take this as instigating an Atlanta-Charlotte battle.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Another way to look would be Global City status. New York is an Alpha++ (Tier 1), Atlanta is an Alpha- (Tier 4) and Charlotte is a Gamma+ (Tier 8). Atlanta is 3 tiers below NY, Charlotte is 4 tiers under Atlanta. Again Tomato-Tomahto... all Im saying is they are not peers. Atlanta is peers with Miami/Houston/Dallas, Charlotte is more Kansas City/Indianapolis/St Louis.

Sorry - and please dont take this as instigating an Atlanta-Charlotte battle.
No apologies necessary. We're in agreement with your above comment.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:08 PM

29,687 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Thinking about it now, the Alabama comparison is probably a bit off. I'm not too familiar with 2nd and 3rd tier cities in GA such as Columbus, Macon, Augusta, etc. but I'm sure you're right. Asheville is indeed very liberal mainly because it's a college town, but it's practically a blue oasis because the surrounding areas are very red. The NC mountains have always been very conservative and still very much so. Actually, I would say Durham might take the crown for the most liberal city in NC due to the high population of minorities. However, Chapel Hill and Asheville are not far behind. So I would say Durham is the most liberal with Asheville at second and Chapel Hill at third. The Charlotte area and the Triangle overall are only moderately liberal. As for Asheville being a "political island" I'd say it's more like Athens but I could be wrong. How about Georgia? What are the big liberal areas over there?
I'd say Asheville is more liberal than Durham. Minorities can be socially conservative and yet still vote Democrat so that in itself shouldn't be used as a barometer of how liberal a place is.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:33 PM

22,786 posts, read 34,826,617 times
Yes, we like North Carolina. No issue here. Move along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or