U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2014, 09:47 AM
 
29,785 posts, read 27,224,215 times
Reputation: 18331

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Atlanta is also more accessible for other Georgians to travel to because of it's geographical location. The Atlanta metro isn't a terrible drive from cities such as Athens, Augusta, Columbus, and Macon. NOVA is the tip northeast corner of Virginia, not the quickest drive from areas such as Roanoke and the Hampton Roads area.
Folks in parts of south Georgia like Savannah, Valdosta, Brunswick, etc. would probably be more likely to fly out of Jacksonville, FL being that it's closer than Atlanta. And VA has more than one major airport; folks in Hampton Roads or Richmond wouldn't really need to drive to NOVA to fly because they have their own airport. Also, VA's urban areas aren't spaced very far apart; Roanoke is about 230 miles from NOVA, Lynchburg is about 175 miles away, Hampton Roads is anywhere from 170-200 miles away (depending on exactly where in HR), and Richmond and Charlottesville are around 100 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2014, 10:17 AM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,252,613 times
Reputation: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Folks in parts of south Georgia like Savannah, Valdosta, Brunswick, etc. would probably be more likely to fly out of Jacksonville, FL being that it's closer than Atlanta. And VA has more than one major airport; folks in Hampton Roads or Richmond wouldn't really need to drive to NOVA to fly because they have their own airport. Also, VA's urban areas aren't spaced very far apart; Roanoke is about 230 miles from NOVA, Lynchburg is about 175 miles away, Hampton Roads is anywhere from 170-200 miles away (depending on exactly where in HR), and Richmond and Charlottesville are around 100 miles away.
That's true, and I would imagine a good portion of South Carolina's population fly out of Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 11:22 AM
 
29,785 posts, read 27,224,215 times
Reputation: 18331
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
That's true, and I would imagine a good portion of South Carolina's population fly out of Charlotte.
They do, or have a connection at Charlotte-Douglas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,420 posts, read 16,904,664 times
Reputation: 9512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Folks in parts of south Georgia like Savannah, Valdosta, Brunswick, etc. would probably be more likely to fly out of Jacksonville, FL being that it's closer than Atlanta. And VA has more than one major airport; folks in Hampton Roads or Richmond wouldn't really need to drive to NOVA to fly because they have their own airport. Also, VA's urban areas aren't spaced very far apart; Roanoke is about 230 miles from NOVA, Lynchburg is about 175 miles away, Hampton Roads is anywhere from 170-200 miles away (depending on exactly where in HR), and Richmond and Charlottesville are around 100 miles away.
I don't know anybody in Savannah that drives to Jacksonville to fly. Savannah has an outstanding airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Metro Atlanta & Savannah, GA - Corpus Christi, TX
4,469 posts, read 7,270,282 times
Reputation: 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I don't know anybody in Savannah that drives to Jacksonville to fly. Savannah has an outstanding airport.
I did just that 5 years ago. Drove to Jacksonville to connect through Atlanta for a flight to Vegas. It was way cheaper than flying out of Savannah.. or Charleston. Or Atlanta even. At the time.

I used to know many people that did that. Things have changed since then with the addition of JetBlue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 10:41 AM
 
631 posts, read 1,066,788 times
Reputation: 633
Georgia is most similar to NC in the sense that they both parallel each other with three distinct regions spanning each state.

Mountains: North Georgia and Western NC: Rugged, more temperate, more protected lands, very white, tourism, Appalachian culture

Piedmont: Rolling hills, fast growing urban areas,

Coastal region: hottest area of each state, largest black population, strongest deep south culture, beaches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 11:13 AM
 
29,785 posts, read 27,224,215 times
Reputation: 18331
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Georgia is most similar to NC in the sense that they both parallel each other with three distinct regions spanning each state.

Mountains: North Georgia and Western NC: Rugged, more temperate, more protected lands, very white, tourism, Appalachian culture

Piedmont: Rolling hills, fast growing urban areas,

Coastal region: hottest area of each state, largest black population, strongest deep south culture, beaches
The same goes for NC and VA in that sense also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,252,613 times
Reputation: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The same goes for NC and VA in that sense also.
I definitely would agree with you that NC has very strong similarities with both Virginia and Georgia. However, would you say the major urban areas in NC are a bit more similar to the major urban areas of GA? The Atlanta metro is pretty similar to Charlotte and the Triangle. You can spot similarities with the Richmond area and the Triangle, but NOVA feels way too Mid-Atlantic to be compared with any area of NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 03:29 PM
 
631 posts, read 1,066,788 times
Reputation: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I definitely would agree with you that NC has very strong similarities with both Virginia and Georgia. However, would you say the major urban areas in NC are a bit more similar to the major urban areas of GA? The Atlanta metro is pretty similar to Charlotte and the Triangle. You can spot similarities with the Richmond area and the Triangle, but NOVA feels way too Mid-Atlantic to be compared with any area of NC.
I mean, there are certain exurban areas of the DC suburbs that feel like Metro Atlanta. Loudoun county and Forsyth County feel a lot alike to me, despite the fact that Forsyth County is much, much more conservative. But NOVA is different from NC and GA cities.

The cities in NC and GA follow the pattern of very liberal core cities with a ring of very conservative suburbs. Raleigh/Durham is a different animal though in this respect with a moderately liberal city with moderately conservative suburbs and a couple very liberal college towns nearby. However, NOVA suburbs aren't like this at all. Loudoun and Prince William County are a lot more like Montgomery County, PA or Bergen County, NJ than Cobb County, GA or York County, SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 05:28 PM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,252,613 times
Reputation: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I mean, there are certain exurban areas of the DC suburbs that feel like Metro Atlanta. Loudoun county and Forsyth County feel a lot alike to me, despite the fact that Forsyth County is much, much more conservative. But NOVA is different from NC and GA cities.

The cities in NC and GA follow the pattern of very liberal core cities with a ring of very conservative suburbs. Raleigh/Durham is a different animal though in this respect with a moderately liberal city with moderately conservative suburbs and a couple very liberal college towns nearby. However, NOVA suburbs aren't like this at all. Loudoun and Prince William County are a lot more like Montgomery County, PA or Bergen County, NJ than Cobb County, GA or York County, SC.
That's true, to me, NOVA feels like driving around any major suburb of Maryland, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. However, driving around the suburbs of the Triangle in Wake or Durham County, NC feels like driving around DeKalb or Gwinnett County, GA. Maybe it's just me, but I could never understand why people compare the Triangle to NOVA. The Triangle is moderately liberal, but it's nowhere close to NOVA in that regard. It's much similar to the Atlanta metro. Even a transplant saturated town like Cary in NC feels more similar to an area like Sandy Springs or Lawrenceville in GA than Arlington or Fairfax, VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:07 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top