U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 6,404 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking for a nice town to retire in Georgia that also has low crime and mild winters. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 05:26 AM

22,664 posts, read 34,732,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John05 View Post
Hello, I am looking for a nice town to retire in Georgia that also has low crime and mild winters. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The list goes on and on.
I'll suggest my community of St Simons Island. It's very popular with retirees.

St Simons Guide - The Official Website of Saint Simons Island and the Golden Isles. St Simons Accommodations, Restaurants, Events, Entertainment, and more!

Old 04-28-2014, 07:37 AM

4,409 posts, read 7,082,489 times
I'd suggest adding just a Few more restrictions...

Urban, Rural, how much and what kind of businesses (shopping, theater/entertainment, books stores, golf/tennis/bowling, etc...), any need for health care and is any of that very specific (like, being retired military and using the VA system). Have you Been to any places in GA that you've enjoyed, what about those places did you like? And on, and on and on...

All I know is that my parents moved from the town where I was born and raised to their "idyllic retirement location" only to find themselves separated from life-long friends, isolated, and now reclusive. Their health has failed very quickly, they have Not followed through on any of their retirement plans ~ it's just struck me as an awful thing to go through. I'm not sure if that's due to my parents personality, where they moved, That they moved or is a general indication of the "work hard, retire" mentality (I've had others say that their parents went through similar, so I know this isn't isolated). Not saying that YOU will go through this either, just voicing concerns/cautions because I truly wouldn't wish what my parents are dealing with on anyone. They have a stunning retirement home in a beautiful location and spend the majority of their time inside watching TV.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:35 PM

I have never been to Georgia and am not familiar with the various towns. What I am looking for is a nice town with low crime and mild winters. I am not looking for a retirement or gated community.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:42 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,834,692 times
Quote:
I have never been to Georgia and am not familiar with the various towns. What I am looking for is a nice town with low crime and mild winters. I am not looking for a retirement or gated community.
Big town? Small town? Urban? Country? Mountains? Piedmont? Coast?

Georgia is a big state.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:51 PM

I am more interested in a small town in the country basically because I am looking for at least a 1/2 acre of property or more because it seems that the closer you get to the larger cities, the less property you get.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:33 PM

Grandparents.com Inc., a website for the 50-plus market with more than 2 million registered members, has published the listing of the top six most affordable American cities for retirees to live in.

Savannah called one of best places to retire | savannahnow.com

Old 04-28-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I am more interested in a small town in the country basically because I am looking for at least a 1/2 acre of property or more because it seems that the closer you get to the larger cities, the less property you get.
Well that will leave you with plenty of options. Lots of nice small towns in Georgia.

A few more questions:

1. Where are you coming from? How important is access to amenities like shopping, hospitals, airports, the arts, etc?
2. How much are you looking to spend?
3. How "mild" do you want your winters to be? The southern half of the state is mostly sub-tropical and has very mild winters (think Florida). The northern half of the state can get quite cold in the winter and experiences snow and ice at least 2-3 times a year.
4. Do you want to be in a "retirement" area, or will any small town do?

Several places along the coast and in the mountains are known as retirement havens. Also, the Lake Oconee region of central Georgia (basically the towns of Greesboro, Madison, Eatonton and Milledgeville) is a big retirement area.

Athens -- home to the University of Georgia -- has also been ranked among the top retirement places in the nation. But I have a feeling it's much too big for what you're wanting.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:59 AM

9,820 posts, read 20,051,369 times
Half acre lots are common everywhere in Georgia, so that's an easy hurdle to cross.

Every town has crime. Serious crimes can happen sporadically in low crime areas and areas of so-called moderate risk can be quite safe. It's your responsibility to lock your doors and put away your tools and toys when you're not there to keep an eye on things. Other than that, there's little to worry about.

The most important issues, other than having enough money to live someplace, are being a very short distance to a grocery store, pharmacy, hospital, and a few social/recreation venues to keep you mentally and physically healthy. A half acre lot ain't gonna cut it. You need much more to survive.

Being around other retirees will matter more than you think. It simply makes life easier to have peers, especially if you move someplace where you have no connections.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 AM

5,128 posts, read 3,571,079 times
Baxley. Check it out, meets all of your requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia