Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 01:02 PM

5 posts, read 6,845 times

Advertisements

My husband is relocating to Norcross from Tampa, Florida and although I have not found a job in Healthcare technology yet, we plan on buying a home in John's Creek, Alpharetta or Duluth. We are looking for a home around $400,000 and with our kids in college, schools are not the main consideration.

I think commute is very important and I plan on working in Alpharetta, John's Creek, or Norcross. In other words anywhere but Atlanta. I am hearing traffic horror stories and any advice would be very much appreciated. This is a move we must make for my husband's job and with so many things changing in our lives I need advice on what neighborhood's to look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 03:30 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Don't get too spooked by the horror stories of traffic. It's a consideration, certainly, but it shouldn't be the only thing that drives a decision (no pun intended :-) There's lot of healthcare related jobs in that area, with Gwinnett Medical Center, North Fulton Medical Center, and even Northside Hospital/Children's Healthcare at Scottish Rite and St. Josephs just over in Dunwoody.

You may not be too concerned about schools, but if you are looking at possible resale in the next 5-10 years, then it's definitely a consideration on resale. Alpharetta has Northview HS, which is a highly coveted high school and tends to drive up home prices in its district.

Right now, there are about 77 active listings between $350-$400,000 in Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Norcross and Duluth. Neighborhoods would include Huntington, Amberleigh, Mayfair and River Plantation. You may also want to consider looking at Peachtree Corners, also, just south of Norcross and going counter-traffic to the Johns Creek area, which would make for slightly lighter traffic.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:45 PM

Default Thanks

I really appreciate this information and the time you spent to reply. It means something that my new community is willing to lend a helping hand! Thank you!

Old 04-29-2014, 11:12 AM

I thought I would provide more information to help in my quest for information.

-My husband and I are in our 50's
-Husband is set with new position in Norcross
-I will be looking for employment soon, while I continue to work in Tampa. I work in software- IT as an Implementation Manager for the healthcare industry, but can handle this position in any industry
- I am definately avoiding Atlanta for a job and I will focus on Alpharetta, Norcross, Dulth, John's Creek or Roswell or anything else nearby
- We are looking for a home that has a lot of at least 1/3 acre and privacy is very important. We currently live in a neighborhood where the homes are so close that if my neighbor lifts weights my house shakes.
- Our top budget is about $425,000 for a minimum 4 bedroom detached home.
- Our 19 year daughter is in college in Florida, but I suspect will transfer to a Georgia school since she is in southern Florida and too far from the nest.
- Son is graduating college and hopefully off to Texas for first new career- must consider having a bedroom just in case
- I am hearing John's Creek is a good option, but would welcome reasons and opinions on this .
- Also I am hearing being far from any highway is a disaster- is this true if you are not commuting to Atlanta or Sandy Springs area and working locally?
- How is the job market for IT Sr. Business Analyst/ Product Manager positions?
- I am exicted about the move, but because I am a planner, seek input.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:40 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times
Be careful of putting too much stock in the horror stories about traffic and commuting around Atlanta. There are cities that have it FAR worse than we do here (D.C., New York, LA and others)
If your husband works in Norcross, then you should consider living in the city and if you end up living in the city, consider working in the city as well. Some perks might be:
1. Your husband will have a 15-minute, reverse commute to work (I used to have this same commute)
2. You will live within 20 minutes of the airport for when your son flies in to visit (or you guys decide to travel
3. Living in the city will minimize the number of times you have to take I-285 (probably the worst or 2nd worst road to take for commuting).

IT is a good field to be in in Atlanta, but I'm not sure about product manger positions. Most of those jobs are centered around Alpharetta.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the insight and much appreciated! Originally from Westchester County area of NY and I do know traffic- thanks for keeping things in prospective.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:03 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
One warning... If your daughter changes schools you may find (her) in non residency status paying out of state tuition at Georgia (State) Colleges/Univ.

Also check out what you need to do to keep her as a FL resident if she stays in FL for school and you move to Georgia.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the college reminder- we have that planned for and the good news with Florida prepaid (do not let the name fool you...it is almost prepaid with the bait and switch), she will keep her residency status even if we move. Unfortunately, she will lose her scholarship. If she choses a school in Georgia, hopefully we have a year in the home to gain Georgia residency.

The college resolution is low on the list of moving pieces, although very important. Selling, buying, finding a job and not knowing anyone keep me up at night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia