Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 01:54 PM

20 posts, read 21,613 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will be moving from CT to Georgia next summer. I know the cost of living is cheaper and I would be able to afford a nice home and the weather is much warmer. My husband and I, and our two teenage daughters are just tired of living here. I know when my husband and I retire we would not worry about struggling to make ends meet. My issue is where to move. We are looking for a safe area, with beaches, parks, shopping, grocery stores near by and lots of things to do. A place that is lively but not too crazy busy like NY. We would like to purchase a home as well. So we are looking for homes that would be $150K or lower. We are are of hispanic decent so we would like somewhere that will accept us. As for jobs both of us work in the Finance field, Accounts Payable & Receivable. So we are looking to maybe work in a hospital. Does anyone have any idea of what cities might be a good fit for us? I appreciate any help or suggestions that you can provide.

Thanks

Marilynn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 02:57 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
houses 150K or lower and beaches don't go together, but good luck in your search!

Old 06-01-2014, 12:46 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynn1971 View Post
Hello all,

I will be moving from CT to Georgia next summer. I know the cost of living is cheaper and I would be able to afford a nice home and the weather is much warmer. My husband and I, and our two teenage daughters are just tired of living here. I know when my husband and I retire we would not worry about struggling to make ends meet. My issue is where to move. We are looking for a safe area, with beaches, parks, shopping, grocery stores near by and lots of things to do. A place that is lively but not too crazy busy like NY. We would like to purchase a home as well. So we are looking for homes that would be $150K or lower. We are are of hispanic decent so we would like somewhere that will accept us. As for jobs both of us work in the Finance field, Accounts Payable & Receivable. So we are looking to maybe work in a hospital. Does anyone have any idea of what cities might be a good fit for us? I appreciate any help or suggestions that you can provide.

Thanks

Marilynn
Start your search for employment in the Atlanta metropolitan region where the type of employment and amenities that you are looking for are most-likely to be available.

You could also look in the Savannah, Augusta and Columbus areas if you are looking to live in a much-smaller metro area.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:25 AM

Thanks so much for the information Born 2 Roll. Would you happen to know anything about Marietta? What it's like? Slow or fast paced? Things to do? What the housing market is like?

Thanks Marilynn

Old 06-02-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the information Born 2 Roll. Would you happen to know anything about Marietta? What it's like? Slow or fast paced? Things to do? What the housing market is like?

Thanks Marilynn
Marietta is a Northwest inner-suburb of Atlanta. Some parts of Marietta are older, more-urbanized and even historic while other parts of Marietta are purely suburban in nature.

Overall, Marietta is an urbanizing suburb that continues to make the transition from far-flung outer-suburb to close-in inner-suburb as the Atlanta metro region continues to grow.

Marietta is not the small exurban and semi-rural town it used to be but it is still somewhat slower-paced when compared to much faster-paced urban Atlanta, though the area has much, much, much more traffic than it used to. Many parts of Marietta also continue to grow increasingly diverse with rising minority and immigrant populations.

Most of the activity and things to do (concerts, festivals, farmers markets, events, public gatherings, etc) occur at and in the vicinity of historic Glover Park at Marietta Square.

Much of the east part of the area with a Marietta address (the area known as East Cobb) has a hot real estate market because of the very highly-regarded quality of the schools in the area. The rest of the Marietta area real estate market is healthy but not excessively-priced.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:54 PM

Wow! Thanks so much for all of the information Born 2 Roll. You are very knowledgeable. Would you by chance know anything about Lawrenceville or Canton. I have a list of 9 cities and I would like to condense the list down to find the best three to visit.

1. Safest?
2. Housing Market? Houses under $150K
3. Activities
4. Job Market
5. Hispanic population?

Old 06-03-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Wow! Thanks so much for all of the information Born 2 Roll. You are very knowledgeable. Would you by chance know anything about Lawrenceville or Canton. I have a list of 9 cities and I would like to condense the list down to find the best three to visit.

1. Safest?
2. Housing Market? Houses under $150K
3. Activities
4. Job Market
5. Hispanic population?
1 - Canton is safer because it is much more outer-suburban and semi-rural in nature than Lawrenceville which is much more heavily-developed, though Lawrenceville is still relatively very-safe...

2 - Lawrenceville is the area where you might be more likely to find houses under $150k because it has much more development than Canton...

3 - Lawrenceville has a few more activities in and around its historic county courthouse and town square than Canton, though Canton has some activities in its historic downtown area as well...

4 - Both the Lawrenceville and Canton areas are but small parts of the much-larger and much more-expansive Atlanta metropolitan area....These areas are directly tied to the fortunes of the Metro Atlanta job market which is in the process of very-steadily but very-slowly recovering from the very-severe damage inflicted during the severe economic downturn of the late 2000's and early 2010's...
...If you decide to move to Metro Atlanta, be sure to do your research into what jobs may be available in your job field and be sure to first have employment lined up and secured before moving to Georgia so that you will be sure to have employment in a challenging job market and that you will know where you will be working and where you should look for housing...

5 - Lawrenceville (and Gwinnett County) has a fast-growing Hispanic population that is much-larger than Canton....Lawrenceville and Gwinnett County's fast-growing Hispanic population is one of the largest in the state of Georgia and one of the largest in the entire Southeastern U.S. outside of Florida.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:45 AM

Born 2 Roll-Thank you so much for all of the detailed information you provided me with. I will think about everything you told me, and take everything into consideration.

Best Regards,

Marilynn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia