U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:59 PM

29 posts, read 52,177 times

Advertisements

We live outside of Vidalia, Georgia. In the last 2 - 3 years, we have watched a rural area as it is taken over by drugs, money fraud, failed banks, burglaries and violent crime. When we first moved here, it was very quiet and the folks were really nice. However, a lot has changed with the drugs that are moving up and down Highway 280.

People's homes are burglarized, copper wiring is stolen from empty houses for sale, and murders are on the increase. We even had our house burglarized over two years ago and we live on a very quiet and quaint street. It is difficult to watch an area like this taken over by thugs. The crime is increasing at an alarming rate in about a 50-mile radius.

Currently and unfortunately, it is not uncommon to hear a meth lab blow up in our area, and those who are arrested are sometimes released back into the public. It is not uncommon to see high-tech surveillance aircraft flying over cotton fields and up and down rural roads.

A lot of folks may say, "Well, it's happening all over the U.S......"

Yes, it is; however, when you live in a very small, rural area and the crime is right down the street, it is literally in your face almost 24/7. Plus, when it is evident that the law enforcement is doing very little to stop the influx of drugs, well, you do the math.....

The law enforcement has become very proficient at using the RICO ACT to attain vehicles.

Business Inside - "16 Routes of Drug Flow into the U.S.":

16 Maps Of Drug Flow Into The United States - Business Insider

JUST A FEW of the News Stories - including the drugs, fraud and murders:

(2008) - Vidalia police seize drugs, guns and more - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

(2009) - Southeast Georgia Today Web Portal - US Attorney "Toombs Drug Bust"

(2011) - Lyons Police Chief Busted on Drug Charges - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

(2012) - Drug arrests told by sheriff - The Baxley News-Banner

(2013) - Two arrested, third suspect sought in Mount Vernon drug bust

(2013) - Vidalia dentist Rebecca Wolfe charged after meth lab bust - Georgia Newsday

(2013) - Vidalia woman in custody after fatal shooting - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

(2013) - 11 Arrested in Laurens County Drug Bust | Crime | Dublin News

(2013) - 5 charged in Uvalda meth lab bust - Georgia Newsday

(2013) - http://www.wtoc.com/story/21673949/v...urst-drug-bust

(2014) - Ex-banker Aubrey Lee Price pleads guilty | www.ajc.com

(2014) - Southeast Georgia Today Web Portal - Fatal Shooting in Santa Claus

(2014) - Police investigate shooting in Vidalia, 2 hospitalized - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

(2014) - Police investigate after 3 shot Sunday in Toombs County - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

(2014) - http://www.wtoc.com/story/25533701/p...-in-hazlehurst

(2014) - http://www.southeastgeorgiatoday.com...022&Itemid=117

(2014) - UPDATE: New charges for man accused of killing Toombs County tea - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

SO.....before you think about that cozy home in the country where the buffalo roam.....think again.

Before you think about sending your children to school in the Toombs, Montgomery, Treutlen or Laurens County school systems, think again.

Rural Georgia is being overtaken by drugs and violent crime.

Last edited by Neptune Report; 06-11-2014 at 10:21 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 07:18 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,725,482 times
Unfortunately it is happening across rural America in general. It is worse in the deep south due to extreme poverty. The combination of poverty, lack of jobs, and a continuing recession has had negative impacts everywhere.

Other issues that exacerbate the situation: overcrowded jails cause more releases, law enforcement is paid a pitiful wage in most rural places thus it is difficult to attract and retain competent individuals. Also with the economy, local governments have had to scale back positions in law enforcement. Also, we are in a 6-7 year recession...younger adults under 25-30 don't know what it is like to live during a time when unemployment is low and jobs are more plentiful. It is a perfect storm and unfortunately the rural areas will be the very last to recover when the economy does improve.

One last thing, it seems to me that too many(not all, just too many) longtime residents in rural areas have their heads in the sand. They almost refuse to admit there is a problem...just an observation in my discussions with people. The same people exist everywhere, but it seems that it is harder to call a spade a spade in rural areas because the spade's mama and grandma go to church with you and you know the family, etc. Far too much is written off with, "he's actually a good kid...but"

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 06-12-2014 at 07:28 AM..

Old 06-12-2014, 09:14 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,503,386 times
Thanks Obama!

Old 06-12-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Unfortunately it is happening across rural America in general. It is worse in the deep south due to extreme poverty. The combination of poverty, lack of jobs, and a continuing recession has had negative impacts everywhere.

Other issues that exacerbate the situation: overcrowded jails cause more releases, law enforcement is paid a pitiful wage in most rural places thus it is difficult to attract and retain competent individuals. Also with the economy, local governments have had to scale back positions in law enforcement. Also, we are in a 6-7 year recession...younger adults under 25-30 don't know what it is like to live during a time when unemployment is low and jobs are more plentiful. It is a perfect storm and unfortunately the rural areas will be the very last to recover when the economy does improve.

One last thing, it seems to me that too many(not all, just too many) longtime residents in rural areas have their heads in the sand. They almost refuse to admit there is a problem...just an observation in my discussions with people. The same people exist everywhere, but it seems that it is harder to call a spade a spade in rural areas because the spade's mama and grandma go to church with you and you know the family, etc. Far too much is written off with, "he's actually a good kid...but"
^^^THIS^^^

Plus, moonshine has been traded for drugs. And, the drug dealer is usually someone's cousin. It's the dark secret that covers South Georgia like an ominous storm cloud. If I'm honest about what appears to be the case, I would estimate that at least half of the population who live down here are either involved in drugs or indirectly involved. Highway 280 has become a distribution route. Even the local citizens won't deny that fact.

This is a poor area; however, it is not uncommon to see young folks driving very expensive and "tricked-out" trucks. Not everyone works at Plant Hatch. Not everyone owns an onion farm. People drive very expensive vehicles, who appear to have very average jobs. And, the economy benefits from the drug trade down here, especially the car dealers by way of the RICO Act.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/te...t-I/chapter-96

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-l...ficials/nW7hr/

Plus, it's obvious some of the law enforcement is involved in the drug trade down here. When you see how the cases are handled, it becomes pretty incriminating. Then again, a Lyons Police Chief was arrested on drug charges.

In an area that would seem to be friendly, it is not. They may be friendly at church; however, people stay to themselves. It's not Mayberry, not by a long stretch.

Last edited by Neptune Report; 06-12-2014 at 11:13 AM..

Old 06-12-2014, 11:21 AM

1,930 posts, read 4,317,400 times
How is this a "new problem" in rural South Georgia, or anywhere in the rural deep south? There are plenty of ghetto small towns/towns that have intimidating ghettos and have been for awhile. I'm in my late 20s, I dont remember 3 or 4 decades ago, so when I say "awhile" I mean it isn't something that just popped up a couple years ago. I've been in and out of these towns since the mid to late 90s for various reasons like visiting family, going to church, sporting events, etc. and it's been the same IMO.

No matter if you're in an urban environment or the rural, it all depends on what neighborhood you choose to reside in. If someone moved to an area that was originally good and it turns bad, then you just have to try to relocate.

I'm from Macon and we all know this city's reputation, but I have relatives that live in certain neighborhoods in towns like Dublin and Eastman that are much more sketchy than my particular neighborhood in Macon.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
How is this a "new problem" in rural South Georgia, or anywhere in the rural deep south? There are plenty of ghetto small towns/towns that have intimidating ghettos and have been for awhile. I'm in my late 20s, I dont remember 3 or 4 decades ago, so when I say "awhile" I mean it isn't something that just popped up a couple years ago. I've been in and out of these towns since the mid to late 90s for various reasons like visiting family, going to church, sporting events, etc. and it's been the same IMO.

No matter if you're in an urban environment or the rural, it all depends on what neighborhood you choose to reside in. If someone moved to an area that was originally good and it turns bad, then you just have to try to relocate.

I'm from Macon and we all know this city's reputation, but I have relatives that live in certain neighborhoods in towns like Dublin and Eastman that are much more sketchy than my particular neighborhood in Macon.
.....and we are currently attempting to relocate. However, when you check out the crime rates all over the South, many towns have taken a shocking downward turn (at least compared to 30 years ago). There have been crime problems in many of these Southern towns for decades; however, instead of fighting the influx of drugs, many locals are simply signing up for the easy money.

On top of this, the illegal alien issues on our borders and the influx of illegals coming up from Mexico and Central America is not helping the situation, not at all. Again, it didn't start yesterday. No one can think of the Rural South without thinking of the moonshiners. However, this current situation with drugs is definitely getting worse. It truly wasn't this bad when we moved here.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:10 PM

5,845 posts, read 4,838,914 times
The idea that drugs, poverty and crime are restricted to mostly-black neighborhoods in big cities is a myth. Poverty IS the problem, and as long as it continues to be rampant, these problems are not going to go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Thanks Obama!
Yup, everything was perfect in southern Georgia before he arrived.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:52 AM

17,347 posts, read 35,205,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Maybe, but one of those cases above was a successful dentist that had a meth lab in her barn.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Maybe, but one of those cases above was a successful dentist that had a meth lab in her barn.
We've seen reports regarding: Growing marijuana, meth labs, drug dealing and distribution with the culprits including middle to upper middle class, Caucasian, African-American, Hispanic, men, women, educated, uneducated and professionals. Everyone from the troublemaker on the street to a dentist. It knows no boundaries.

Even though poverty and a lack of jobs can be a huge factor in all of this, one major contributing factor is the lack of law enforcement in this area. Various counties have managed to build brand new police departments and sheriff's offices, to include purchasing new vehicles (thanks to the RICO Act); however, with all of the new and improved (and quite impressive) re-enforcement, the drug dealing continues.

The current Montgomery County, Georgia Sheriff has been in office for approximately 18 months.
He had no prior law enforcement experience. Yet, he was voted in as Sheriff, even though others were running with years of law enforcement on their resume.

Southeast Georgia Today Web Portal - Sheriffs Elect Grads

The Sheriff's page on the county website has yet to be updated with information on the department:

Montgomery County Georgia Web Portal - Ladson O'Connor - Sheriff

On top of this, Vidalia, Georgia has a recently constructed police department, with new and improved vehicles.

However, the crime, especially violent crime, escalates.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:08 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,769,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Thanks Obama!
I fail to see how President Obama has anything to do with this. Please explain your logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia