Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 01:42 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
If I may be so bold to make a personal recommendation to you... at some point in your life... at least once.... Take the Ferry to Cumberland Island and go on a camping trip for an extended weekend.

It is really the best way to see the Georgia coast and quite an experience. Of course, for most it is also highly inconvenient and not the best thing for a week long family vacation. Luckily, the lack of people adds to the experience.
Definitely on the bucket list....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 07:24 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
If I may be so bold to make a personal recommendation to you... at some point in your life... at least once.... Take the Ferry to Cumberland Island and go on a camping trip for an extended weekend.

It is really the best way to see the Georgia coast and quite an experience. Of course, for most it is also highly inconvenient and not the best thing for a week long family vacation. Luckily, the lack of people adds to the experience.
The Park Service limits the the number of daily visitors on Cumberland to 300, so reservations are a must. As far as camping, I called last January to reserve a site on the facilities campground for Labor Day weekend. It was already booked up.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:30 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The Park Service limits the the number of daily visitors on Cumberland to 300, so reservations are a must. As far as camping, I called last January to reserve a site on the facilities campground for Labor Day weekend. It was already booked up.
I thought they had raised that number? Or tried to anyways? Also, what happened to the plan to allow more vehicles on the island?

Old 06-22-2014, 10:14 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I thought they had raised that number? Or tried to anyways? Also, what happened to the plan to allow more vehicles on the island?
The ferry caps out at 150, and runs twice a day, so 300 it is.
There was actually talk of reducing that number; the hotel owners in St. Marys raised hell, since most of their guests are there to see the island. When they can't get a reservation, they cancel their rooms.

Last edited by Iconographer; 06-22-2014 at 10:22 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 12:10 PM

541 posts, read 1,144,742 times
Cumberland has new "Land and Legacies Tour" which is operated by the NPS. Those are the only "new" vehicles allowed on Island.

A group of business people are also pushing for a 2nd ferry service from Fernadina. The catch being that they'll allow bicycles on their ferry. Currently, the ferry from St.Marys does not allow bikes, you have to rent them once you get there or charter a boat and bring your own. I believe the contract is up in May/June 2015. It's not sitting well with the St. Marys folk so I'm anxious to see how it plays out.

FYI: The Greyfield does do "day trips" they just don't advertise them. A nice option for people who want to see Cumberland but maybe not "rough" it so much.

I heard talk of online reservation system for CI but I just checked site and no info there.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:05 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I agree... to a point, Leave a couple of them totally protected from bridge/causeway, but open some others up. I don't know this part of Georgia like I want because of this. We usually went to the Florida panhandle or closer to relatives in FL to do our beach going.... St. Augustine, New Smyrna Beach, Daytona....
I agree with this as well. Particularly Little Tybee and Wassaw. From an economic standpoint, Georgia could certainly benefit from better accessibility to one or two more sea islands.

Otherwise, preservation of the delicate Georgia coast should be of utmost importance.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:57 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,530,189 times
http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2...-near-ga-coast

Old 09-07-2014, 09:14 PM

44 posts, read 69,236 times
I agree Georgia is to big to be growing in one metro.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:15 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
More than Jobs
This will blow Georgia up completely. . . .
No, i don't think it will.

This isn't six flags.

There has been a theme park in Valdosta for years, and it hasn't made any impact on the area its in. It stays busy, but no one that has plans for disney is diverting to it, and they won't do it for a park in Kingsland either.

Its never really packed out, but you may see 5-6k people lined up for a concert every now and then.

It will be nice for the people living around Kingsland, but I don't see the impact you're expecting.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:32 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,530,189 times
Well Kingsland will grow, Hotels will be built
Brunswick as well
And Wild Adventures is not near the interstate
that is its flaw
Had Wild adventures been near the interstate it would be booming
Lastly, coastal cities have potential
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia