Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 08:36 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
But why do you need those things on Jekyll Island? Can't you get that on St Simons?

And I'm speaking as someone who just did come down from Atlanta for a vacation on Jekyll.
Well, it took us a good 45 minutes to go from Jekyll back across the causeway, cross the bridge to Brunswick and then back out the causeway to St. Simons, so a mildew free hotel, a family restaurant and an ice cream cone shouldn't have to be that far away, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 10:10 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Well, it took us a good 45 minutes to go from Jekyll back across the causeway, cross the bridge to Brunswick and then back out the causeway to St. Simons, so a mildew free hotel, a family restaurant and an ice cream cone shouldn't have to be that far away, right?
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 09-28-2014, 11:15 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
DJDeadParrot I couldn't have said it better myself. I think a lot of people that currently visit it now from Atlanta and from the rest of the Georgia (and the country) like it for what it is, now. I could be mistaken but that has been my experience when I have talked to people visiting there. It is one of the last natural beaches in the eastern US, which is easily accessible ( which I agree with you News is important to have accessible.)

When I last visited there was candy and ice cream in the shops near the Jekyll Club in that little cottage "village" area which is wonderful. If that is new and/or restored, then yes I'd I agree News and say that it is great now and would be an improvement, if it had previously been run down, as you were discussing. Is this the area you were referring to News? The restaurant on the dock is great, too. Unbelievable scenery and peacefulness. It's like time slows down on the Georgia coast, and I'm thankful for it every day.

I hope it doesn't change. It's a masterpiece of an island. The conservative governor declared that the amount of buildable land on Jekyll remain constant. It looks like it has strong popular and bipartisan support to remain in its current preserved state. Which also attracts tourism with its pristine beach. Thank goodness for this and thank you Gov Deal.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:01 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Then where's my rep point?

Old 10-02-2014, 01:46 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Then where's my rep point?

"You cannot give reputation to the same post twice."

Old 10-02-2014, 07:57 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Once the new Boardwalk and beach village are complete, and all the new hotels come online, Jekyll is going to be awesome. Right now, it's still in a state of rehab and kinda boring and depressing, IMO. But the future definitely looks bright. Once all the reconstruction is complete, and people rediscover it, I predict Jekyll is going to become a very popular getaway for Metro Atlantans.
When should these developments be complete?

Old 10-02-2014, 12:39 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
When should these developments be complete?
According to JI's website, the new village should be complete next Spring. The Westin will open this fall. At the same time, construction of a new Courtyard by Marriott and a Springhill Suites will commence, as will a facilities renovation for Villas By The Sea. Two new full service restaurants will be opening beachside. They're not dragging their heels.

Jekyll Island - Affordable Georgia Beach Family Vacation Destination Jekyll Island

Old 05-18-2015, 11:28 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,982,226 times
Visiting this thread because we will be visiting jekyll island in June. Bringing the German Shepherd. ..sure hope she takes to the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia