Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 05:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,543 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I currently live in FL and I'm wanting to relocate to GA. I plan on taking a trip up there and checking some areas out when I get my vacation time from work. I've visited there a few times and love the more rural areas, but would also like to be close to a town with shopping, etc. I would be renting a home/apt for now. Would like an area with nice people/good community. I've looked into Kennesaw and Athens, does anyone have any info on those areas?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 08:11 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Job First...
Then ask about places to live.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:00 PM

4 posts, read 4,543 times
Not trying to be rude...but how come people on here always say "get a job/look for work first, etc" without even answering the persons question? I've seen this on so many of the posts I've looked at. I understand that lining up a job is important, I wouldn't just move without having work obviously, but that's not what I'm asking. I'm going to be LOOKING around at areas in GA while on vacation time very soon and would like some actual suggestions please Lol...thanks again.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:15 AM

161 posts, read 219,293 times
I can see how the "find a job first" response could bother the person asking, but please understand that most people moving to GA don't seem to get how large a state it is, how rural it quickly becomes outside of major cities/towns, and how challenging metro Atlanta traffic can be. So all those factors can add up to this: you may come on vacation and visit all the lovely areas people suggest, and fall in love with a place, and totally imagine yourself there...and then...you can't find a job anywhere nearby. So that's why most people say find the job first, then they'll suggest areas nearby that will best fit your needs/desires.

Good luck!

Old 09-26-2014, 06:26 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo89 View Post
Not trying to be rude...but how come people on here always say "get a job/look for work first, etc" without even answering the persons question?
Because most people REALLY jump the gun and think only "Oh, I want to move" and not "How the heck am I gonna Survive if I move?" It's said because there are SO MANY stories of people who fail at moving because they didn't secure the Most important thing first. It's not the 1990's anymore where you can simply be a warm body and get a job... heck, higher degree and 15 years experience and there's Still no guarantee you can get a job, ANY job.

Anyway, I thought you said you wanted/liked rural... Kennesaw and Athens are hardly rural. Kennesaw has 30k people within it's limits, but it's a 'burb of Atlanta, and Athens has 110k people, it's a city in its own right. There will be far more job opportunities with the population density of both of those than a Real rural area. I've personally lived in Acworth (just a little further north than Kennesaw) and liked the area as much as one can like any suburb, but if you must commute south for work, it's by far the Worst commute in the area. A 17 mile drive would often last an hour to an hour and a half. I haven't lived out by Athens, but I have traveled/camped in the area and Outside of the city is nice...

By picking those, is it safe to assume you want more elevation change than mid and southern GA (and most of FL), flat? Are you looking to get enough elevation to see more season changes, because that's further north. And do you Really want Rural... meaning, when you say you want "shopping", in my head I think "you want a grocery and drug store", but YOU may mean you want Macy's, Penneys, and Dillards within 5 miles. Do you frequently seek entertainment outside your home? If yes, is it outdoor stuff (hiking, biking, kayaking, etc..) or dependent on a business (movies, restaurants, retail outlets)? Because what you May be looking for is a suburb, not rural.

Anyway, listing more of your wants.. and things like "nice people/good community" are absolutely worthless, because Every single person on this planet would be described as a "nice person" by someone, and same with the community... listing more wants/needs will help narrow down things. Stick to hard things.. you don't want to be further than X miles from major shopping/a hospital/a lake/multiple hiking trails/etc... Else, just toss a dart at a map and you'll get as good of a recommendation as anyone on here can/will provide. Everyone here will simply talking about places They like, even if they are Completely unlike you in their wants/needs (for instance, me... I'd NEVER pick either of the 2 locations you picked because I actually prefer real Rural living).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia