U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-28-2007, 04:23 PM

22 posts, read 50,174 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Marietta at the end of the month. Zip [SIZE=-1]30064 on Whitlock Ave and near the square. I'm coming from the Bronx, NY. I've heard such horrible things about Marietta that even coming from the Bronx I'm afraid of crime, horrible schools, racism and rudeness. I was there for 2 days and found nothing out of sorts. I understand traffic is bad and plan on freelancing from home or finding employment near my apartment.

I mean people told me that living in the bronx I was going get to get raped and robbed. I've been here for 10 years and have never been victim to anything other than someone busting out my car windows and stealing my husbands tennis balls.

But what I'm getting is that Marietta and ATL in general is a crime infested area with bad schools, nothing to do, no way to get around and rude people, . the 2 days I spent there were nothing great. I saw one little area that look like rundown projects but I'm used to that living in new york and it doesn't mean anything.

So any NY transplants or outsiders have an opinion. Natives? Is it a mistake to move there? My family can't afford to live in new york and we have an apartment on hold with a 2 bedroom for 900 as opposed to 1500 in NYC. We want to also get out of debt and can't do that here in new york. My husbands is a tennis pro and will be making about the same amount of money maybe a bit more but the cost of living seems to be about 40 percent cheaper than new york.
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 07:44 PM

9,125 posts, read 23,605,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiachu View Post
So any NY transplants or outsiders have an opinion. Natives? Is it a mistake to move there? My family can't afford to live in new york and we have an apartment on hold with a 2 bedroom for 900 as opposed to 1500 in NYC. We want to also get out of debt and can't do that here in new york. My husbands is a tennis pro and will be making about the same amount of money maybe a bit more but the cost of living seems to be about 40 percent cheaper than new york.
[/SIZE]
The only thing that will be less expensive is your rent or mortgage payment and your property tax. You'll pay more for groceries, you'll pay ad valorum tax on your cars, and you'll pay the same as NY for clothes, a new car, electronics, etc. For comparison's sake, I'd figure on $600 less/month due to the rent delta- other than that, you'll need to make the same money you did in NY.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:46 PM

22 posts, read 50,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The only thing that will be less expensive is your rent or mortgage payment and your property tax. You'll pay more for groceries, you'll pay ad valorum tax on your cars, and you'll pay the same as NY for clothes, a new car, electronics, etc. For comparison's sake, I'd figure on $600 less/month due to the rent delta- other than that, you'll need to make the same money you did in NY.
well I caculated it all out. Paying 1500 for rent and about 200 a month on utitlites plus 100+ more for car insurance every month, higher gas, 8 percent sales tax , 1000+ a month for daycare, 1,000 for limited health insurance...

As opposed to 900 dollars a month, less car insurance, less cost for daycare, more insurance choices...

Lets just say that 300 dollars a year ad val tax on our car and the sales tax will be worth it.

I don't know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia