Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 4,205 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am a single mother relocating and boy could I use some help.

Here is some stuff about me:

I am 30, and my son is 7. We are both white. I grew up in the country side of upstate NY. It's important for me to move somewhere in the country, but I do need employment and it would be nice to meet people... so not too far out in the country. I'm not interested in moving to Atlanta - I prefer somewhere quiet and safe with a good school district.

I have been told that it will be impossible for someone from New York to be able to "fit in" and that moving that far south is a bad choice... but I can't help but try and relocate to a place that aligns better with our values, because currently we don't "fit in" here.

Please tell me your thoughts, and if you have any suggestions please send them my way.

Thank you so much
Jane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 12:01 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
The advice to you is the same to everyone who wants to move to Georgia: Find a good well-paying job first then worry about finding someplace to live that will be relatively close to where you will be working.

We say this because while the job market is improving from the rock bottom lows of 2009-2012, the job market still is nowhere near what one would call robust in the state of Georgia with many working-class people still struggling.

Find a good well-paying job before you move to Georgia or anyplace else then comeback here to City Data and ask about finding a good place to live near where you will be working.

But whatever you do, DO NOT MOVE ANYWHERE WITHOUT FIRST SECURING A WELL-PAYING JOB IN THE PLACE THAT YOU WILL BE MOVING TO!!!!!

...That's because you will very much likely regret it if you move to someplace like Georgia without first finding a well-paying job.

Good luck on your job search!

Old 11-26-2014, 12:09 PM

Thanks Born 2 Roll! I don't need a well paying job, but I would like to work. I have no debt or car payment and am able to buy my home out right. I work from home as a writer, so my contracts follow me I would like to pick up some kind of job part time to meet people and get out in to the community.

I am mostly looking to see if Georgia would be a good fit, so I think my original post really kind of explains the information I am seeking.

I really appreciate your input. Thank you!

Old 11-26-2014, 01:33 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_jane View Post
Thanks Born 2 Roll! I don't need a well paying job, but I would like to work. I have no debt or car payment and am able to buy my home out right. I work from home as a writer, so my contracts follow me I would like to pick up some kind of job part time to meet people and get out in to the community.

I am mostly looking to see if Georgia would be a good fit, so I think my original post really kind of explains the information I am seeking.

I really appreciate your input. Thank you!
Well, in this case I would like to suggest Cleveland and Clarkesville in NE Georgia.

As far as 'fitting in,' it is ridiculous that you have been warned that this is too far south and it would never work. As long as you are friendly, open minded and don't run around preaching 'this is how we did it in NY' you should blend in and be accepted just fine.

Good luck!

Old 11-26-2014, 01:36 PM

265 posts, read 402,298 times
You don't really explain what you are referring to when you say you don't "fit in" up there. Do you mean politically? Religion? That might help people who want to respond to you. Here in Florida there are LOTS of transplanted New Yorkers, so FL might be an option for you. But maybe you are trying to get away from other NY'ers?

Old 11-27-2014, 03:59 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
We just moved here from the Boston area and did a bit of groundwork to ensure we would find communities of like-minded people here. We found what we were looking for in the Roswell/Alpharetta area. Unsurprisingly, there are also many other transplants here.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:24 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
OP, do you want mountains, coast or plains/farmland? That's going to make the biggest difference... or, you could pick between "need AC for 11 months" vs "need AC for 10 month".... because, don't let anyone kid you, it's HOT in Georgia for an excessive portion of the year (says the Wyoming native who spent ~8 years in DC and Boston before coming south). It's a hot that, while distinctly different from Phoenix, is equally as miserable if not slightly more-so.

Anyway, there are only a couple of school districts that continuously pop up as "good", but that's "good" as compared to the rest of what's available in GA ~ they all teach to the lowest common denominator. But so long as You are an engaged parent it really shouldn't make any difference.

As for fitting in, you'll have the same troubles as anyone. Georgia is firmly entrenched in its ways, the "Good ole boys club" is massive, and highly annoying when you're looking for contractors. Even though my wife was born here and has family history in GA for several generations before the Civil War (lol, War of Northern Aggression... yes, that's how I hear it referenced most of the time), we have issues getting Anyone to return calls... that is, unless we reference her father. Mind you, we are Very rural, in one of the most depressed counties in GA... it's almost certainly not nearly as bad in areas with larger population or more transient population.

The one question that always comes to my mind with people wanting to move to GA is simply "Why". Why GA, what's here that's drawing you to This particular state? Most of the time it's a really good reason (family, job), but sometimes it's for no reason at all and what the person Wants the most would be best found in a different state.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:40 AM

My parents relocated to Northern Florida. I would like to be close to them, and be able to find a nice community for my son to grow up in. I have looked around in Alabama, Florida, South Carolina and Georgia. Georgia seems to be extremely diverse, so it has been hardest for me to get a firm idea of what life is like here.

Where my parents live in Florida is not ideal for us. While they are in a nice retirement community, the majority of what I have found available for us are loosely bound towns filled with double wides.

Where we are now is not ideal for us, as we are politically estranged from the majority... So much so that my neighbors have pulled my voting record and questioned me. That sums things up as quick as I can do it - Thanksgiving and a snow storm here today

Old 11-27-2014, 07:46 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,847,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_jane View Post
My parents relocated to Northern Florida. I would like to be close to them, and be able to find a nice community for my son to grow up in. I have looked around in Alabama, Florida, South Carolina and Georgia. Georgia seems to be extremely diverse, so it has been hardest for me to get a firm idea of what life is like here.

Where my parents live in Florida is not ideal for us. While they are in a nice retirement community, the majority of what I have found available for us are loosely bound towns filled with double wides.

Where we are now is not ideal for us, as we are politically estranged from the majority... So much so that my neighbors have pulled my voting record and questioned me. That sums things up as quick as I can do it - Thanksgiving and a snow storm here today
Where in N Florida is it? N Florida is a pretty big stretch from east to west. If it's near Jax, I'd suggest Brunswick (or SSI if you can afford it). If it's near Tallahassee, I'd suggest Valosta or Thomasville. If it's near Pensacola, then Alabama is you best bet.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:26 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Where in N Florida is it? N Florida is a pretty big stretch from east to west. If it's near Jax, I'd suggest Brunswick (or SSI if you can afford it). If it's near Tallahassee, I'd suggest Valosta or Thomasville. If it's near Pensacola, then Alabama is you best bet.
Yeah, if they're in the western panhandle than I suggest looking at Fairhope, Alabama. It's an artsy little town that is popular with writers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia