Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 33,643 times

Advertisements

Hi, 58 year old male-divorced looking at homes for sale in NE Georgia. Looking online now, will be driving south from Michigan in the spring to walk thru a few of the ones that interest me.
I'm going to be retiring and I've always loved the Blue Ridge Mountains and also southern life in general. Can any of the locals or anybody that knows the area tell me how full time life in Blue Ridge might be? I have never been to Blue Ridge but have been close..Maggie Valley NC ect. I know the area is big for tourist but it can't be compareable to say Gattlinburg Tn can it? Gattlinburg and the constant traffic-congestion is a serious turnoff. I need to know if Blue Ridge is slow enough for someone that is dreaming of a beautiful area to retire to and explore. How about the Aska mountain area? I'm seeing a lot of nice homes for sale there. Are there a lot of northeners living in the area? I hope not really, I want to feel like I'm part of the real south. I love the charm of a southern town and hope to become involved in community service's ect. Good way to help people and possibly meet someone nice and settle down with.

Anyone with any opinions I would love to hear from you. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 04:17 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,091 times
It's a very pretty area and I understand why living in N. GA may appeal to you. One of the biggest complaints I have heard from retirees, and some of these are from Georgia is that area of north Georgia is not friendly to outsiders. The same can be said with most any small town in GA (or elsewhere for that matter). I think if you paid a visit and look around yourself, you will get a better idea firsthand. The major roads in Blue Ridge get congested as well at certain times of the year. There are more people retiring up in that area in recent decades, some like it very much and for others, it is too isolating. The people are generally friendly, but like I said, they can put up walls to outsiders.

One thing to keep in mind as you age, getting access to specialty doctors will be difficult. Older people will move to areas up in the mountains often times, and then find that far driving to get to doctors can be stressful as they often have to drive all the way into metro Atlanta for such needs. I know of some older people moving closer back to metro Atlanta for those reasons alone.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:37 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Berkeleylake is correct in that people can put up walls. But... the walls come falling down when folks here realize you didn't come to change things. That you embrace their traditions and ideals. That you learn to enjoy the simply life and that the glitz and glamor of a city or that fast paced life style isn't what you crave. Because to be quite honest.. if that's what you want... Blue Ridge, Blairsville, Ellijay, etc., will probably drive you crazy. With that being said, if Blue Ridge is your kind of area....then welcome!

There are several small towns in Northern Georgia that will meet your requirements. As far as comparisons to Gatlinburg.. yes Blue Ridge is touristy, but not near to that extent. Thankfully! You'll also want to check out Ellijay, Blairsville, Mineral Bluff, McCaysville, and maybe even as far east as Hiawassee and Young Harris. While all have the same basic characteristics (small town charm and quiet lifestyle) they all too have distinct aspects which make them unique. I find that Ellijay is tourist, but geared to the weekend Atlanta tourist (except during the Apple Festival). Blairsville seems to be the place for a lot of retiree's. Not as much tourist shopping (don't get me wrong.. there are some great ones but not near the number).

The best piece of advice that I can give comes to when you start looking for a home. Apparently (before we bought) a lot of speculation was occurring and homes were going up very fast. The range of quality of homes you will look at will be very broad. Of course prices here range from less than 100K to upwards in the millions depending on location, but even in the same price range watch out for quality. The real estate bust made this area take a hard hit because a lot of the cabins/homes were of the second home/weekend retreat category. It seems to be rebounding some though. Start thinking about a few small things too as far as your home. How far up a ridge you want to be (steep or not?), how far from basic services (hospital, grocery?), job (?.. and if your going to try to find one this is going to be the MOST DIFFICULT to overcome), do you want isolation or neighbors, etc? When you answer those basic questions it will help you to narrow down your choices.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:53 PM

150 posts, read 481,650 times
Actually Blairsville sounds more toward s what your looking for. Blue Ridge is losing it charm as you say every year. Not because of outsiders but that 90 percent of the people who move to Blue Ridge move from cities. People that move to Blue Ridge from the country fit it fine. But the Weekend warriors are destroying Blue Ridge one Floriduh and one Cobb county tag at a time. People are becoming pushy and even beeping horns and fingers lately. I've seen more Southern like towns actually up North. Blairsville is more laid back and doesn't have such a gay population from A@@lanta.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:20 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
Actually Blairsville sounds more toward s what your looking for. Blue Ridge is losing it charm as you say every year. Not because of outsiders but that 90 percent of the people who move to Blue Ridge move from cities. People that move to Blue Ridge from the country fit it fine. But the Weekend warriors are destroying Blue Ridge one Floriduh and one Cobb county tag at a time. People are becoming pushy and even beeping horns and fingers lately. I've seen more Southern like towns actually up North. Blairsville is more laid back and doesn't have such a gay population from A@@lanta.
What do you have against gay people?

Old 12-19-2014, 08:38 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
He alway does.

OP, I live in south AL and came through Blue Ridge on my way back from Gatlinburg last October. Traffic was bumper to bumper in Gatlinburg, but practically non existant in BR. There's a few new places popping up here and there, but it's definitely still a small town. I did notice quiet a few cabin rental places, so that must mean its growing in tourism. Don't expect the 6000ft mountains you see in TN/NC but it's still a beautiful area.

Have you checked out Murphy NC?

Old 12-20-2014, 11:49 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,084 times
Default Check this out!

Gas $1.94 in Blue Ridge today.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:51 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
He alway does.

OP, I live in south AL and came through Blue Ridge on my way back from Gatlinburg last October. Traffic was bumper to bumper in Gatlinburg, but practically non existant in BR. There's a few new places popping up here and there, but it's definitely still a small town. I did notice quiet a few cabin rental places, so that must mean its growing in tourism. Don't expect the 6000ft mountains you see in TN/NC but it's still a beautiful area.

Have you checked out Murphy NC?

Got some in the 4K to 4.8K range, though. Lots of public land, too...less land for development. Whoopee!

Old 12-29-2014, 06:40 PM

6 posts, read 33,643 times
I really appreciate the opinions and help on this subject ...I have looked at home in Murphy NC and that area is fabulous..Much more remote than Blue Ridge

Old 12-30-2014, 02:24 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
ellie - This guy is the proverbial nut job who hates anything to do with cities and Florida... go figure.

Blue Ridge is a wonderful community and the surrounding towns and areas mentioned in a prior post are also terrific. I spend 1/2 my time between Blue Ridge and Atlanta, and the quality of living in Blue Ridge cannot be beat. The folks there are warm and welcoming and there is so much to do outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia