Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,732 times

Advertisements

Ok, so a little about me is I'm a high school senior currently residing in Oklahoma.
Though it has been nice with friendly people this isn't the place I want to call home.
I have family here, missouri, and georgia. I plan on attending college for an associate's in radiologic technology and I want to work in a children's hospital. Also, I would eventually own my own business or a franchise. Whichever place I choose is the place I want to officially call HOME. I will be relocating with my mother who is currently looking to complete her RN or get into medical coding and billing. So somewhere that has good health field opportunities would be ideal. I want to live comfortably financially and safety wise. I am originally from Missouri so it is more familiar to me. Yes, I know somethings I've listed are stereotypes and every place has it's pros and cons but there are a few that keep me hesitant..

Georgia:

Pros: festivals (i love art/music) , low cost of living, new place, culture, food, social scene, great place for young professionals, beautiful scenery, and not much of a winter

Cons: bad traffic (i'm a fairly new driver), already have problems with being late, alot of negative reviews on other forums, sterotype of downlow men (eventually want to be able to start a family, get married), unemployment rate, overcrowded, high crime rate (i want to be able to goto the store, my car still be parked outside, not be always afraid, or go home to have my hard earned things taken from me; never had to too much worry about this in oklahoma), supposedly the only jobs you can find are low wage (i want to be able to take care of myself and my necessities while im still in school; car payment, car insurance, phone bill, groceries, etc.) because after i obtain my degree i won't be as concerned with being able to be employed, and not so friendly people

Missouri:

Pros: already familiar with, low cost of living, laid back (not too many "wannabe's" as i've heard georgia is known for), low unemployment rate, food, gates, and feels like "home" (maybe only because thats where i grew up)

Cons: crime rate, not many friendly faces, harsh winter, not much place for advancement, and can get old sortve quick.

But either way I will not be staying in Oklahoma, I've applied to schools in both places, and will be leaving in June. I will not be making my final decision from this forum but I just wanted any advice, pros/ cons and experiences. Anything helps. Thanks.

Last edited by smith9901; 12-24-2014 at 11:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 02:48 AM

5 posts, read 5,101 times
I'm also a high schooler and I live in the greater St. Louis area. I've lived here my whole life so I think I can remind you and convince you to move back where you grew up. Not to mention, we need more businesses here anyway, that's something you could bring to the table. I know you said you know the State well, but just to remind you how amazing it is here. There are some amazing things here in St. Louis, since Jefferson City feels like it is in the middle of nowhere and Kansas City is just the whole other side of the state. Back to STL, As for your medical profession, St. Louis has Washington University, or more commonly referred to as "Wash U". Wash U is a top university in the U.S.. I believe it recently ranked 11th on some ranking. They also are affiliated and very involved in with a children's hospital and many other hospitals and medical centers as well, which would be great for your career. I have visited the campus and can verify to you that it is absolutely beautiful! Go look it up, it's also right next door to Forest Park (Much larger than central park). It is in a truly prime location, so i'm sure you'll love it. As for crime, its not that bad, most people, if any, only have experience a car window being broken. Although it is advised and agreed on by most people that you stay away from some parts of Northern St. Louis. There is usually little reason to go up there anyway, so you should be OK. My rule of thumb is don't go too far north or south. Lets just say if you start to see broken down brick buildings and weeds growing everwhere, you are most likely not in a good area. Obviously, on the other side of the river is East St. Louis, which you will want to stay away from. There is a high crime rate and strip clubs and its just not the prettiest place to be. But, once again, there is usually no reason to go there. Just wanted you to know. Anyway, after college, St. Louis will be a great place to call home. There are soooo many things to do and places to see. If you wanna check out some of these places on google, I'm sure you'll see why I love it here: The City Museum (a giant building made into a playground), The STL Zoo, The Art Museum,The History Museum, The Muny, Forest Park, The Loop, Grants Farm, The Arch, Ted Drewes (agreed by all STL citizens as the best ice cream ever), The FOX theatre, STL symphony, Kemoll's Restaurant (my favorite restaurant), and sometimes just driving around you'll find something new. These are only a few of the big ones, but there are wayyyyy more. So I promise you, it won't get boring. Moving on to the Married and family part, that nice salary from radiology and the thought of starting your own business brings me to the places to live. If you make enough, you could live in some of my favorite areas in St. Louis. I'm staying out of the inner city and in the surrounding areas. First is Huntleigh, Huntleigh is one of the wealthiest areas in the country. Some average incomes go well into the millions. It also has the residence of Busch IV, as in Anheuser Busch Beer Company, that should tell ya something. It has many beautiful mansions and lots of land, so it is less crowded. The nice thing is that it is not crowded at all, but still in the city area, so it almost feels like you are living in a mini Forest Park, great for a family. Then, Ladue is probably my favorite area, it is a bit of more "old money" style (a lot of mansions from the 70's and stuff) but there are some really nice modern homes that I am sure will suffice. For Example, my best friend's Grandpa lives in a 3 million dollar mansion there, and it is definitely not old money. Not to mention it has some nice golf courses and is a very wealthy area with good education opportunities (John Burrows and other college prep schools). Town and Country is pretty much like Ladue, but a believe there is more range is size and cost of houses. Any other places near those three are the wealthiest parts of St. Louis and are, in my opinion some of the best and most beautiful. Clayton is a very nice area and is middle class to upper/rich class. Its almost like its own little city outside of the main city. This is a very nice place to live, the shopping is great and it is a very safe area. Other middle and upper class neighborhoods include Crestwood, Sunset Hills, Kirkwood, Frontenac, Creve Coeur, and Chesterfield (another one of my favorites, great shopping, woods, but also semi-close to city, nice houses, friendly, safe.) Those are only some of the areas in St. Louis, they are about 15 to 30 minutes away from the inner city. They are so beautiful and i think they will really be a great place to live and raise a family. Or if you prefer the suburbs, I will always love St. Charles County, right next door across the smaller river that I cant think of the name of right now. The good thing is that your job will pay well, so you can afford to live in a good area. As for Georgia, You have to worry about Hurricanes and Tornadoes, and other crap, here you only have to worry about torandoes haha. Doesn't Georgia have alligators too??? And they don't really have distinct seasons, rather just hot and cold. Missouri has snow, Georgia rarely does. Anyhow, I can't offer much advise for Georgia, but I can say that St. Louis just thrives with culture, it feels unique from other cities. This is a uniqueness i couldn't leave behind. I hope you come to caim St. Louis as your home! The city is calling you!

Old 12-30-2014, 03:49 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
I believe you have poor information on Georgia and Atlanta - except the Atlanta traffic part... It is as safe as any other place for the most part.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:30 AM

5 posts, read 5,101 times
I don't believe I am misinformed though. Perhaps on the gators and hurricanes and stuff though. But Georgia climate data really suggests that there is cold or hot, and not defined 4 seasons. And there are only gators in southern Georgia, so that is misinformation, but there are quite a lot of snapping turtles. And Georgia does have cold, but not as much snow as Missouri, Georgia rarely gets snow. Although you could argue the homes down there are very beautiful too. And while both areas have tornadoes, Atlanta doesn't get any damage from hurricanes too, just rain that might be pushed in. Overall, they are two different areas.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:09 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I believe you have poor information on Georgia and Atlanta - except the Atlanta traffic part... It is as safe as any other place for the most part.
My husband lived in Missouri for three years. He would as soon respond to a thread labeled "Shall I live in Georgia or leap off a cliff?"

Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 PM

130 posts, read 210,029 times
no-brainer, hands down. GEORGIA. I have friends with family there (multiple) and if you dont work in a mine then you sit home and collect a check. MO doesnt have an economy to speak of. MO has insane property taxes and property searching nazi's.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:32 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,725,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedmed1 View Post
I'm also a high schooler and I live in the greater St. Louis area. I've lived here my whole life so I think I can remind you and convince you to move back where you grew up. Not to mention, we need more businesses here anyway, that's something you could bring to the table. I know you said you know the State well, but just to remind you how amazing it is here. There are some amazing things here in St. Louis, since Jefferson City feels like it is in the middle of nowhere and Kansas City is just the whole other side of the state. Back to STL, As for your medical profession, St. Louis has Washington University, or more commonly referred to as "Wash U". Wash U is a top university in the U.S.. I believe it recently ranked 11th on some ranking. They also are affiliated and very involved in with a children's hospital and many other hospitals and medical centers as well, which would be great for your career. I have visited the campus and can verify to you that it is absolutely beautiful! Go look it up, it's also right next door to Forest Park (Much larger than central park). It is in a truly prime location, so i'm sure you'll love it. As for crime, its not that bad, most people, if any, only have experience a car window being broken. Although it is advised and agreed on by most people that you stay away from some parts of Northern St. Louis. There is usually little reason to go up there anyway, so you should be OK. My rule of thumb is don't go too far north or south. Lets just say if you start to see broken down brick buildings and weeds growing everwhere, you are most likely not in a good area. Obviously, on the other side of the river is East St. Louis, which you will want to stay away from. There is a high crime rate and strip clubs and its just not the prettiest place to be. But, once again, there is usually no reason to go there. Just wanted you to know. Anyway, after college, St. Louis will be a great place to call home. There are soooo many things to do and places to see. If you wanna check out some of these places on google, I'm sure you'll see why I love it here: The City Museum (a giant building made into a playground), The STL Zoo, The Art Museum,The History Museum, The Muny, Forest Park, The Loop, Grants Farm, The Arch, Ted Drewes (agreed by all STL citizens as the best ice cream ever), The FOX theatre, STL symphony, Kemoll's Restaurant (my favorite restaurant), and sometimes just driving around you'll find something new. These are only a few of the big ones, but there are wayyyyy more. So I promise you, it won't get boring. Moving on to the Married and family part, that nice salary from radiology and the thought of starting your own business brings me to the places to live. If you make enough, you could live in some of my favorite areas in St. Louis. I'm staying out of the inner city and in the surrounding areas. First is Huntleigh, Huntleigh is one of the wealthiest areas in the country. Some average incomes go well into the millions. It also has the residence of Busch IV, as in Anheuser Busch Beer Company, that should tell ya something. It has many beautiful mansions and lots of land, so it is less crowded. The nice thing is that it is not crowded at all, but still in the city area, so it almost feels like you are living in a mini Forest Park, great for a family. Then, Ladue is probably my favorite area, it is a bit of more "old money" style (a lot of mansions from the 70's and stuff) but there are some really nice modern homes that I am sure will suffice. For Example, my best friend's Grandpa lives in a 3 million dollar mansion there, and it is definitely not old money. Not to mention it has some nice golf courses and is a very wealthy area with good education opportunities (John Burrows and other college prep schools). Town and Country is pretty much like Ladue, but a believe there is more range is size and cost of houses. Any other places near those three are the wealthiest parts of St. Louis and are, in my opinion some of the best and most beautiful. Clayton is a very nice area and is middle class to upper/rich class. Its almost like its own little city outside of the main city. This is a very nice place to live, the shopping is great and it is a very safe area. Other middle and upper class neighborhoods include Crestwood, Sunset Hills, Kirkwood, Frontenac, Creve Coeur, and Chesterfield (another one of my favorites, great shopping, woods, but also semi-close to city, nice houses, friendly, safe.) Those are only some of the areas in St. Louis, they are about 15 to 30 minutes away from the inner city. They are so beautiful and i think they will really be a great place to live and raise a family. Or if you prefer the suburbs, I will always love St. Charles County, right next door across the smaller river that I cant think of the name of right now. The good thing is that your job will pay well, so you can afford to live in a good area. As for Georgia, You have to worry about Hurricanes and Tornadoes, and other crap, here you only have to worry about torandoes haha. Doesn't Georgia have alligators too??? And they don't really have distinct seasons, rather just hot and cold. Missouri has snow, Georgia rarely does. Anyhow, I can't offer much advise for Georgia, but I can say that St. Louis just thrives with culture, it feels unique from other cities. This is a uniqueness i couldn't leave behind. I hope you come to caim St. Louis as your home! The city is calling you! I'm also a high schooler and I live in the greater St. Louis area. I've lived here my whole life so I think I can remind you and convince you to move back where you grew up. Not to mention, we need more businesses here anyway, that's something you could bring to the table. I know you said you know the State well, but just to remind you how amazing it is here. There are some amazing things here in St. Louis, since Jefferson City feels like it is in the middle of nowhere and Kansas City is just the whole other side of the state. Back to STL, As for your medical profession, St. Louis has Washington University, or more commonly referred to as "Wash U". Wash U is a top university in the U.S.. I believe it recently ranked 11th on some ranking. They also are affiliated and very involved in with a children's hospital and many other hospitals and medical centers as well, which would be great for your career. I have visited the campus and can verify to you that it is absolutely beautiful! Go look it up, it's also right next door to Forest Park (Much larger than central park). It is in a truly prime location, so i'm sure you'll love it. As for crime, its not that bad, most people, if any, only have experience a car window being broken. Although it is advised and agreed on by most people that you stay away from some parts of Northern St. Louis. There is usually little reason to go up there anyway, so you should be OK. My rule of thumb is don't go too far north or south. Lets just say if you start to see broken down brick buildings and weeds growing everwhere, you are most likely not in a good area. Obviously, on the other side of the river is East St. Louis, which you will want to stay away from. There is a high crime rate and strip clubs and its just not the prettiest place to be. But, once again, there is usually no reason to go there. Just wanted you to know. Anyway, after college, St. Louis will be a great place to call home. There are soooo many things to do and places to see. If you wanna check out some of these places on google, I'm sure you'll see why I love it here: The City Museum (a giant building made into a playground), The STL Zoo, The Art Museum,The History Museum, The Muny, Forest Park, The Loop, Grants Farm, The Arch, Ted Drewes (agreed by all STL citizens as the best ice cream ever), The FOX theatre, STL symphony, Kemoll's Restaurant (my favorite restaurant), and sometimes just driving around you'll find something new. These are only a few of the big ones, but there are wayyyyy more. So I promise you, it won't get boring. Moving on to the Married and family part, that nice salary from radiology and the thought of starting your own business brings me to the places to live. If you make enough, you could live in some of my favorite areas in St. Louis. I'm staying out of the inner city and in the surrounding areas. First is Huntleigh, Huntleigh is one of the wealthiest areas in the country. Some average incomes go well into the millions. It also has the residence of Busch IV, as in Anheuser Busch Beer Company, that should tell ya something. It has many beautiful mansions and lots of land, so it is less crowded. The nice thing is that it is not crowded at all, but still in the city area, so it almost feels like you are living in a mini Forest Park, great for a family. Then, Ladue is probably my favorite area, it is a bit of more "old money" style (a lot of mansions from the 70's and stuff) but there are some really nice modern homes that I am sure will suffice. For Example, my best friend's Grandpa lives in a 3 million dollar mansion there, and it is definitely not old money. Not to mention it has some nice golf courses and is a very wealthy area with good education opportunities (John Burrows and other college prep schools). Town and Country is pretty much like Ladue, but a believe there is more range is size and cost of houses. Any other places near those three are the wealthiest parts of St. Louis and are, in my opinion some of the best and most beautiful. Clayton is a very nice area and is middle class to upper/rich class. Its almost like its own little city outside of the main city. This is a very nice place to live, the shopping is great and it is a very safe area. Other middle and upper class neighborhoods include Crestwood, Sunset Hills, Kirkwood, Frontenac, Creve Coeur, and Chesterfield (another one of my favorites, great shopping, woods, but also semi-close to city, nice houses, friendly, safe.) Those are only some of the areas in St. Louis, they are about 15 to 30 minutes away from the inner city. They are so beautiful and i think they will really be a great place to live and raise a family. Or if you prefer the suburbs, I will always love St. Charles County, right next door across the smaller river that I cant think of the name of right now. The good thing is that your job will pay well, so you can afford to live in a good area. As for Georgia, You have to worry about Hurricanes and Tornadoes, and other crap, here you only have to worry about torandoes haha. Doesn't Georgia have alligators too??? And they don't really have distinct seasons, rather just hot and cold. Missouri has snow, Georgia rarely does. Anyhow, I can't offer much advise for Georgia, but I can say that St. Louis just thrives with culture, it feels unique from other cities. This is a uniqueness i couldn't leave behind. I hope you come to caim St. Louis as your home! The city is calling you! I'm also a high schooler and I live in the greater St. Louis area. I've lived here my whole life so I think I can remind you and convince you to move back where you grew up. Not to mention, we need more businesses here anyway, that's something you could bring to the table. I know you said you know the State well, but just to remind you how amazing it is here. There are some amazing things here in St. Louis, since Jefferson City feels like it is in the middle of nowhere and Kansas City is just the whole other side of the state. Back to STL, As for your medical profession, St. Louis has Washington University, or more commonly referred to as "Wash U". Wash U is a top university in the U.S.. I believe it recently ranked 11th on some ranking. They also are affiliated and very involved in with a children's hospital and many other hospitals and medical centers as well, which would be great for your career. I have visited the campus and can verify to you that it is absolutely beautiful! Go look it up, it's also right next door to Forest Park (Much larger than central park). It is in a truly prime location, so i'm sure you'll love it. As for crime, its not that bad, most people, if any, only have experience a car window being broken. Although it is advised and agreed on by most people that you stay away from some parts of Northern St. Louis. There is usually little reason to go up there anyway, so you should be OK. My rule of thumb is don't go too far north or south. Lets just say if you start to see broken down brick buildings and weeds growing everwhere, you are most likely not in a good area. Obviously, on the other side of the river is East St. Louis, which you will want to stay away from. There is a high crime rate and strip clubs and its just not the prettiest place to be. But, once again, there is usually no reason to go there. Just wanted you to know. Anyway, after college, St. Louis will be a great place to call home. There are soooo many things to do and places to see. If you wanna check out some of these places on google, I'm sure you'll see why I love it here: The City Museum (a giant building made into a playground), The STL Zoo, The Art Museum,The History Museum, The Muny, Forest Park, The Loop, Grants Farm, The Arch, Ted Drewes (agreed by all STL citizens as the best ice cream ever), The FOX theatre, STL symphony, Kemoll's Restaurant (my favorite restaurant), and sometimes just driving around you'll find something new. These are only a few of the big ones, but there are wayyyyy more. So I promise you, it won't get boring. Moving on to the Married and family part, that nice salary from radiology and the thought of starting your own business brings me to the places to live. If you make enough, you could live in some of my favorite areas in St. Louis. I'm staying out of the inner city and in the surrounding areas. First is Huntleigh, Huntleigh is one of the wealthiest areas in the country. Some average incomes go well into the millions. It also has the residence of Busch IV, as in Anheuser Busch Beer Company, that should tell ya something. It has many beautiful mansions and lots of land, so it is less crowded. The nice thing is that it is not crowded at all, but still in the city area, so it almost feels like you are living in a mini Forest Park, great for a family. Then, Ladue is probably my favorite area, it is a bit of more "old money" style (a lot of mansions from the 70's and stuff) but there are some really nice modern homes that I am sure will suffice. For Example, my best friend's Grandpa lives in a 3 million dollar mansion there, and it is definitely not old money. Not to mention it has some nice golf courses and is a very wealthy area with good education opportunities (John Burrows and other college prep schools). Town and Country is pretty much like Ladue, but a believe there is more range is size and cost of houses. Any other places near those three are the wealthiest parts of St. Louis and are, in my opinion some of the best and most beautiful. Clayton is a very nice area and is middle class to upper/rich class. Its almost like its own little city outside of the main city. This is a very nice place to live, the shopping is great and it is a very safe area. Other middle and upper class neighborhoods include Crestwood, Sunset Hills, Kirkwood, Frontenac, Creve Coeur, and Chesterfield (another one of my favorites, great shopping, woods, but also semi-close to city, nice houses, friendly, safe.) Those are only some of the areas in St. Louis, they are about 15 to 30 minutes away from the inner city. They are so beautiful and i think they will really be a great place to live and raise a family. Or if you prefer the suburbs, I will always love St. Charles County, right next door across the smaller river that I cant think of the name of right now. The good thing is that your job will pay well, so you can afford to live in a good area. As for Georgia, You have to worry about Hurricanes and Tornadoes, and other crap, here you only have to worry about torandoes haha. Doesn't Georgia have alligators too??? And they don't really have distinct seasons, rather just hot and cold. Missouri has snow, Georgia rarely does. Anyhow, I can't offer much advise for Georgia, but I can say that St. Louis just thrives with culture, it feels unique from other cities. This is a uniqueness i couldn't leave behind. I hope you come to caim St. Louis as your home! The city is calling you! I'm also a high schooler and I live in the greater St. Louis area. I've lived here my whole life so I think I can remind you and convince you to move back where you grew up. Not to mention, we need more businesses here anyway, that's something you could bring to the table. I know you said you know the State well, but just to remind you how amazing it is here. There are some amazing things here in St. Louis, since Jefferson City feels like it is in the middle of nowhere and Kansas City is just the whole other side of the state. Back to STL, As for your medical profession, St. Louis has Washington University, or more commonly referred to as "Wash U". Wash U is a top university in the U.S.. I believe it recently ranked 11th on some ranking. They also are affiliated and very involved in with a children's hospital and many other hospitals and medical centers as well, which would be great for your career. I have visited the campus and can verify to you that it is absolutely beautiful! Go look it up, it's also right next door to Forest Park (Much larger than central park). It is in a truly prime location, so i'm sure you'll love it. As for crime, its not that bad, most people, if any, only have experience a car window being broken. Although it is advised and agreed on by most people that you stay away from some parts of Northern St. Louis. There is usually little reason to go up there anyway, so you should be OK. My rule of thumb is don't go too far north or south. Lets just say if you start to see broken down brick buildings and weeds growing everwhere, you are most likely not in a good area. Obviously, on the other side of the river is East St. Louis, which you will want to stay away from. There is a high crime rate and strip clubs and its just not the prettiest place to be. But, once again, there is usually no reason to go there. Just wanted you to know. Anyway, after college, St. Louis will be a great place to call home. There are soooo many things to do and places to see. If you wanna check out some of these places on google, I'm sure you'll see why I love it here: The City Museum (a giant building made into a playground), The STL Zoo, The Art Museum,The History Museum, The Muny, Forest Park, The Loop, Grants Farm, The Arch, Ted Drewes (agreed by all STL citizens as the best ice cream ever), The FOX theatre, STL symphony, Kemoll's Restaurant (my favorite restaurant), and sometimes just driving around you'll find something new. These are only a few of the big ones, but there are wayyyyy more. So I promise you, it won't get boring. Moving on to the Married and family part, that nice salary from radiology and the thought of starting your own business brings me to the places to live. If you make enough, you could live in some of my favorite areas in St. Louis. I'm staying out of the inner city and in the surrounding areas. First is Huntleigh, Huntleigh is one of the wealthiest areas in the country. Some average incomes go well into the millions. It also has the residence of Busch IV, as in Anheuser Busch Beer Company, that should tell ya something. It has many beautiful mansions and lots of land, so it is less crowded. The nice thing is that it is not crowded at all, but still in the city area, so it almost feels like you are living in a mini Forest Park, great for a family. Then, Ladue is probably my favorite area, it is a bit of more "old money" style (a lot of mansions from the 70's and stuff) but there are some really nice modern homes that I am sure will suffice. For Example, my best friend's Grandpa lives in a 3 million dollar mansion there, and it is definitely not old money. Not to mention it has some nice golf courses and is a very wealthy area with good education opportunities (John Burrows and other college prep schools). Town and Country is pretty much like Ladue, but a believe there is more range is size and cost of houses. Any other places near those three are the wealthiest parts of St. Louis and are, in my opinion some of the best and most beautiful. Clayton is a very nice area and is middle class to upper/rich class. Its almost like its own little city outside of the main city. This is a very nice place to live, the shopping is great and it is a very safe area. Other middle and upper class neighborhoods include Crestwood, Sunset Hills, Kirkwood, Frontenac, Creve Coeur, and Chesterfield (another one of my favorites, great shopping, woods, but also semi-close to city, nice houses, friendly, safe.) Those are only some of the areas in St. Louis, they are about 15 to 30 minutes away from the inner city. They are so beautiful and i think they will really be a great place to live and raise a family. Or if you prefer the suburbs, I will always love St. Charles County, right next door across the smaller river that I cant think of the name of right now. The good thing is that your job will pay well, so you can afford to live in a good area. As for Georgia, You have to worry about Hurricanes and Tornadoes, and other crap, here you only have to worry about torandoes haha. Doesn't Georgia have alligators too??? And they don't really have distinct seasons, rather just hot and cold. Missouri has snow, Georgia rarely does. Anyhow, I can't offer much advise for Georgia, but I can say that St. Louis just thrives with culture, it feels unique from other cities. This is a uniqueness i couldn't leave behind. I hope you come to caim St. Louis as your home! The city is calling you! I'm also a high schooler and I live in the greater St. Louis area. I've lived here my whole life so I think I can remind you and convince you to move back where you grew up. Not to mention, we need more businesses here anyway, that's something you could bring to the table. I know you said you know the State well, but just to remind you how amazing it is here. There are some amazing things here in St. Louis, since Jefferson City feels like it is in the middle of nowhere and Kansas City is just the whole other side of the state. Back to STL, As for your medical profession, St. Louis has Washington University, or more commonly referred to as "Wash U". Wash U is a top university in the U.S.. I believe it recently ranked 11th on some ranking. They also are affiliated and very involved in with a children's hospital and many other hospitals and medical centers as well, which would be great for your career. I have visited the campus and can verify to you that it is absolutely beautiful! Go look it up, it's also right next door to Forest Park (Much larger than central park). It is in a truly prime location, so i'm sure you'll love it. As for crime, its not that bad, most people, if any, only have experience a car window being broken. Although it is advised and agreed on by most people that you stay away from some parts of Northern St. Louis. There is usually little reason to go up there anyway, so you should be OK. My rule of thumb is don't go too far north or south. Lets just say if you start to see broken down brick buildings and weeds growing everwhere, you are most likely not in a good area. Obviously, on the other side of the river is East St. Louis, which you will want to stay away from. There is a high crime rate and strip clubs and its just not the prettiest place to be. But, once again, there is usually no reason to go there. Just wanted you to know. Anyway, after college, St. Louis will be a great place to call home. There are soooo many things to do and places to see. If you wanna check out some of these places on google, I'm sure you'll see why I love it here: The City Museum (a giant building made into a playground), The STL Zoo, The Art Museum,The History Museum, The Muny, Forest Park, The Loop, Grants Farm, The Arch, Ted Drewes (agreed by all STL citizens as the best ice cream ever), The FOX theatre, STL symphony, Kemoll's Restaurant (my favorite restaurant), and sometimes just driving around you'll find something new. These are only a few of the big ones, but there are wayyyyy more. So I promise you, it won't get boring. Moving on to the Married and family part, that nice salary from radiology and the thought of starting your own business brings me to the places to live. If you make enough, you could live in some of my favorite areas in St. Louis. I'm staying out of the inner city and in the surrounding areas. First is Huntleigh, Huntleigh is one of the wealthiest areas in the country. Some average incomes go well into the millions. It also has the residence of Busch IV, as in Anheuser Busch Beer Company, that should tell ya something. It has many beautiful mansions and lots of land, so it is less crowded. The nice thing is that it is not crowded at all, but still in the city area, so it almost feels like you are living in a mini Forest Park, great for a family. Then, Ladue is probably my favorite area, it is a bit of more "old money" style (a lot of mansions from the 70's and stuff) but there are some really nice modern homes that I am sure will suffice. For Example, my best friend's Grandpa lives in a 3 million dollar mansion there, and it is definitely not old money. Not to mention it has some nice golf courses and is a very wealthy area with good education opportunities (John Burrows and other college prep schools). Town and Country is pretty much like Ladue, but a believe there is more range is size and cost of houses. Any other places near those three are the wealthiest parts of St. Louis and are, in my opinion some of the best and most beautiful. Clayton is a very nice area and is middle class to upper/rich class. Its almost like its own little city outside of the main city. This is a very nice place to live, the shopping is great and it is a very safe area. Other middle and upper class neighborhoods include Crestwood, Sunset Hills, Kirkwood, Frontenac, Creve Coeur, and Chesterfield (another one of my favorites, great shopping, woods, but also semi-close to city, nice houses, friendly, safe.) Those are only some of the areas in St. Louis, they are about 15 to 30 minutes away from the inner city. They are so beautiful and i think they will really be a great place to live and raise a family. Or if you prefer the suburbs, I will always love St. Charles County, right next door across the smaller river that I cant think of the name of right now. The good thing is that your job will pay well, so you can afford to live in a good area. As for Georgia, You have to worry about Hurricanes and Tornadoes, and other crap, here you only have to worry about torandoes haha. Doesn't Georgia have alligators too??? And they don't really have distinct seasons, rather just hot and cold. Missouri has snow, Georgia rarely does. Anyhow, I can't offer much advise for Georgia, but I can say that St. Louis just thrives with culture, it feels unique from other cities. This is a uniqueness i couldn't leave behind. I hope you come to caim St. Louis as your home! The city is calling you! I'm also a high schooler and I live in the greater St. Louis area. I've lived here my whole life so I think I can remind you and convince you to move back where you grew up. Not to mention, we need more businesses here anyway, that's something you could bring to the table. I know you said you know the State well, but just to remind you how amazing it is here. There are some amazing things here in St. Louis, since Jefferson City feels like it is in the middle of nowhere and Kansas City is just the whole other side of the state. Back to STL, As for your medical profession, St. Louis has Washington University, or more commonly referred to as "Wash U". Wash U is a top university in the U.S.. I believe it recently ranked 11th on some ranking. They also are affiliated and very involved in with a children's hospital and many other hospitals and medical centers as well, which would be great for your career. I have visited the campus and can verify to you that it is absolutely beautiful! Go look it up, it's also right next door to Forest Park (Much larger than central park). It is in a truly prime location, so i'm sure you'll love it. As for crime, its not that bad, most people, if any, only have experience a car window being broken. Although it is advised and agreed on by most people that you stay away from some parts of Northern St. Louis. There is usually little reason to go up there anyway, so you should be OK. My rule of thumb is don't go too far north or south. Lets just say if you start to see broken down brick buildings and weeds growing everwhere, you are most likely not in a good area. Obviously, on the other side of the river is East St. Louis, which you will want to stay away from. There is a high crime rate and strip clubs and its just not the prettiest place to be. But, once again, there is usually no reason to go there. Just wanted you to know. Anyway, after college, St. Louis will be a great place to call home. There are soooo many things to do and places to see. If you wanna check out some of these places on google, I'm sure you'll see why I love it here: The City Museum (a giant building made into a playground), The STL Zoo, The Art Museum,The History Museum, The Muny, Forest Park, The Loop, Grants Farm, The Arch, Ted Drewes (agreed by all STL citizens as the best ice cream ever), The FOX theatre, STL symphony, Kemoll's Restaurant (my favorite restaurant), and sometimes just driving around you'll find something new. These are only a few of the big ones, but there are wayyyyy more. So I promise you, it won't get boring. Moving on to the Married and family part, that nice salary from radiology and the thought of starting your own business brings me to the places to live. If you make enough, you could live in some of my favorite areas in St. Louis. I'm staying out of the inner city and in the surrounding areas. First is Huntleigh, Huntleigh is one of the wealthiest areas in the country. Some average incomes go well into the millions. It also has the residence of Busch IV, as in Anheuser Busch Beer Company, that should tell ya something. It has many beautiful mansions and lots of land, so it is less crowded. The nice thing is that it is not crowded at all, but still in the city area, so it almost feels like you are living in a mini Forest Park, great for a family. Then, Ladue is probably my favorite area, it is a bit of more "old money" style (a lot of mansions from the 70's and stuff) but there are some really nice modern homes that I am sure will suffice. For Example, my best friend's Grandpa lives in a 3 million dollar mansion there, and it is definitely not old money. Not to mention it has some nice golf courses and is a very wealthy area with good education opportunities (John Burrows and other college prep schools). Town and Country is pretty much like Ladue, but a believe there is more range is size and cost of houses. Any other places near those three are the wealthiest parts of St. Louis and are, in my opinion some of the best and most beautiful. Clayton is a very nice area and is middle class to upper/rich class. Its almost like its own little city outside of the main city. This is a very nice place to live, the shopping is great and it is a very safe area. Other middle and upper class neighborhoods include Crestwood, Sunset Hills, Kirkwood, Frontenac, Creve Coeur, and Chesterfield (another one of my favorites, great shopping, woods, but also semi-close to city, nice houses, friendly, safe.) Those are only some of the areas in St. Louis, they are about 15 to 30 minutes away from the inner city. They are so beautiful and i think they will really be a great place to live and raise a family. Or if you prefer the suburbs, I will always love St. Charles County, right next door across the smaller river that I cant think of the name of right now. The good thing is that your job will pay well, so you can afford to live in a good area. As for Georgia, You have to worry about Hurricanes and Tornadoes, and other crap, here you only have to worry about torandoes haha. Doesn't Georgia have alligators too??? And they don't really have distinct seasons, rather just hot and cold. Missouri has snow, Georgia rarely does. Anyhow, I can't offer much advise for Georgia, but I can say that St. Louis just thrives with culture, it feels unique from other cities. This is a uniqueness i couldn't leave behind. I hope you come to caim St. Louis as your home! The city is calling you! I'm also a high schooler and I live in the greater St. Louis area. I've lived here my whole life so I think I can remind you and convince you to move back where you grew up. Not to mention, we need more businesses here anyway, that's something you could bring to the table. I know you said you know the State well, but just to remind you how amazing it is here. There are some amazing things here in St. Louis, since Jefferson City feels like it is in the middle of nowhere and Kansas City is just the whole other side of the state. Back to STL, As for your medical profession, St. Louis has Washington University, or more commonly referred to as "Wash U". Wash U is a top university in the U.S.. I believe it recently ranked 11th on some ranking. They also are affiliated and very involved in with a children's hospital and many other hospitals and medical centers as well, which would be great for your career. I have visited the campus and can verify to you that it is absolutely beautiful! Go look it up, it's also right next door to Forest Park (Much larger than central park). It is in a truly prime location, so i'm sure you'll love it. As for crime, its not that bad, most people, if any, only have experience a car window being broken. Although it is advised and agreed on by most people that you stay away from some parts of Northern St. Louis. There is usually little reason to go up there anyway, so you should be OK. My rule of thumb is don't go too far north or south. Lets just say if you start to see broken down brick buildings and weeds growing everwhere, you are most likely not in a good area. Obviously, on the other side of the river is East St. Louis, which you will want to stay away from. There is a high crime rate and strip clubs and its just not the prettiest place to be. But, once again, there is usually no reason to go there. Just wanted you to know. Anyway, after college, St. Louis will be a great place to call home. There are soooo many things to do and places to see. If you wanna check out some of these places on google, I'm sure you'll see why I love it here: The City Museum (a giant building made into a playground), The STL Zoo, The Art Museum,The History Museum, The Muny, Forest Park, The Loop, Grants Farm, The Arch, Ted Drewes (agreed by all STL citizens as the best ice cream ever), The FOX theatre, STL symphony, Kemoll's Restaurant (my favorite restaurant), and sometimes just driving around you'll find something new. These are only a few of the big ones, but there are wayyyyy more. So I promise you, it won't get boring. Moving on to the Married and family part, that nice salary from radiology and the thought of starting your own business brings me to the places to live. If you make enough, you could live in some of my favorite areas in St. Louis. I'm staying out of the inner city and in the surrounding areas. First is Huntleigh, Huntleigh is one of the wealthiest areas in the country. Some average incomes go well into the millions. It also has the residence of Busch IV, as in Anheuser Busch Beer Company, that should tell ya something. It has many beautiful mansions and lots of land, so it is less crowded. The nice thing is that it is not crowded at all, but still in the city area, so it almost feels like you are living in a mini Forest Park, great for a family. Then, Ladue is probably my favorite area, it is a bit of more "old money" style (a lot of mansions from the 70's and stuff) but there are some really nice modern homes that I am sure will suffice. For Example, my best friend's Grandpa lives in a 3 million dollar mansion there, and it is definitely not old money. Not to mention it has some nice golf courses and is a very wealthy area with good education opportunities (John Burrows and other college prep schools). Town and Country is pretty much like Ladue, but a believe there is more range is size and cost of houses. Any other places near those three are the wealthiest parts of St. Louis and are, in my opinion some of the best and most beautiful. Clayton is a very nice area and is middle class to upper/rich class. Its almost like its own little city outside of the main city. This is a very nice place to live, the shopping is great and it is a very safe area. Other middle and upper class neighborhoods include Crestwood, Sunset Hills, Kirkwood, Frontenac, Creve Coeur, and Chesterfield (another one of my favorites, great shopping, woods, but also semi-close to city, nice houses, friendly, safe.) Those are only some of the areas in St. Louis, they are about 15 to 30 minutes away from the inner city. They are so beautiful and i think they will really be a great place to live and raise a family. Or if you prefer the suburbs, I will always love St. Charles County, right next door across the smaller river that I cant think of the name of right now. The good thing is that your job will pay well, so you can afford to live in a good area. As for Georgia, You have to worry about Hurricanes and Tornadoes, and other crap, here you only have to worry about torandoes haha. Doesn't Georgia have alligators too??? And they don't really have distinct seasons, rather just hot and cold. Missouri has snow, Georgia rarely does. Anyhow, I can't offer much advise for Georgia, but I can say that St. Louis just thrives with culture, it feels unique from other cities. This is a uniqueness i couldn't leave behind. I hope you come to caim St. Louis as your home! The city is calling you! I'm also a high schooler and I live in the greater St. Louis area. I've lived here my whole life so I think I can remind you and convince you to move back where you grew up. Not to mention, we need more businesses here anyway, that's something you could bring to the table. I know you said you know the State well, but just to remind you how amazing it is here. There are some amazing things here in St. Louis, since Jefferson City feels like it is in the middle of nowhere and Kansas City is just the whole other side of the state. Back to STL, As for your medical profession, St. Louis has Washington University, or more commonly referred to as "Wash U". Wash U is a top university in the U.S.. I believe it recently ranked 11th on some ranking. They also are affiliated and very involved in with a children's hospital and many other hospitals and medical centers as well, which would be great for your career. I have visited the campus and can verify to you that it is absolutely beautiful! Go look it up, it's also right next door to Forest Park (Much larger than central park). It is in a truly prime location, so i'm sure you'll love it. As for crime, its not that bad, most people, if any, only have experience a car window being broken. Although it is advised and agreed on by most people that you stay away from some parts of Northern St. Louis. There is usually little reason to go up there anyway, so you should be OK. My rule of thumb is don't go too far north or south. Lets just say if you start to see broken down brick buildings and weeds growing everwhere, you are most likely not in a good area. Obviously, on the other side of the river is East St. Louis, which you will want to stay away from. There is a high crime rate and strip clubs and its just not the prettiest place to be. But, once again, there is usually no reason to go there. Just wanted you to know. Anyway, after college, St. Louis will be a great place to call home. There are soooo many things to do and places to see. If you wanna check out some of these places on google, I'm sure you'll see why I love it here: The City Museum (a giant building made into a playground), The STL Zoo, The Art Museum,The History Museum, The Muny, Forest Park, The Loop, Grants Farm, The Arch, Ted Drewes (agreed by all STL citizens as the best ice cream ever), The FOX theatre, STL symphony, Kemoll's Restaurant (my favorite restaurant), and sometimes just driving around you'll find something new. These are only a few of the big ones, but there are wayyyyy more. So I promise you, it won't get boring. Moving on to the Married and family part, that nice salary from radiology and the thought of starting your own business brings me to the places to live. If you make enough, you could live in some of my favorite areas in St. Louis. I'm staying out of the inner city and in the surrounding areas. First is Huntleigh, Huntleigh is one of the wealthiest areas in the country. Some average incomes go well into the millions. It also has the residence of Busch IV, as in Anheuser Busch Beer Company, that should tell ya something. It has many beautiful mansions and lots of land, so it is less crowded. The nice thing is that it is not crowded at all, but still in the city area, so it almost feels like you are living in a mini Forest Park, great for a family. Then, Ladue is probably my favorite area, it is a bit of more "old money" style (a lot of mansions from the 70's and stuff) but there are some really nice modern homes that I am sure will suffice. For Example, my best friend's Grandpa lives in a 3 million dollar mansion there, and it is definitely not old money. Not to mention it has some nice golf courses and is a very wealthy area with good education opportunities (John Burrows and other college prep schools). Town and Country is pretty much like Ladue, but a believe there is more range is size and cost of houses. Any other places near those three are the wealthiest parts of St. Louis and are, in my opinion some of the best and most beautiful. Clayton is a very nice area and is middle class to upper/rich class. Its almost like its own little city outside of the main city. This is a very nice place to live, the shopping is great and it is a very safe area. Other middle and upper class neighborhoods include Crestwood, Sunset Hills, Kirkwood, Frontenac, Creve Coeur, and Chesterfield (another one of my favorites, great shopping, woods, but also semi-close to city, nice houses, friendly, safe.) Those are only some of the areas in St. Louis, they are about 15 to 30 minutes away from the inner city. They are so beautiful and i think they will really be a great place to live and raise a family. Or if you prefer the suburbs, I will always love St. Charles County, right next door across the smaller river that I cant think of the name of right now. The good thing is that your job will pay well, so you can afford to live in a good area. As for Georgia, You have to worry about Hurricanes and Tornadoes, and other crap, here you only have to worry about torandoes haha. Doesn't Georgia have alligators too??? And they don't really have distinct seasons, rather just hot and cold. Missouri has snow, Georgia rarely does. Anyhow, I can't offer much advise for Georgia, but I can say that St. Louis just thrives with culture, it feels unique from other cities. This is a uniqueness i couldn't leave behind. I hope you come to caim St. Louis as your home! The city is calling you!
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

Anyway, if you want to work in the medical industry, take a look mostly in Atlanta, St. Louis and Kansas City. I think St. Louis and Kansas City have somewhat underrated economies, and Atlanta has had a somewhat overrated economy since about 2000 (not that it's bad, just that it's not as good as it was during the 1980s and 1990s). One thing Atlanta definitely has going for it is scale, though, because it's bigger than the St. Louis and Kansas City metropolitan areas combined. Outside of the major cities, rural Missouri doesn't seem to be any worse off than rural Georgia.

Personally, I'd make my decision based on your relationship with your family, and how well you deal with change. If you're tight with your family, or if you don't handle big changes well, then you'd probably be better off in Missouri since you're familiar with it and you won't be too far from home. If you sincerely want to wipe the slate clean and go with an entirely new experience, then give Georgia a look.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:04 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedmed1 View Post
I'm also a high schooler and I live in the greater St. Louis area. I've lived here my whole life so I think I can remind you and convince you to move back where you grew up. Not to mention, we need more businesses here anyway, that's something you could bring to the table. I know you said you know the State well, but just to remind you how amazing it is here. There are some amazing things here in St. Louis, since Jefferson City feels like it is in the middle of nowhere and Kansas City is just the whole other side of the state. Back to STL, As for your medical profession, St. Louis has Washington University, or more commonly referred to as "Wash U". Wash U is a top university in the U.S.. I believe it recently ranked 11th on some ranking. They also are affiliated and very involved in with a children's hospital and many other hospitals and medical centers as well, which would be great for your career. I have visited the campus and can verify to you that it is absolutely beautiful! Go look it up, it's also right next door to Forest Park (Much larger than central park). It is in a truly prime location, so i'm sure you'll love it. As for crime, its not that bad, most people, if any, only have experience a car window being broken. Although it is advised and agreed on by most people that you stay away from some parts of Northern St. Louis. There is usually little reason to go up there anyway, so you should be OK. My rule of thumb is don't go too far north or south. Lets just say if you start to see broken down brick buildings and weeds growing everwhere, you are most likely not in a good area. Obviously, on the other side of the river is East St. Louis, which you will want to stay away from. There is a high crime rate and strip clubs and its just not the prettiest place to be. But, once again, there is usually no reason to go there. Just wanted you to know. Anyway, after college, St. Louis will be a great place to call home. There are soooo many things to do and places to see. If you wanna check out some of these places on google, I'm sure you'll see why I love it here: The City Museum (a giant building made into a playground), The STL Zoo, The Art Museum,The History Museum, The Muny, Forest Park, The Loop, Grants Farm, The Arch, Ted Drewes (agreed by all STL citizens as the best ice cream ever), The FOX theatre, STL symphony, Kemoll's Restaurant (my favorite restaurant), and sometimes just driving around you'll find something new. These are only a few of the big ones, but there are wayyyyy more. So I promise you, it won't get boring. Moving on to the Married and family part, that nice salary from radiology and the thought of starting your own business brings me to the places to live. If you make enough, you could live in some of my favorite areas in St. Louis. I'm staying out of the inner city and in the surrounding areas. First is Huntleigh, Huntleigh is one of the wealthiest areas in the country. Some average incomes go well into the millions. It also has the residence of Busch IV, as in Anheuser Busch Beer Company, that should tell ya something. It has many beautiful mansions and lots of land, so it is less crowded. The nice thing is that it is not crowded at all, but still in the city area, so it almost feels like you are living in a mini Forest Park, great for a family. Then, Ladue is probably my favorite area, it is a bit of more "old money" style (a lot of mansions from the 70's and stuff) but there are some really nice modern homes that I am sure will suffice. For Example, my best friend's Grandpa lives in a 3 million dollar mansion there, and it is definitely not old money. Not to mention it has some nice golf courses and is a very wealthy area with good education opportunities (John Burrows and other college prep schools). Town and Country is pretty much like Ladue, but a believe there is more range is size and cost of houses. Any other places near those three are the wealthiest parts of St. Louis and are, in my opinion some of the best and most beautiful. Clayton is a very nice area and is middle class to upper/rich class. Its almost like its own little city outside of the main city. This is a very nice place to live, the shopping is great and it is a very safe area. Other middle and upper class neighborhoods include Crestwood, Sunset Hills, Kirkwood, Frontenac, Creve Coeur, and Chesterfield (another one of my favorites, great shopping, woods, but also semi-close to city, nice houses, friendly, safe.) Those are only some of the areas in St. Louis, they are about 15 to 30 minutes away from the inner city. They are so beautiful and i think they will really be a great place to live and raise a family. Or if you prefer the suburbs, I will always love St. Charles County, right next door across the smaller river that I cant think of the name of right now. The good thing is that your job will pay well, so you can afford to live in a good area. As for Georgia, You have to worry about Hurricanes and Tornadoes, and other crap, here you only have to worry about torandoes haha. Doesn't Georgia have alligators too??? And they don't really have distinct seasons, rather just hot and cold. Missouri has snow, Georgia rarely does. Anyhow, I can't offer much advise for Georgia, but I can say that St. Louis just thrives with culture, it feels unique from other cities. This is a uniqueness i couldn't leave behind. I hope you come to caim St. Louis as your home! The city is calling you!
It would take less time to read War and Peace.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:30 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,403 times
Does War and Peace indent? That might give it the edge.

Seriously, though, the OP needs to keep in mind that they're moving to a locality within the state, not an entire state. Georgia is the largest state East of the Mississippi, and thus has many regions and unique places within its boundaries. Rather than closing on a choice based on state data, perhaps researching the immediate areas around your potential school/colleges would be more helpful.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:18 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It would take less time to read War and Peace.
Or even paragraphs might be nice.... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia