U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-07-2008, 08:18 AM

40 posts, read 142,181 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite southernism? What does it mean to you? I love some of the old southern expressions - like "that dog won't hunt" and "useless as teats on a boar hog". (They are much more descriptive and fun than those text message combo-words.) You may have heard such expressions from your grandparents or, for newcomers, from a town elder. At any rate, we don't hear them much anymore. I thought it would be fun to tap memories and get a collection going!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 11:48 AM

138 posts, read 484,865 times
It's so good it'll make you want to slap yo mama.

Stop when it sounds expensive. This term is used when backing up a vehicle.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:17 PM

177 posts, read 685,946 times
My FAVORITE Southern saying I've heard so far (used when you're looking for something and finally find it) "even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then". This one was from our attorney who finally found the correct paper after much looking and I almost fell over from laughing so hard when I first heard it.

Also down where we live (rural area S. of Atlanta) "Southern" words which are actually English in origin: "boot" for trunk, "bonnet" for under the hood.

"ordering groceries" for going to the grocery store

Very old saying for money in our neck of the woods: "ducky" or "duckies" which I believe is from "ducat/s" (European coins that remained in use for some time in areas that are now U.S.)

"kick up sand" : make a fuss

"crank up the car" as in start the car

this I'l write phonetically, as I have NO clue how to spell it: "tee-teed in my oh-oaties" as in, "I almost tee-teed in my oh-oaties" (almost pissed in my pants). This from some Southern folks of Scottish descent who have lived in our area since FOREVER.

I LOVE the richness of language in the South.

zebbie

Old 01-07-2008, 01:28 PM

177 posts, read 685,946 times
oooh, oooh, here are a couple more:

"John Brown it" (damn it)

"full of mud" (full of crap), such as "you're full of mud"

"when you start showing your face instead of your ass" (used to say "I'll talk to you when you start acting nice").

And, of course: "bless his (or her) heart" followed by a criticism

"heifer" (or is that heiffer?) for a "trashy" woman.

zebbie

Old 01-07-2008, 01:42 PM

138 posts, read 484,865 times
Useta could and might still can are used a lot.

This one stresses me: Cut off the lights - - - Cut on the lights. Should I take a pair of scissors to the lights???

Oh, and this. Did you know that when you drop paper IN the floor it doesn't go down a hole in the floor? It stays on the floor.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:58 PM

857 posts, read 3,277,292 times
Cuter than a speckled puppy's butt.

Or when something is perceived to be too expensive my hubby says "I wouldn't pay THAT much to see a gnat eat a bale of hay!"

Old 01-07-2008, 04:04 PM

546 posts, read 1,079,637 times
If you ask somebody if they are drunk they will say "drunker than Cootie Brown!"

LOL. I was rollin when I heard that one. Does anybody know who is Cootie Brown?

Old 01-07-2008, 04:58 PM

722 posts, read 2,280,756 times
two words: fixin to ___________

Old 01-07-2008, 07:00 PM

17 posts, read 64,659 times
Cuttin the fool -means joking around.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:04 PM

283 posts, read 838,519 times
Y'all its colder than a well diggers butt (witches tit) depending on what area your from. And it really is too, here in the mountains of Cali; but, snow has been great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia