U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 11:30 AM

4,464 posts, read 7,259,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Some of it probably has to do with the phallocentric obsession with skyscrapers that exists on CD.

The best downtown in Georgia is Savannah. It's not even really arguable.

My current favorite downtowns:

Dahlonega
Blue Ridge
Madison
Thomasville
Athens
Decatur
Newnan
LaGrange
Rome

By 2026, I think these downtowns will make significant transitions:

Atlanta (big time)
Columbus
Macon
Greensboro
Brunswick
Pine Mountain
Sandy Springs
Stone Mountain

Downtowns with crazy good potential, but I'm not sure the will to transform is there:

Waynesboro
Augusta
Sparta

These are the ones that especially interest me; great bones, but apparently forgotten. Eastern Georgia from Augusta down to the FL line is loaded with these types of towns.

https://vanishingsouthgeorgia.com/
These are interesting lists. I'm aware there is a Ritz-Carlton resort over near Greensboro. Otherwise, I don't really hear about Greensboro hardly any.

What's going on with Brunswick and Pine Mountain? The latter has an interesting little square of a downtown right next to Callaway Gardens. Interested to hear what will be significant about it.

To Norton, do you happen to know the vacancy rates for downtown Augusta? Speaking in regards to residential and commercial.

Surprised nobody really mentions Valdosta anymore.

Oh, I would add Waycross to that list of downtowns with crazy potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 01:26 PM

22,796 posts, read 34,841,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
These are interesting lists. I'm aware there is a Ritz-Carlton resort over near Greensboro. Otherwise, I don't really hear about Greensboro hardly any.

What's going on with Brunswick and Pine Mountain? The latter has an interesting little square of a downtown right next to Callaway Gardens. Interested to hear what will be significant about it.

To Norton, do you happen to know the vacancy rates for downtown Augusta? Speaking in regards to residential and commercial.

Surprised nobody really mentions Valdosta anymore.

Oh, I would add Waycross to that list of downtowns with crazy potentia
l.
Funny, I almost included them but it's been so long since I've been to either city. I do seem to remember Valdosta having a nice little downtown. I also liked the VSU campus with its' pretty Mediterranean style.

Brunswick has been quietly gentrifying its' downtown area for years. They secured federal funds to refurbish the downtown streetscapes along with adjacent Mary Ross Waterfront Park:

Home

The reclamation of the historic Ritz Theater was a feather in their cap as well:

Ritz Theatre in Brunswick Georgia

It's loaded with beautiful late Victorian architecture, and has a great riverside setting. Ben Affleck recently used it as a substitute for 20's era Ybor City in his new movie Live By Night:

Filming of 'Live by Night' heats up in Brunswick as record temperatures settle over area

As far as Pine Mountain goes, I think that the town will continue to attract more people due to its' location, beautiful surrounding topography and the charm that it already possesses. There's plenty to build on there.

Greensboro has a very quaint downtown and it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't catch up to nearby Madison in the near future.

Downtown Greensboro - Home

Old 12-27-2016, 02:56 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,285 posts, read 12,297,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
Are these projects off the ground?
Yes, except for the TSplost projects which are mostly coming between 2017/2020.

Renovations underway at Sibley Mill for new cyber hub

Unisys to add 400 new jobs as renovations near completion

The Miller theater, Fairfield Inn by Marriott, and Hyatt House are underway too

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post

5% residential.. The occupancy rate for commercial is kinda tricky. I do know they did a recent study regarding thee professional buildings to attract companies similar to Unisys and it was 25% vacant.

Last edited by nortonguy; 12-27-2016 at 03:10 PM..

Old 12-27-2016, 05:24 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,879,512 times
A few more that have not been mentioned but have a great old bones and tons of potential:

-- Griffin (wide tree-lined boulevards and 1800s commercial buildings including an opera house)
-- Vidalia (nice stock of commercial buildings that have unfortunately been victim to an ill-fated decision to one-way the streets through town)
-- Hawkinsville (ditto Vidalia on the one-way streets, but with a beautiful old brick hospital [abadoned] right on the main entrance into town)
-- Fitzgerald (historic downtown with brick streets and late 19th century buildings, laid out and planned to be a retirement home for Civil War soldiers both North and South. A true Georgia treasure few know about)
-- Dublin (Surprisingly large downtown anchored by the handsome 7-story First National Bank Building)

Two more that are really happening now:
-- Statesboro (bustling brick sidewalks lined with shops, bars and restaurants; finally taking advantage of the nearby GSU crowd)
-- Milledgeville (Georgia's Civil War Capital, one of of the most beautiful towns in the state with an awesome downtown immediately adjacent to the stunning campus of GCSU. Downtown Milledgeville is GORGEOUS!)

Last edited by Newsboy; 12-27-2016 at 05:33 PM..

Old 12-27-2016, 06:12 PM

1,652 posts, read 1,294,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Downtown Milledgeville is GORGEOUS!)
All those jokes I heard in childhood -- "You're going to Milledgeville!", much like "You belong on Bull Street" in Columbia, S.C., as that's where the notorious state asylums for the insane were located -- did M'ville such a terrible injustice. It's a stunning town with a rich history.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:29 AM

4,464 posts, read 7,259,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
A few more that have not been mentioned but have a great old bones and tons of potential:

-- Griffin (wide tree-lined boulevards and 1800s commercial buildings including an opera house)
-- Vidalia (nice stock of commercial buildings that have unfortunately been victim to an ill-fated decision to one-way the streets through town)
-- Hawkinsville (ditto Vidalia on the one-way streets, but with a beautiful old brick hospital [abadoned] right on the main entrance into town)
-- Fitzgerald (historic downtown with brick streets and late 19th century buildings, laid out and planned to be a retirement home for Civil War soldiers both North and South. A true Georgia treasure few know about)
-- Dublin (Surprisingly large downtown anchored by the handsome 7-story First National Bank Building)

Two more that are really happening now:
-- Statesboro (bustling brick sidewalks lined with shops, bars and restaurants; finally taking advantage of the nearby GSU crowd)
-- Milledgeville (Georgia's Civil War Capital, one of of the most beautiful towns in the state with an awesome downtown immediately adjacent to the stunning campus of GCSU. Downtown Milledgeville is GORGEOUS!)
Ahh.. how could I have forgotten Dublin and Milledgeville! I drive through those places frequently along 441.

When you really take the time to think about it, Georgia has some real gems.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:11 AM

4 posts, read 2,796 times
I'd have to say...

1.Atlanta (Kennesaw, Woodstock, Marietta)
2.Savannah
3.Columbus
4.Macon
5.Augusta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or