Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 06:22 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,113 times

Advertisements

Don't know how these tiny GA towns (Blue Ridge, pop. 2000) even earn a mention on a thread about "GA downtowns." Even Dahlonega -- as lovely as any and almost 3 times the population of Blue Ridge -- doesn't qualify. A town square, three family restaurants, and knickknack shops just do not a "downtown" make, and there's no chance they'd approach "top 5" status in the state anytime soon ("soon" being the rest of the 21st century). Atlanta, Savannah, and Athens will be at the top for decades to come. Only 2 more candidates, folks. TWO.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 12-26-2016 at 06:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 10:31 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,380,472 times
I didn't understand the question to be one about tall towers and population. Blue Ridge is far more interesting and inviting than downtown Atlanta.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:39 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Don't know how these tiny GA towns (Blue Ridge, pop. 2000) even earn a mention on a thread about "GA downtowns." Even Dahlonega -- as lovely as any and almost 3 times the population of Blue Ridge -- doesn't qualify. A town square, three family restaurants, and knickknack shops just do not a "downtown" make, and there's no chance they'd approach "top 5" status in the state anytime soon ("soon" being the rest of the 21st century). Atlanta, Savannah, and Athens will be at the top for decades to come. Only 2 more candidates, folks. TWO.
4. Madison
5. Rome

Old 12-27-2016, 06:55 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I didn't understand the question to be one about tall towers and population. Blue Ridge is far more interesting and inviting than downtown Atlanta.
Some of it probably has to do with the phallocentric obsession with skyscrapers that exists on CD.

The best downtown in Georgia is Savannah. It's not even really arguable.

My current favorite downtowns:

Dahlonega
Blue Ridge
Madison
Thomasville
Athens
Decatur
Newnan
LaGrange
Rome

By 2026, I think these downtowns will make significant transitions:

Atlanta (big time)
Columbus
Macon
Greensboro
Brunswick
Pine Mountain
Sandy Springs
Stone Mountain

Downtowns with crazy good potential, but I'm not sure the will to transform is there:

Waynesboro
Augusta
Sparta

These are the ones that especially interest me; great bones, but apparently forgotten. Eastern Georgia from Augusta down to the FL line is loaded with these types of towns.

https://vanishingsouthgeorgia.com/

Old 12-27-2016, 07:09 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,380,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
What's going on in Blue Ridge?
I encourage you to visit there and see for yourself. Great shops, very good restaurants, lots of pedestrians, lots of folks with their dogs. Really a very pretty and engaging town.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:13 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Some of it probably has to do with the phallocentric obsession with skyscrapers that exists on CD.

The best downtown in Georgia is Savannah. It's not even really arguable.

My current favorite downtowns:

Dahlonega
Blue Ridge
Madison
Thomasville
Athens
Decatur
Newnan
LaGrange
Rome

By 2026, I think these downtowns will make significant transitions:

Atlanta (big time)
Columbus
Macon
Greensboro
Brunswick
Pine Mountain
Sandy Springs
Stone Mountain

Downtowns with crazy good potential, but I'm not sure the will to transform is there:

Waynesboro
Augusta
Sparta

These are the ones that especially interest me; great bones, but apparently forgotten. Eastern Georgia from Augusta down to the FL line is loaded with these types of towns.

https://vanishingsouthgeorgia.com/
What criteria are you using for the 'will' to transform? None of the cities you mentioned above have anything on the scale of the Cyber Works in Augusta. The $150 million project doesn't include the nearby King Mill.

How many of those cities have $83 million going towards their downtown infrastructure including $25 million for the main strip(Broad)? Augusta voted or TSPLOST..
Broad Street redesign plans bring questions about parking | WJBF-TV

How many of those cities had a large employer move downtown and create hundreds of jobs? Unisys represents $20 million and 700 jobs..

I haven't even mentioned the former train depot site which before the recession was another $100 million development. The new plan will be announced in 2017 and feature mixed-use.

Evens Athens which has a nicer downtown at the moment is building a Hyatt Place while Augusta is getting the more upscale Hyatt House. I definitely believe Augusta has the 'will' to transform if private developers are building three different hotels downtown.

Last edited by nortonguy; 12-27-2016 at 08:34 AM..

Old 12-27-2016, 08:45 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
What criteria are you using for the 'will' to transform? None of the cities you mentioned above have anything on the scale of the Cyber Works in Augusta. The $150 million project doesn't include the nearby King Mill.

How many of those cities have $83 million going towards their downtown infrastructure including $25 million for the main strip(Broad)? Augusta voted or TSPLOST..

How many of those cities had a large employer move downtown and create hundreds of jobs? Unisys represents $20 millihome to on and 700 jobs..

I haven't even mentioned the former train depot site which before the recession was another $100 million development. The new plan will be announced in 2017 and feature mixed-use.

Evens Athens which has a nicer downtown at the moment is building a Hyatt Place while Augusta is getting the more upscale Hyatt House. I definitely believe Augusta has the 'will' to transform if private developers are building three different hotels downtown.
In the case of Augusta, I'm delighted to be wrong. It always seemed to me that progress was slow in coming to downtown. Apparently I'm just not up to speed:

https://yearofmonths.wordpress.com/2...ay-augusta-ga/

Augusta's also home to one of my favorite museums in the US:

Morris Museum of Art Homepage

Old 12-27-2016, 10:08 AM

841 posts, read 1,401,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon478 View Post
I agree... This is just a prime example how ppl will just start to bash Macon out of pure jealousy and from the lack of knowledge of what going on Downtown. There is no one in their right mind that can truly say downtown Macon today is DEAD....

For those who think DT Macon is DEAD..

Here is a Website for Living Downtown Macon that includes all of the completed loft projects and available for leasing. Keep in mind these are the completed ones and does not include the ones proposed or under construction.

Living Downtown | NewTown Macon

This link are ones currently under construction or near completion

Current Construction | NewTown Macon

https://www.liveatlofts.com/our-properties/

Old 12-27-2016, 10:35 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,162,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post

How many of those cities had a large employer move downtown and create hundreds of jobs? Unisys represents $20 million and 700 jobs..

Are these projects off the ground?

Old 12-27-2016, 11:11 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,475,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
For those who think DT Macon is DEAD..

Here is a Website for Living Downtown Macon that includes all of the completed loft projects and available for leasing. Keep in mind these are the completed ones and does not include the ones proposed or under construction.

Living Downtown | NewTown Macon

This link are ones currently under construction or near completion

Current Construction | NewTown Macon

https://www.liveatlofts.com/our-properties/
Wow,, even more than i thought is going up in Macon. Macon is starting to look like Loft City, lol.. If they can only Gentrify South Macon ( old City Limits), that would be a ++. That's where the blunt of the poverty lies in the City IMO...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia